• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ImageB (resized).JPG
IO board (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

I have a Stern I/O Power Driver Board (S.A.M. 520-5249-00) in my Pirates that is not working correctly. If you look at the picture you can see that F5, F7, F8, and F10 are not getting power. This is causing the 20 and 50 volt lines to be out. Also I noticed on the J13 connector (lamp control), pin 7 (YEL-ORG wire), there does not seem to be any signal - reason for that coming up.

I tested the fuses with a multimeter and they seem fine. To be sure I swapped out one of them with a spare that I had but nothing changed. I do not see any blown or bad components, no obvious damage or issue.

I know what happened to create the problem - it was my fault. The pop bumpers were damaged and needed to be replaced. When I replaced them it looks like I didn't wire the three pop bumper lights correctly (see image B, specifically the black wires) and so power shot in the wrong direction (I am guessing). I know...stupid move.

All of the other control lamp pins on J13 appear to work except Pin 7, which was tied to the pop bumpers. All of the GI lighting appears fine as well as some of the switches that I quickly tested before unplugging everything when I noticed the issue.

I appreciate any help trying to figure out what damage I did to the board and how to fix it. Here is a link to the manual which has a schematic of the board (pages 112-121). https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Pirates_of_the_Caribbean_Manual.pdf

I am just out of my league at this point.

Thanks!

IO board (resized).JPGIO board (resized).JPGImageB (resized).JPGImageB (resized).JPG

#2 5 years ago

Unfortunately you likely took out the IC responsible for the lamp drive. Which in turn took out the IC that enables the lamp drive, and also enables the high voltage (20V & 50). Which is why you don't have those fuses showing power.

I'd recommend boxing the board up and sending it off to your favorite board repair guy, that's capable of SMT work.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 218.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-troubleshooting-stern-sam-io-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.