(Topic ID: 261777)

Need help with a pinball related project

By embryonjohn

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D535F4CA-14B1-4C59-9522-472190EB035F (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

My daughter’s right in the middle of a project that requires her to illuminate a hand painted sign. She’ll be installing approximately 65 bayonet sockets, wiring the back herself and using clear 44 style bulbs.
    Two questions:
    Does she need a transformer to run the bulbs/circuitry?
    What gauge wire should she use.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

D535F4CA-14B1-4C59-9522-472190EB035F (resized).jpegD535F4CA-14B1-4C59-9522-472190EB035F (resized).jpeg
    #2 4 years ago

The various nails and coins indicate her positioning of the lights

#3 4 years ago

Fiber optics, then you only need one bulb.

LTG : )

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Fiber optics, then you only need one bulb.
    LTG : )

She’s going for that retro look

#5 4 years ago

You can save yourself a ton of time and money and an exposed transformer by just getting a strand of LED christmas lights.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from dudah:

You can save yourself a ton of time and money and an exposed transformer by just getting a strand of LED christmas lights.

That’s the 1st thing I said to her.
    She committed on this one. She already ordered the back box style lamp sockets

#7 4 years ago

#44 use 0.25 amps at 6.3 volts, so assuming you wire the lamps in parallel, you will be pulling about 15 amps from a transformer. Assuming open air wiring, you can go with 16 or 18 gauge wire. I would break down the sign lighting into smaller groups instead of all the bulbs being on one parallel circuit. Put about 15 bulbs per circuit, so you would have four or five sets of wires leaving the transformer to go to the sign.

Since you will need a transformer, make sure on the primary you use a three prong plug on a GFI circuit. If you want to fuse the primary, I would use a 1 amp fuse, too. Make sure there's a cage around the transformer - you're dealing with potentially deadly voltages, and you may have to deal with stupid.

Hope this helps, which is given without warranty or guarantees, and should be used only at your risk. I assume no liability.

Bill C

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

#44 use 0.25 amps at 6.3 volts, so assuming you wire the lamps in parallel, you will be pulling about 15 amps from a transformer. Assuming open air wiring, you can go with 16 or 18 gauge wire. I would break down the sign lighting into smaller groups instead of all the bulbs being on one parallel circuit. Put about 15 bulbs per circuit, so you would have four or five sets of wires leaving the transformer to go to the sign.
    Since you will need a transformer, make sure on the primary you use a three prong plug on a GFI circuit. If you want to fuse the primary, I would use a 1 amp fuse, too. Make sure there's a cage around the transformer - you're dealing with potentially deadly voltages, and you may have to deal with stupid.
    Hope this helps, which is given without warranty or guarantees, and should be used only at your risk. I assume no liability.
    Bill C

Thank you!!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-with-a-pinball-related-project- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.