Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by borna
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wiz29 (resized).jpeg
    wiz28 (resized).jpeg
    w25 (resized).jpeg
    w24 (resized).jpeg
    w3 (resized).jpg
    w2 (resized).jpg
    w1 (resized).jpg
    wiz1 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

Hi all,
    This is my first pinball machine, I never worked on any EM machines before.
    I purchased a 1975 Wizard Bally which was working at the time. not sure everything was working but at least it was working.
    Since I wanted to restore it, I took everything apart to paint the cabin, and replace as much as I can.
    Today I finally finished it and power it on.
    I had the credit to 10 units and power the game. Pressed the credit button.

This is what happened:
    Credit number decreased from 10 to 9
    The score motor (w1.jpg) started to rotate
    (w2.jpg) - not sure what that is called, but it made a clicking sound
    Few of the Relays (w3.jpg) moved

Things that didn't happen
    Scores reels didn't get reset to 0000
    Flipper buttons not working. nothings happens when pressing them
    None of the stuff on the playing field works.

It seems only the 4th player score reels lights are on. is this means it got stocked at the 4th player?
    pressing the credit button again repeats the above.

Also if you look at the playing field, you can see different lights are on. Maybe it is stuck in its previous state?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

wiz1 (resized).jpegwiz1 (resized).jpegw1 (resized).jpgw1 (resized).jpgw2 (resized).jpgw2 (resized).jpgw3 (resized).jpgw3 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

It seems like the reset sequence does not complete correctly. Does the score motor continue spinning or does it come to rest? What happens if you push the credit button more than 4 times?

From the pictures here, it looks like player 1, ball 1 is up. Check the wiring for the backbox GI lights as they should all be on the same circuit. The bonus should be at 1000 at the start of a game, if it's more then the bonus unit hasn't been reset.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from sizteves:

It seems like the reset sequence does not complete correctly. Does the score motor continue spinning or does it come to rest? What happens if you push the credit button more than 4 times?
    From the pictures here, it looks like player 1, ball 1 is up. Check the wiring for the backbox GI lights as they should all be on the same circuit. The bonus should be at 1000 at the start of a game, if it's more then the bonus unit hasn't been reset.

The score motor spins for a few secs then it comes to stop.
    each time I press the credit button, it will decrement by 1 until it reaches 0. So if my credit is set to 10, each time pressing the credit button causes the score motor to spin for a few sec and decrement the credit number by 1 until reaches 0.

#4 2 years ago

Does the score reset relays move when resetting? If not, can you move them manually to see if the score wheels respond?

What's the names of the relays that does move?

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from sizteves:

Does the score reset relays move when resetting? If not, can you move them manually to see if the score wheels respond?
    What's the names of the relays that does move?

So sorry for my stupid question, but I am very new to this.
    Where is the score reset relays? don't give up on me

Thanks

#6 2 years ago

I don't have the machine here, so I can't check, but I think they are located in the back box. They are connected to cam 2 switch A and cam 11 switch B on the score motor. Try measuring continuity of the cables with a multimeter, or use alligator cables to rewire and then try resetting again.

Try to find out which main circuits are not working first, then eliminate sub-circuits one by one. If that makes no sense according to the schematics, it may be a connector or cable issue.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from sizteves:

I don't have the machine here, so I can't check, but I think they are located in the back box. They are connected to cam 2 switch A and cam 11 switch B on the score motor. Try measuring continuity of the cables with a multimeter, or use alligator cables to rewire and then try resetting again.
    Try to find out which main circuits are not working first, then eliminate sub-circuits one by one. If that makes no sense according to the schematics, it may be a connector or cable issue.

Thanks for the info. SO today I got to figure out what is cam2 switch A and cam 11 switch B.

Also If you look at the pic, you can see only right side lights are ON. and none of the tip flashing lights are working. Possible if that is the main issue and power is not getting to something?

#8 2 years ago

Obviously power is missing from some circuits. But all the lamps are on the same main circuit and the back box has power. Try connecting the non-working circuits with the working ones with alligator clip cables. BTW the 6 V (lights) and 50 V (everything else) systems are not directly connected. Don't get them messed up or you will blow all your lamps!

#9 2 years ago

I made some progress but not sure if is a good progress.
    As you know once the game is reset nothing on the playing field works.
    However if I close these 2 switched pointed by the stick, the 1000 score advance once and everything else is start to work on the playing field. But I hear a buzzing noise means the coil for the 1000 score is still activated. any idea what this unit does and why that causes everything on the playing field to work including the flipper?
    w24 (resized).jpegw24 (resized).jpeg

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from sizteves:

I added some update. Does that makes any sense?

