Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by MrZone
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image0 (1) (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

Ahoy Pinheads!

I'm considering buying this Black Rose machine: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/83679

I'm a first time buyer and when I contacted the seller some red flags popped up.
    I'm paranoid and since all the expertise of the pinball community was only a tab away, I decided I should make a post.

Here are the red flags to me
    - The pictures seem to have been taken in different locations rather than a single location. (Including the other tables sold)
    - The seller has listed 70+ different machines and only "sold" 5
    - The feedback seems generic and "gushy" which doesn't fill me with confidence
    - When I inquired about how we would do a transaction, he replied with this

"so basically , you call up which I have a agent you can use. they will pick up the machine from my location , pack up up ship with the legs on and the back box folded down... ill also send you photos of the company picking up the game. then they will drop off to your location and place it where you want it in your home. before of course pickup, I would need payment either venmo or friends and family paypal."

Is this normal? Does it seem legit? Is it even a good deal?

I sent some technical questions and specific photo requests which he said he'll send when he gets home. (Excuse to find more pictures and edit them?)

Thank you!

#2 4 years ago

Joe is "legit" and I have bought several games from him.

Joe is a real guy who sells real machines and yes, paying for a pinball machine BEFORE a shipper sends it to you is pretty much "normal" practice around here. His shipping method is normal as well.

As far as the deal? That's about market rate for a Black Rose.

As far as the pictures? Pinball machines move. Sometimes I'll take pics of a game right when I pick it up before moving it, as I don't know when I'll have a chance to set it up. Sometimes I'll move games around my shop, which can explain the game not always being in the same place. The "different tables" can be explained by the fact that some folks, including Joe, tend to buy and sell a ton of machines. Also don't call them "tables" please. Pet peeve.

As far as the feedback? I guess you can look around for a seller with shittier and less "gushy" feedback if you'd like but don't see why that would be preferable. There's a guy Choggard in IL who may fit the bill for you if you want the superior confidence supplied by shitty feedback.

Quoted from MrZone:

I sent some technical questions and specific photo requests which he said he'll send when he gets home. (Excuse to find more pictures and edit them?)

You asked for specific photos, he needs some time to go take them, that's what a "good seller" would do.

#3 4 years ago

I ask for a pic with a local newspaper included on the game. But yea the broken english is suspect

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

As far as the feedback? I guess you can look around for a seller with shittier and less "gushy" feedback if you'd like but don't see why that would be preferable. There's a guy Choggard in IL who may fit the bill for you.

There's also a guy named Gorf in california that uses lolipop pictures in his ad, and then ships heavily routed games.

The best way to avoid getting scammed is to buy in person, cash on the glass. Op If you buy this pin, buy a cliffy protector for that cannon. It'll cover up the existing wear and prevent further wear to that area.
    http://www.passionforpinball.com/BlackRose.htm

#5 4 years ago

Cab has fade and around cannon has wear which is common for this title.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

I ask for a pic with a local newspaper included on the game. But yea the broken english is suspect

If that's "broken English" than about 70 percent of Pinsiders are suspected scammers.

An English graduate program this place is not.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Joe is a real guy who sells real machines and yes, paying for a pinball machine BEFORE a shipper sends it to you is pretty much "normal" practice around here. Joe is "legit" and I have bought several games from him.

The personal independent reference means a lot to me.
    Being my first time, I'm sure you can understand my hesitation since $3,000+ is a lot of money to risk.

I didn't mean to sound rude, I just want to be safe.

Thank you for the quick response!

#9 4 years ago

In the ad description it states rare diamond plate version. Every single BR was diamond plated. So there's that. Seems misinformed and very ambitious in the ad. One tactic may be to low ball him and see what he says. A legit seller would not budge much on a decent 2500 BR. Just sayin.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Joe is good 2 go

Thank you!

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

There's also a guy named Gorf in california that uses lolipop pictures in his ad, and then ships heavily routed games.
    The best way to avoid getting scammed is to buy in person, cash on the glass. Op If you buy this pin, buy a cliffy protector for that cannon. It'll cover up the existing wear and prevent further wear to that area.
    http://www.passionforpinball.com/BlackRose.htm

I have heard bad about Gorf, but I got a sweet Pinball Magic from him years ago.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You asked for specific photos, he needs some time to go take them, that's what a "good seller" would do. The suspicion that there's some nefarious "photo editing" going on doesn't really seem the be founded on any evidence.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-got-scammed-for-27k-beware

#13 4 years ago

I would never buy a used pinball machine without seeing it in person.Never

#14 4 years ago

I don’t know Joe. But i think you should consider it from his (or any other sellers) perspective. Your account was activated yesterday, your location is hidden, zero feedback (of course account is new) and one forum post (this one). Any other day it would be the seller posting a similar thread.

