(Topic ID: 132375)

Need help with ACDC price and versions

By Brad76

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Have a friend looking for an ACDC. He has a dealer in the Midwest that he found. He is asking me for help on a price and I told him there are several versions of the game and that I have not been able to really keep track with all of the new games, meaning what versions are what? It looks like there is a Pro, I'm assuming thats the most basic? Then an LED pro that according to sterns sight has LEDS and a rocking bell. Then a premium with the lower playfield, LED's and powdercoating. Does it have anything else other than that in reality? How are people liking the lower playfield? Then there seems to be the Limited edition BIBLE and LTBR editions. These seem to be mainly the shaker motor and enhanced subwoofer? Then there is the Luci version which I cannot tell what it offers other then a different cabinet version? Sorry for the lack of insite but I'm hoping someone can fill me in a bit more on the options, your opinions and what do you feel should be a common price for each NIB from a dealer?

Thanks for the help!!!! Much appreciated

#2 8 years ago

Production ended last fall. Maybe a few NIB pros lying around in dealers inventory. I doubt you will find any NIB premiums from Dealers. LE's are long gone.

#3 8 years ago

You've got it pretty much nailed. The pro is the lesser of the lot, and can be had now for under 4k. The pro LED version will run between 4-5k. The premium is by far a better machine, but now your price bumps up to near 6k if not over it by this point, especially if it has mods (like a shaker motor installed, which usually comes with LEs). Those machines are starting to push toward 7k (lots of debate on other threads). The Luci does have different artwork, and they made far less of them, but the gameplay is the same. The suckers...er...people that bought them are sitting pretty now because that machine seems to hover in the 8k range right about now. And you can just forget the LEs...while they are the most desirable of ACDC machines, they're also the priciest and will set you back 5 figures. Good luck in your hunt!

#4 8 years ago

Duh. It was the "it's too late for me to be posting" double post...

#5 8 years ago

I think the sweet-spot for this title WAS definitely the premium.... Really good bang-for-the-buck as a upgrade over the pro version.

The challenge is the premium supply has continued to be tight- and it seems to be getting even tighter!

Some predicted KISS would cause an easing of the market price, but it has NOT. People seem to be hanging onto their ACDC's and selling other pins if needed to fund new purchases.

Still, I'd hold out for a premium.... Just be prepared to wait. And it you DO come across one, be prepared to move fast.

If you find one for sale and the price starts with a "5" - I'd say pounce. But be more likely prepared to find ones that begin with a "6"

#6 8 years ago

I'd say the average prices are around 3-4k for a pro, 5-6k for a premium, and around 10-11k for an LE.

The asking prices of premiums has shot up recently since production ended, however I'm not sure if they will actually sell at those prices, and if that trend will actually last.

As for differences between the versions, the biggest difference is from Pro to Premium, which adds the lower playfield, LEDs, the swinging bell, drop targets, and other cosmetic toys (the train, the dancing band, etc.) I'd say the lower playfield is kind of a bore, but for me the drop targets alone are worth the upgrade.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

I'd say the average prices are around 3-4k for a pro, 5-6k for a premium, and around 10-11k for an LE.
The asking prices of premiums has shot up recently since production ended, however I'm not sure if they will actually sell at those prices,

They have.... and higher than your 5-6K estimate... more like 5.5-7

Look no further than the marketplace here:
3-4 ACDC Premiums WANTED
0 for sale.

That's been the trend for MONTHS.

I sold mine a month+ ago and I STILL get PMs with offers to buy.

#8 8 years ago

Once Stern does another run of Luci (at these prices they would be stupid not to), the frenzy will begin. All of a sudden there will be plenty for sale.

And my data for that was IM. They were not moving at all, and the ones that did were for crazy prices. When the Vault hit there were more 2010 games tossed into the market than there had been for a year. So Stern can shake up the market and make a few buck. Win win.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

3-4 ACDC Premiums WANTED
0 for sale.