#11 2 years ago

This looks like the game over latch/trip relay that controls power to the flippers and playfield. It has two coils, one turns the switches on when a game starts (latch), then it stays on by itself mechanically until the other coil is energized when the game ends (trip). The startup problem may be caused by the latch relay not activating, you can try moving it manually to see if the game will start. The stuck 1000 pt relay may be a separate issue, you have to check all circuits that connects to the 1000 pt relay one by one.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from sizteves:

This looks like the game over latch/trip relay that controls power to the flippers and playfield. It has two coils, one turns the switches on when a game starts (latch), then it stays on by itself mechanically until the other coil is energized when the game ends (trip). The startup problem may be caused by the latch relay not activating, you can try moving it manually to see if the game will start. The stuck 1000 pt relay may be a separate issue, you have to check all circuits that connects to the 1000 pt relay one by one.

Well that make sense now. When I turn on the game, I see the "Game over" light bulbs are ON (two of them). When I press the credit button, Then the game is getting reset and that unit latches which now the "Game over" lights go off, and ball 1 light is coming on.
    see the pic for the condition of the coils when the game is started (not over). Now if during the game the green coil (red arrow) gets energized, then that will trigger the 1000 point relay on the back box.
    Of course the problem is nothing is working on the playing field, but If I manually engage the green wrap coil (red arrow), then the score advances 1000 point, but if I don't let it go, it will causes the 1000 point relay to stay energized and everything else also works on the playing field. As soon as I let it go everything stop working on the playing field.
    I hope it make sense.

Also, since I have the playing field vertically I can see the boards on that bottom, that shouldn't be a problem? Does the ball has to be in and launch for stuff to start working?

w25 (resized).jpegw25 (resized).jpeg
    #13 2 years ago

I think I found the problem and see if this make sense.
    Let say I set the game manually to player 2, ball 4 and then turn off the power.
    What should happen the next time I turn on the game? I would assume the "Lock" relay will latch the "Game over" relay to display Game Over?
    However this is not what is happening. When I turn the power on, and press the left flipper button, I see the "Lock" relay is getting energized, but will not latch the "Game over" relay, therefore I still see player 2, ball 4.

Now if I manually latch the "Game over" relay, then I see Game over lit and if I press the credit button, it will go through the reset, and game over relay is unlatched and shows player 1, ball 1, but nothing is working on the playing field.

So where should I look for the problem? Basically relay should energize the "Game over" relay to latch so Game Over is shown?

This is the schematic for this game
    https://www.ipdb.org/files/2803/Bally_1975_Wizard_Schematic.png

Thanks

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from borna:

What should happen the next time I turn on the game? I would assume the "Lock" relay will latch the "Game over" relay to display Game Over?

I don't think so. When power is cut during a game, the mechanism is in the "game on" position and stays there during repowering, since the trip coil cannot be energized through ball count position 4/6 or other switches.

Are you sure all the switches are correctly adjusted so that the playfield circuit actually has power when in latched position? The switch pointed out in post #9 is a main switch that controls all the game functions. Also check the lock relay break switch in schematic section H-4.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from sizteves:

I don't think so. When power is cut during a game, the mechanism is in the "game on" position and stays there during repowering, since the trip coil cannot be energized through ball count position 4/6 or other switches.
    Are you sure all the switches are correctly adjusted so that the playfield circuit actually has power when in latched position? The switch pointed out in post #9 is a main switch that controls all the game functions. Also check the lock relay break switch in schematic section H-4.

Once the the switch pointed out in post #9 is closed, then the game works. Everything on the playing field function. The only issue is once is closed it also energize the 1000 point relay and keep it engaged until I open the switch again. not sure what that switch has anything to do with 1000 point relay?

#16 2 years ago

wizard has a spinner on the playfield which relies on gravity. If you have the playfield up, the spinner switch may be closed.

best thing on spinner games is either stick paper between the spinner switch contacts or wedge the spinner so it can't move before lifting the playfield.

'course, I don't think the spinner scores 1000, so check for playfield switches being stuck closed that do score 1000.

#17 2 years ago

The spinner scores 100. There's a lot of circuits connected to the 1000 pt relay and everyone of them has to be inspected. Put pieces of paper between all contacts and remove one by one until you find the one causing problems.

#18 2 years ago

Hi all, the issue is fixed and Wizard is now 100% working condition. The issue was related the left out lane switch which was stuck which caused the 1000 relay to stay energized. Now I am sharing a few pics of my Wiz

wiz28 (resized).jpegwiz28 (resized).jpegwiz29 (resized).jpegwiz29 (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-with-1975-bally-wizard- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.