(Topic ID: 133115)

Need Help Troubleshooting 1977 SSBally pin (Bobby Orr Power Play)

By SkyKing2301

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150801_204856_zpszeuj8ewr.jpg
20150801_204837_zps98c4gtzm.jpg
20150715_054105.jpg
20150715_054059.jpg
SolVoltReg-back.jpg
rectifier.jpg
SolVoltReg-burn.jpg
SolVoltReg-overall.jpg
grounding.jpg
knocker_solenoid.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider piparoo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 8 years ago

Do you have any pictures of the mpu, particularly around the battery holder? Ballys of this era are notorious for battery damage. I doubt that the solenoids are defective. It's far more likely that you have issues on your PCBs. Luckily, newer versions of all of the dash 35 boards are available. Check out this site. I've had good luck with them in the past.

http://www.allteksystems.com

If it was me, I would just replace the mpu and the driver board rather than fiddling around with fixing the ones you have. Check your power supply out. Replacing it is more involved.

You're also fortunate that there is a lot of info out there in repairing these old ballys. Pinwiki has some great walkthroughs on fixing up these old games.

Power play is an awesome game. Good luck and have fun!

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Naturally, replacing the boards is the more expensive route. I'll definitely go there if I have to, if that's the only way to get it working again. However I'm definitely interested in doing some of the basic troubleshooting first, for 1) the learning experience (I need it!), and 2) potential cost savings (especially since I just bought my two pins ... gotta reign in the spending for now). Please don't think I'm rejecting your advice! If money were no object, I'd certainly go that route sooner.

I have very little skill with soldering and desoldering on PCBs, so I tend to buy new ones if they're available. If you're good with a soldering iron, go for it. You'll also be a great asset around here to folks like me who can't do the soldering themselves.

#7 8 years ago

Folks more knowledgable than I am about repairing dash 35 boards may want to chip in here but I think that mpu is a solid candidate for replacement. I totally know what you mean about not wanting to spend the money and I hope it can be repaired but if you find it can't, Alltek makes an excellent product.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 179.00
$ 69.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider piparoo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-troubleshooting-1977-ssbally-pin-bobby-orr-power-play?tu=piparoo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.