3-4 wanted? Try 11. And I'd like to PM you to tell you how much I'm enjoying mine and how glad I am that I paid a little more while the lowballers are sitting around without a machine and wondering what went wrong.

#10 8 years ago

I am one of those who paid a premium for a premium. I had been looking for months for the right machine, and there are not many out there.

Paid a little more than planned, but happy to have one to play now.

I'm not worried about a VE. If one is made, it wont be for a while, and would likely be in the mid 7's plus shipping anyway.

We should be more concerned about a general price bubble for all pinball machines, not pricing on individual models.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

3-4 ACDC Premiums WANTED
0 for sale.

Probable because it's still showing in your collection and u don't let anyone know it sold.

#12 8 years ago

Don't completely ignore the Pro. While it's true that the Premium does have nicer upgrades compared to most other new Stern themes, AC/DC is mainly loved for its fantastic ruleset which is nearly identical on the Pro and Premium.

LEDs and powdercoating are great, but they can be added at your own discretion for less cost on a Pro. Drop targets are nice, but they also require more maintenance than stand ups and make the Premium a slower playing machine than the Pro. Lower playfield on the Premium is underused and kills flow, IMO. You also have to beware of foggy windows on older Premium/LE machines.

With all of that said, I would still upgrade my Pro to a Premium for the right price.

Here in Canada, prices are ~5k for a mint HUO pro and ~2.5k more for a mint HUO premium.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from slow1000rider03:

Probable because it's still showing in your collection and u don't let anyone know it sold.

Yikes- I need update.... However, I assumed CLOSING the marketplace ad and locking the for sale thread was sufficient.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

And my data for that was IM. They were not moving at all, and the ones that did were for crazy prices. When the Vault hit there were more 2010 games tossed into the market than there had been for a year. So Stern can shake up the market and make a few buck. Win win.

Yep. When Stern announced IMVE, the price of IM dropped by nearly $1,000 overnight. It was pretty crazy.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Yep. When Stern announced IMVE, the price of IM dropped by nearly $1,000 overnight. It was pretty crazy.

Even if they announced an ACDC VE, by the time that happens, I'll still have put $1000 worth of play into mine. No worries here.

For an expensive hobby, there sure are a lot of penny pinchers around here.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

For an expensive hobby, there sure are a lot of penny pinchers around here.

Just because it's an expensive hobby doesn't mean people shouldn't care about prices. In my opinion, prudence is one of the best qualities a person can possess.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

The Luci does have different artwork, and they made far less of them, but the gameplay is the same. The suckers...er...people that bought them are sitting pretty now because that machine seems to hover in the 8k range right about now.

When did Luci become an $8k game?

#19 8 years ago

That's what I thought..... and it seemed like LE's were dropping below $10k as well, especially the non-BIB ones

#20 8 years ago

It's possible some NIB Lucis may have gone for that much, but I've never heard of a used one selling for $8K.

#21 8 years ago

I thought a modded Luci sold for $8,500 2 weeks ago. There was discussion about it in another thread.

#22 8 years ago

$9500

#23 8 years ago

One for $8.5 and another for $9.5.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

I thought a modded Luci sold for $8,500 2 weeks ago. There was discussion about it in another thread.

Quoted from luckymoey:

Wow! I stand corrected. That seems like an awful lot of cash for a Luci. What kind of mods did they have? Despite those sales, I'm still not convinced it's an $8K game. I can't imagine there are very many people who would be willing to shell out that kind of money for one. Assuming the average price of a HUO premium is $6K, are Lucis really worth $2K more?

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Don't completely ignore the Pro. While it's true that the Premium does have nicer upgrades compared to most other new Stern themes, AC/DC is mainly loved for its fantastic ruleset which is nearly identical on the Pro and Premium.
LEDs and powdercoating are great, but they can be added at your own discretion for less cost on a Pro. Drop targets are nice, but they also require more maintenance than stand ups and make the Premium a slower playing machine than the Pro. Lower playfield on the Premium is underused and kills flow, IMO. You also have to beware of foggy windows on older Premium/LE machines.
With all of that said, I would still upgrade my Pro to a Premium for the right price.
Here in Canada, prices are ~5k for a mint HUO pro and ~2.5k more for a mint HUO premium.

