• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

type 2 sound board (resized).jpg
Stellar Wars Sound (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

I am trying to use a Type 1 sound board in a System 7 Game. I am working on the jumper, but I'm having trouble with jumper 9. There is no place for jumper 9 on a type 1 sound board. The schematic shows (as far as I can tell - Looking at Stellar Wars Schematic) that Jumper 9 should connect pin 4 on IC9 with pin 16 on IC3 with Jumper 10.

However, on a type 2 schematic, it appears jumper 9 is connected completely differently. I'm not sure where to connect jumper 9

Can anyone help with this?

Stellar Wars Sound (resized).jpgStellar Wars Sound (resized).jpg

type 2 sound board (resized).jpgtype 2 sound board (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

What sound rom are you going to use in it? I don't think anything other than sound 1 works in a type 1 board, but I have never tried any other in it.

#3 4 years ago

I have a time fantasy rom.

#4 4 years ago

I don't think the two sound boards are compatible. I think reproduction sound boards are available again.

#5 4 years ago

Send a photo of the sound board.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

I don't think the two sound boards are compatible.

This is my fear too. Others were saying it could work. I'm not so sure. Probably going to sell the old and buy a new one.

thanks,

#7 4 years ago

For what it's worth, I've got one of each sound board type. Both need amplifier chips, which I have (and yet to install). As far as connectors go they're the same. They appear to use different sound chips but I'll review that too.

I'll post results in a few days.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

I'll post results in a few days.

cool, thanks.

#9 4 years ago

it should work fine assuming you can mount it. Laser Ball(type 1 rectangle) uses the exact same SOUND2 rom as Blackout (type 2 square with speech). So ROM addressing should match.

The input circuitry at a glance differences shouldnt matter either. They stacked two 4069 together to get the same result of one 4050.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

it should work fine assuming you can mount it.

Thanks for helping out. So my issue doesn't have anything to do with the number 9 jumper? I can't find it on the board.

#11 4 years ago

Looks like rectangle shape board J9 = W4 on square shape
and rectangle J10 = square W9

#12 4 years ago

Damn. The audio amplifier chips I have (TDA2030A) are not compatible with the TDA2002AV. I won't be able to give you an answer in a reasonable amount of time.

#13 4 years ago

ST Micro discontinued the tda2003 but Unisconic still makes them. I have been using them and they work fine. I don't think any western distributors carry Unisconic stuff tho. You can get them at LCSC. DHL shipping is pretty fast to the USA.

https://lcsc.com/product-detail/Audio-Power-OpAmps_Unisonic-Tech-TDA2003L-TB5-T_C83050.html

There are bootleg ST Micro TDA2003 all over eBay and Ali. These seem to work but I read on some forum that they may not have the short circuit protection like originals should.

#14 4 years ago

Good to know, thanks! I found and ordered from a place that has the NTE1288. Spec sheet numbers are identical but I havent found any confirmations that they work. They're crazy on shipping costs outside of the USA so I had them sent to a friend in Texas. He'll forward them to me. Should be here in about a week or so. Have you heard of the NTE1288 before?

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

Good to know, thanks! I found and ordered from a place that has the NTE1288. Spec sheet numbers are identical but I havent found any confirmations that they work. They're crazy on shipping costs outside of the USA so I had them sent to a friend in Texas. He'll forward them to me. Should be here in about a week or so. Have you heard of the NTE1288 before?

NTE1288 looks like a re branding of TDA2003 so it is the same part. Will work fine.

Always goofy that NTE used there own numbering system.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits
Electronics
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-williams-type-1-sound-board-in-system-7-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.