• Latest reply 5 years ago by Klez
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinbot (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

This was my first pin I got 18 years ago which led me to get rid of 75% of my arcade games. Then my wife and I bought a one story house since we had a kid on the way. The night before we were moving I was doing some final touches on the new house and busted my hand causing me to get 8 sutures. With the help from some really good friends I was able to move.

The only issue I had was with all the big wrapping on my hand I swapped the AC & DC plugs when I moved my Pin Bot. It took a year or so searching eBay before I found probably a barley working F14 11A board. It worked, but I was getting errors on startup: 1. Adjust switch 40 Enter ramp 2. 52 Top Jet? (not sure about this one) 3. Switch 55 right sling. The game still played fine except the right sling not working and within a few months I was able to max out the score once again. The only issue I was having was intermittent lock ups during game play and the codes. With a kid, and other stuff life moved on and it sat unused for a years.
So now we just moved again to a larger house and I won’t wake my wife or kid while working or playing my pin anymore. I just finished repairing my arcades and its way past time to get this Pin Bot back up again. I tested it before I moved it and the mask is in the open position, the left rear solenoid is inop, both eyes, eye cover/bumper is down, the balls will not advance and the right sling is not working, drop targets are also stuck down. I have a few ICs I purchased for unknown reason years ago, but it’s been sitting idle for almost 10 years.

One other issue when I got this game is the door diagnostic buttons are incorrect, so I guess that would be the first thing to purchase, but I’m not sure where.
Arcades are easy for me, but with all the issues, this Pin Bot seems intimidating and other than the door switches I’m not sure where to start.

Thanks in advance for any help!

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from Klez:

This was my first pin I got 18 years ago which led me to get rid of 75% of my arcade games. Then my wife and I bought a one story house since we had a kid on the way. The night before we were moving I was doing some final touches on the new house and busted my hand causing me to get 8 sutures. With the help from some really good friends I was able to move.
The only issue I had was with all the big wrapping on my hand I swapped the AC & DC plugs when I moved my Pin Bot. It took a year or so searching eBay before I found probably a barley working F14 11A board. It worked, but I was getting errors on startup: 1. Adjust switch 40 Enter ramp 2. 52 Top Jet? (not sure about this one) 3. Switch 55 right sling. The game still played fine except the right sling not working and within a few months I was able to max out the score once again. The only issue I was having was intermittent lock ups during game play and the codes. With a kid, and other stuff life moved on and it sat unused for a years.
So now we just moved again to a larger house and I won’t wake my wife or kid while working or playing my pin anymore. I just finished repairing my arcades and its way past time to get this Pin Bot back up again. I tested it before I moved it and the mask is in the open position, the left rear solenoid is inop, both eyes, eye cover/bumper is down, the balls will not advance and the right sling is not working, drop targets are also stuck down. I have a few ICs I purchased for unknown reason years ago, but it’s been sitting idle for almost 10 years.
One other issue when I got this game is the door diagnostic buttons are incorrect, so I guess that would be the first thing to purchase, but I’m not sure where.
Arcades are easy for me, but with all the issues, this Pin Bot seems intimidating and other than the door switches I’m not sure where to start.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Yank the MPU, power board and driver board and send them off to Clive or any of the reputable board repair guys if you want to stay vintage or buy a rotten dog set if you don't care. Unless you really want to repair yourself, then get get Clays system 11 guides, a decent soldering station, a logic probe, some of the repair kits from Ed at great plains and go to town. With so many unknowns, I'd probably opt for a new or repaired board set so at least you aren't chasing a bunch of ghosts. Then you can focus of fixing playfield wiring/component issues which is infinitely easier.

1 month later
#3 5 years ago

After I found the schematic and figured a way to print it on several sheets of paper per page this morning. I was able to repair everything in two hours. I had one bad transistor and a bad connection to a fuse. I already had the parts, so it cost me nothing out of my pocket. I never found Clay's system 11 guides. I have a few scopes, logic probes and soldering stations. Thanks for the reply though.

pinbot (resized).JPGpinbot (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-with-a-basket-case-pin-bot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.