The pro isn't even close to the premium. Forget just the powder coating - you're missing the best features which are the RGB leds that change color with the selected song, the three colors of GI lights that also change with song selection and the swinging bell.

The pro is a dog compared to the premium.

#26 8 years ago

Oh and the huge 12" woofer in the cabinet.

#27 8 years ago

I want a Luci, but there is no way I would pay that much for one. I'm not pinching pennies, I've just seen enough price swings to know that they don't sustain themselves. At some point the market will bring one to me at a realistic price... or it won't. I have faith in you Gary... crash this market.

Quoted from Black_Knight:

I'm not worried about a VE. If one is made, it wont be for a while, and would likely be in the mid 7's plus shipping anyway.

I'm not thinking VE, I'm just thinking another run. But I think the mid 7's is too high and wouldn't clear them out quickly. At the normal street prices Luci was selling for, they would rip through them quickly. Easy money for Stern. But again, that is just my opinion because I'd jump on one.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

The pro isn't even close to the premium. Forget just the powder coating - you're missing the best features which are the RGB leds that change color with the selected song, the three colors of GI lights that also change with song selection and the swinging bell.
The pro is a dog compared to the premium.

I wouldnt call the pro a dog, but the Premium is certainly more than "just a few upgrades" - its like a different game.

There's a reason the LE/Pre is ranked #7 and the Pro is down at #40. I dont generally give a lot of credence to exact scores, but that relativity is about right.

Pro = good game
Premium = a great game, maybe Stern's best to date.

#29 8 years ago

DaveH - There probably won't be another run for awhile, as the licensing just expired. Not sure any of us would hear it if they renewed it though. But if they did it, I assume they would want to make more money than they could on a current premium like Kiss.

gweempose - Not sure the price difference is that big, nice HOU prems are commanding more than $6K right now

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I wouldnt call the pro a dog, but the Premium is certainly more than "just a few upgrades" - its like a different game.
There's a reason the LE/Pre is ranked #7 and the Pro is down at #40. I dont generally give a lot of credence to exact scores, but that relativity is about right.
Pro = good game
Premium = a great game, maybe Stern's best to date.

I'm not saying it's a bad game. I'm saying in comparison the pro is a dog. The extra features in the premium are actually worth the additional cost. I've played the pro plenty and it's ok, just doesn't blow me away like the premium.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I'm not saying it's a bad game. I'm saying in comparison the pro is a dog. The extra features in the premium are actually worth the additional cost. I've played the pro plenty and it's ok, just doesn't blow me away like the premium.

I agree with that sentiment.

IMO, it was one of the easiest justifications for paying the premium price over the pro that Stern has done to date.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I agree with that sentiment.
IMO, it was one of the easiest justifications for paying the premium price over the pro that Stern has done to date.

I agree. I don't know any other premium that's worth the price.

#33 8 years ago

So my Luci is now worth almost as much as my Tron LE? Damn

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

So my Luci is now worth almost as much as my TRON LE? Damn

I'd say its worth more than a standard premium, but less than an LE

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Just because it's an expensive hobby doesn't mean people shouldn't care about prices. In my opinion, prudence is one of the best qualities a person can possess.

True, but this hobby is full of people who whine about prices, then whine about how they can't find the game they want. You can't have it both ways. Put up or shut up.

Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Quoted from luckymoey:

I apologize for the misquote on Luci prices. 8k was last month's price...now it's even higher. (And while LEs may be dropping, every other iteration of ACDC is not.)

#36 8 years ago

Play a modded out pro, it can kick some ass bigtime! Much faster than premium.

#37 8 years ago

The guy who bought the $9500 Luci just did it to shake the market up and have buyers and sellers bickering about prices in threads like these for another few months.

Super desirable game, I want to know where the people who think I can get one in the $5000s are finding them Probably somewhere near the $2800 TZs and $1400 JDs.

