Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by DnDPins
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dndpins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Here is some of the chronology of what happened:
1) Bought a un-working game and replaced the MPU with an Alltek
2) Rectifier board pins are in bad shape and the wires were soldered directly to them but once I replaced the MPU the game played except the backbox feature lamps; Shoot Again, Ball in Play, etc did not work
3) I had a great time playing about 400 games as is then a drop target broke
4) I fixed the drop target without un soldering anything and reassembled
5) I turned on the game and only got GI lighting
6) Thought I might have blown a fuse so I removed all fuse from the rectifier board and checked. They were all good. Checked fuse under playfield which was good as well
HERE IS THE BONEHEAD MOVE:
When replacing the fuses, I accidentally inserted F2 fuse between F2 and F3, thus leaving the F2 fuse open and shorting (I suspect) the other. When I turned on the machine...here is what happened:
1) Audible buzz, MPU had red LED and Cap on right next to heat sink on solenoid driver board started smoking
2) Turned off the machine and ordered a Rottendog replacement driver board
3) verified all fuses (double checked so as not to make the same bonehead move!)
4) Turned on machine MPU red LED and Driver board Red LED

Is the rectifier board the problem? What do you think the problem with the backbox feature lamps is? I Ordered a new rottendog will install it soon.

Thoughts?

#3 10 years ago

WOW...that is not good news. I was hoping I did not blow my MPU. Is the MPU and light board reparable? What are the next steps to insure things are good before restoring power?

#5 10 years ago

Just to be clear...the Bally driver board is the one that was damaged. Since then, I made sure the fuses were in the right place, installed the new Rottendog driver board and turned on the machine. The Alltek MPU only has the over voltage red indicator LED on solid...no blinks. I do not even get any GI...it is like the machine is getting no power.

What is the best way for me to test the Alltek MPU to see what needs to be repaired?

#7 10 years ago

Hi barakandl...thanks for your responses!

After replacing the fuses (the Rottendog sol driver board) and turning the machine back on, I blew the F3 fuse. Is it possible that I shorted out something on the rectifier board which is now blowing the fuse or do I have a different problem?

I am have a new Rottendog rectifier board which I am planning on installing. Should I start by replacing the rectifier board? How can I track down what could be causing the F3 to blow?

Thanks again!

#8 10 years ago

One more question...

Since my wires are soldered directly to the old rectifier board, I will be wiring them to new molex connectors when I replace the board. I just want to confirm which is the schematic that details the pin outs going to connectors on the rectifier board?

Thanks!

#12 10 years ago

Thanks to all for your responses. PinaballLizard... Is this the Bally guide by Clay?
http://www.pinrepair.com/bally/

I have a new Rottendog rectifier board and a connector set so I will be doing that this weekend. Hopefully, I did not fry my Alltek MPU since it has the over voltage protection circuit (one can hope!)

Michiganpinball...I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who has done this. It is very embarrassing! I thought the same thing, it is difficult to install them from the side. I will never make that mistake again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dndpins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-with-a-mata-hari-problem?tu=dndpins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.