• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 10.22.00 pm (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 10.22.09 pm (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

H everyone, i have a Baby Pacman i am desperately trying to get back to life. The one i got is missing the PCB light lamp board & as it has connectors in the middle, I assume this was a model which had that as opposed to the single lamp matrix.

First off, how can i 100% be sure that it is the PCB board version. I assume it is as it has connectors - but it also has screw holes in the PF where single lamps were. It looks incomplete though so it looks like a possible "aborted attempt"

There seems to be some mixed info out there to if i can convert a previous PCB version to be single lamps by manually replicating the wiring to one which used the single lamp matrix style.

If it was a PCB board version, my preference either way would be to keep it that way - sounds much more reliable. Would anyone know if there is one available anywhere - or if it would be possible for someone to help make me a replica based on these pictures. (i have posted a WTB ad already)

Being in Australia, these machines are super rare & most people have never seen one. I desperately want to get this one going to be in my collection, but also to "guest" in our many arcade bars etc. Its a gorgeous piece or Pinball-Arcade history and i really want one to be seen and played here. Any help i can get would be really appreciated.

#2 3 years ago

These are some pics i found online of the board - would these be sufficient to help get a replica made?

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 10.22.00 pm (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-02-24 at 10.22.00 pm (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-02-24 at 10.22.09 pm (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-02-24 at 10.22.09 pm (resized).png
#3 3 years ago

be awesome if they did get remade somehow. I'd love to switch over from the socket edition to something cleaner looking like this. I've been looking on and off for years for it, or a spare playfield with one. To be honest your best bet is to try the baby pacman club thread... but chances are your probably going to have to go with the sockets. which means taking the wires out of the connectors and soldering them directly to the sockets.

The manual should hopefully have color codes for the wires.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

be awesome if they did get remade somehow. I'd love to switch over from the socket edition to something cleaner looking like this. I've been looking on and off for years for it, or a spare playfield with one. To be honest your best bet is to try the baby pacman club thread... but chances are your probably going to have to go with the sockets. which means taking the wires out of the connectors and soldering them directly to the sockets.

I have been told that there are people out there who can re-make these if people scan them. Perhaps if enough of us exist we can get something like this to happen?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

You can’t just swap them, the lamp matrix vs the PCB board have different connectors and you’d have to make an adapter for them to be interchangeable.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

You can’t just swap them, the lamp matrix vs the PCB board have different connectors and you’d have to make an adapter for them to be interchangeable.

isn't it just one or two commons (all controlled GI) and a bunch of lamp light wires?
it'd be the same thing with sockets.

can't be that hard, unless there is something I'm missing. all you would have to do is use a meter to test continuity on the different points and make a connector accordingly, based on the wire color off the manual. I wouldn't want to interchange them once I have the PCB board.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from RaoulJuke:

I have been told that there are people out there who can re-make these if people scan them. Perhaps if enough of us exist we can get something like this to happen?

People can, but it probably be easier if they had the board. So there is no mistaking which header pin goes to which trace and where. I don't remember the baby pac manual having the schematics for this lamp board.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

People can, but it probably be easier if they had the board. So there is no mistaking which header pin goes to which trace and where. I don't remember the baby pac manual having the schematics for this lamp board.

My tech boffin thinks its pretty do-able. The board would be easier IF it was easier to actually find one, which at this stage - seems very uneasy.

As i know someone with a "lamp" version, I have also gotten them to provide HD pics of their lamp matrix wiring which can then be replicated.

My preference though is to find, or get a new board made if thats possible. the PCB board does a better job overall IMO

#9 3 years ago

That board looks fairly easy to reproduce for anyone with board making experience.

You don't really need a schematic for it. Those images define the circuit although a physical sample is always best without a schematic to be able to verify everything. A physical sample is also needed to correctly place the mounting holes and/or pin headers.

From the dimensions it doesn't look like it will be "cheap".

I think the biggest challenges are:

• Getting a physical sample.
  • Verifying the circuit is correct and true to original.
  • Verifying the mounting hole locations are correct and compatible.

I think your time frame (how quickly you want to be done with your project) will dictate which way you go in getting your machine working.

#10 3 years ago

One thing i am is very patient. I have purchased a new CPR playfield & will be re-doing the clearcoat, so i have time on my side for sure.. Fortunately the machine is super pretty to look at even when its not working, so it still is paying for itself in the meantime with the smiles it gives me.

I will keep hunting for a 2nd hand one or try to find a way to perhaps get one made if all else fails. If there are others wanting one, PM me and let me know. If i find more than 1, I will let you know. If i end up going down the "re-make" path, we might be able to get a small run done if enough interest - will save on $$$, all-round

#11 3 years ago

A friend recommend i try the VAPS website forum (Vintage Arcade Preservation Society ), apparently their forums are great for stuff like this. For me to get an account there though, i need to have a
1) have a recommendation from an existing forum member, moderator, or administrator. If you intend to ask a friend to recommend you, please ask them to look at our FAQ on recommending new forum users at: http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=247149

Can anyone here, who is a member, possibly give me a reccommendation?

1 year later
#12 2 years ago

any luck in finding one of these?

Brian

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-with-a-baby-pac-man-light-lamp-pcb-board- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.