#38 8 years ago

Here is why there won't be a VE of ACDC, Metallica or KISS (after the 3 year production run. The licenses are very different for the 3 music pins, compared to any other Stern pins. The music licenses require a large upfront payment to renew, >$250,000. plus a per game amount. For Stern to recoupe the investment, they have to sell a lot of pins, not just a couple hundred. For the movie pins, the studios require a low upfront payment, and then a per game payment so it is easier to renew the movie licenses, than the music/band ones. This could of course change, but I don't believe it will. This is the reason Gary said there will be no rerun of ACDC.

#39 8 years ago

I can't see finding an ACDC premium in the 5k range anymore. I was offered 6500 in person for my premium and turned it down. Obviously I didn't want to sell it at the time anyway, but I would have a hard time letting it go for less than that if I did want to sell it. Luci was still available when I bought my premium, I just don't care for it myself, but I couldn't get the pro. I own a lot of pro pins and ACDC is a fun one, but the premium had so much more to offer on this pin.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Once Stern does another run of Luci (at these prices they would be stupid not to), the frenzy will begin. All of a sudden there will be plenty for sale.

It has nothing to do with Stern being "stupid". Music licenses are more complex and expensive. I'm sure they ran the numbers and the cost to renew the license didn't make sense when compared to projected sales. Ironman was probably easier to relicense due to their ongoing Marvel contracts, and even if there was a price bump for the license, IM's BOM is so cheap it resulted in a project that made financial sense.

Just because a few Luci's sold for crazy prices, doesn't mean there's a market for 500-1000 more.

#41 8 years ago

When I was shopping for my pro I considered the premium, I had actually only played the premium until I bought mine. When I looked at the features that came with the premium, I realized that they just were not worth it to me. While they may be worth it to some people, all that I found myself wanting were the drop targets and LEDs.

Lower playfield - Don't like it all that much, personally. Slows things down, and some of the earlier ones get cloudy.
Ramp diverter - Don't like it because I don't always want to load the cannon right away.
Drop targets - Love them, wish the pro had them.
Train toy - Much better than the picture of a train that comes with the pro, which is why I put one in my pro.
Swinging bell - Comes on the later pros, can be added to the earlier ones.
Color changing LEDs - Pretty awesome.
Dancing band - Pretty stupid.
Animated TNT plunger - Couldn't care less either way.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Street story is the price to renew the license increased considerably. Stern not going to chase it since they would have to roll it into the sales price thus making it less appealing for sale. Luci production counts are also top secret at Stern for some unknown reason. I hope it leaks out soon.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Luci sold last week here on Pinside for $9,500. It did have the totally awsome $500 LCD mod and train topper too!

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It's possible some NIB Lucis may have gone for that much, but I've never heard of a used one selling for $8K.

How about $9,500 modded and one sold for $8,500 recently. Lol. Supply/demand economics.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

The guy who bought the $9500 Luci just did it to shake the market up and have buyers and sellers bickering about prices in threads like these for another few months.
Super desirable game, I want to know where the people who think I can get one in the $5000s are finding them Probably somewhere near the $2800 TZs and $1400 JDs.

The buyer of the $9,500 Luci posted in other thread. My understanding is he wanted one. But....again supply/demand economics. Soooooooo....he bought the only one available anywhere on the internet. Even ebay had none. C.L. in every state was dry. Price if you gotta have it now? $9,500. I do not think he did anything sinister like you implied. Also, the buyer is happy and said the game gets played alot.

Yes I am pro Luci since I have two. I like the attention it gets on pinside recently and am not looking for profits..just the attention since I like mine alot. I promised to sell one later in the year to a pinsider and I will sell it for breakeven to him. That is how I roll

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from Iceman5000:

Here is why there won't be a VE of ACDC, Metallica or KISS (after the 3 year production run. The licenses are very different for the 3 music pins, compared to any other Stern pins. The music licenses require a large upfront payment to renew, >$250,000. plus a per game amount. For Stern to recoupe the investment, they have to sell a lot of pins, not just a couple hundred. For the movie pins, the studios require a low upfront payment, and then a per game payment so it is easier to renew the movie licenses, than the music/band ones. This could of course change, but I don't believe it will. This is the reason Gary said there will be no rerun of ACDC.

This is what I heard too. I am an engineer that has a coworker with a contact within stern. He said the band and bands agent hiked the license cost since it was so popular. Who knows for sure?

#47 8 years ago

I paid 8k for an ACDC Luci.
I really liked the game when it came out but was living in another city and knew I was going to move. So I held off.

In retrospect yes I should have bought an ACDC new.

I would have bought an LE or Premium - the Luci is just what showed up in the market. It had less than 35 plays on it. It was super pristine - as new lol. No mods. Seller was pretty sincere and a good guy. So I pulled the trigger. Sent a deposit via Paypal and drove down with the balance.

I'm not complaining or bragging - I love it and play it a lot. I get how some people won't pay that for a game. But to me it was worth it and that's what matters.

And I can't see Stern re-releasing this game. So for me it wasn't a gamble. But I don't really buy games to resell. I buy them to play. So again - worth it.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from GoodManners:

I'm not complaining or bragging - I love it and play it a lot. I get how some people won't pay that for a game. But to me it was worth it and that's what matters.

Absolutely. I would never frown upon someone for paying up for a game they love. I just didn't realize until this thread that they had become that valuable.

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from fish1975tx:

Play a modded out pro, it can kick some ass bigtime! Much faster than premium.

I am 100% with you on this one. I find the Pro is way harder than the Prem/LE. Why? Because the Prem/LE have drop targets; you benefit from the sudden momentum stop on the ball due to those drop targets. The Pro has nothing but stationary targets - WAY harder to control the ball and predict what you think the ball is going to do.

Now that I think about it, what are two other games known for kicking you in the mouth with only stationary targets - oh yeah- IM and BSD.

Quoted from HenryWinkler:

When I was shopping for my pro I considered the premium, I had actually only played the premium until I bought mine. When I looked at the features that came with the premium, I realized that they just were not worth it to me. While they may be worth it to some people, all that I found myself wanting were the drop targets and LEDs.
Lower playfield - Don't like it all that much, personally. Slows things down, and some of the earlier ones get cloudy.
Ramp diverter - Don't like it because I don't always want to load the cannon right away.
Drop targets - Love them, wish the pro had them.
Train toy - Much better than the picture of a train that comes with the pro, which is why I put one in my pro.
Swinging bell - Comes on the later pros, can be added to the earlier ones.
Color changing LEDs - Pretty awesome.
Dancing band - Pretty stupid.
Animated TNT plunger - Couldn't care less either way.

I agree with most of this. As an LED Pro owner, I was fortunate to get the swinging bell. Yeah, it may not be as "ooooooooo, ahhhhhhh" as the Prem/LE one, but it still swings and nails that stationary target, and I adjusted the contacts on that target so the very slightest tap will activate the bell sound. Got tired of the bell hitting the target but not registering a hit -_____-.

I also added the 3D train. You would think aesthetic, stationary parts wouldn't mean much, but to me, the 3D train is WAY better than the plastic cheap-o version. Band I couldn't care less about as well as the TNT plunger, and the diverter on the left ramp is annoying. Sometimes, there is some strategy to keep backhanding the ball up the left ramp with the cannon ready to fire. I don't want to "auto load" the cannon. The "monorail" is cool looking, but nothing I cannot live without.

If anything, I am bummed the concert mod will never be available for the Pro or LED Pro, but then again, life isn't fair. Can't win them all.

#50 8 years ago

I have a spotless Luci with the train topper and the good Pinbits lightning flashers, and custom code music and matching jukebox plastic (Shoot to Thrill, Dirty Deeds, If You Want Blood and Money Talks added). I would talk trade for an AFM or MMr, AMH and $$$, or a spot in TBL. Seriously. Let's take this dog for a walk.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
16,500 (Firm)
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-with-acdc-price-and-versions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.