Now you could be the coolest pinsider with the highest level of integrity out there. We all stated new at one point. But your current profile is not one that most people would ship to without secure payment up front. No offense intended.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Completist:

Any other day it would be the seller posting a similar thread.

Now you could be the coolest pinsider with the highest level of integrity out there. We all stated new at one point. But your current profile is not one that most people would ship to without secure payment up front. No offense intended.

Then good on them for being cautious!

No offense taken!
    I was thinking the same thing.

Is there a good way for me show integrity quickly?
    I'd show off my collection but I *cough* don't have one yet.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrZone:

Is there a good way for me show integrity quickly?

Paypal everybody on Pinside 10 bucks and you'll have us eating out of your hands.

#17 4 years ago

Honestly, if this your first pin I’d look local... unless you’re confident in your ability to do repairs. Find a local a pinhead who may be willing to go visit a used pin sale with you and have a look. First purchase out of state, no experience. Save that for your second or third purchase as they are around the corner if the first one goes smooth

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I have heard bad about Gorf, but I got a sweet Pinball Magic from him years ago.

Here’s the forum where Gorf scammed a buyer in PA, and gave everyone on Pinside the finger.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-seller-alert-gorf

#19 4 years ago

He is asking you to pay via "friends and family." That is a huge red flag and is what scammers always ask for. He is asking you to lie and say the money changing hands is not for a product. If it is a scam, PayPal will NOT help you get your money back. If you pay regular PayPal you can get a refund if you get scammed. I would never buy something if the seller asks for this.

#20 4 years ago

A bit off topic, but is anyone concerned when they see 78 games listed, but only five sold? I know pins can be listed in multiple places. But it always seems a bit suspect when lots of games are listed and only a few sold.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

A bit off topic, but is anyone concerned when they see 78 games listed, but only five sold? I know pins can be listed in multiple places. But it always seems a bit suspect when lots of games are listed and only a few sold.

I was- which is why it's included in my original red flags.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

People dodging paying the Pinside fee for selling games.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If that's "broken English" than about 70 percent of Pinsiders are suspected scammers.
    An English graduate program this place is not.

Maybe the wording is a tribute to BLACK_ROSE

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

And none of the other 73 in his collection, so its not that they don’t actually sell. So what Isochronic said...

There is an option for “sold elsewhere” too rather than “not sold / decided to keep”. But after several dozen times someone might catch on lol.

#25 4 years ago

Mrzone where r u located?

#26 4 years ago

The seller is probably fine, but if he’s a volume seller, you’ll probably end up disappointed in the condition of your game.

People who buy and sell games as an everyday thing don’t look at games the way most other people in our hobby do. Because it’s a business for them, and they’re no nonsense about it. They know someone will buy, somewhere, that’s less educated and less picky, so they won’t tell you all the blemishes. Partly because they won’t tell you anything you haven’t asked, but also because to them, it’s no big deal.

What I see as a bruised - albeit working - game they see as “a solid player”. And they’ll charge you full market for what should be a nicer quality game.

I’d keep looking for your first game. Find a good seller that plays pinball for fun and cares about the quality of their games. We’re everywhere.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

He is asking you to pay via "friends and family." That is a huge red flag and is what scammers always ask for. He is asking you to lie and say the money changing hands is not for a product. If it is a scam, PayPal will NOT help you get your money back. If you pay regular PayPal you can get a refund if you get scammed. I would never buy something if the seller asks for this.

Friends and family shouldn’t be any different than “cash on the glass”, cash and carry ...but if the buyer hasn’t seen the game in person, buyer beware.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

Mrzone where r u located?

This would definitely help.

MrZone
    I sent you a pm

#29 4 years ago

If you pay with PayPal and choose the Credit Card option it does not matter whether you use FF or not. Your CC will back you up on fraud.

#30 4 years ago

To those of you following along, things were looking good right up until my last request.
    image0 (1) (resized).pngimage0 (1) (resized).png

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrZone:

To those of you following along, things were looking good right up until my last request.
    [quoted image]

Because you’re being a bit over the top and seemingly needy. It’s a bit ironic you’re picking apart his “history” on pinside while you yourself have zero history and are brand new. To me as a seller, that’s a big red flag.

Offer to use escrow.com and that you’ll cover the fees. That way you’re both protected.

#32 4 years ago

I offered a few other ways to prove validity but it's been quite some time since my messages were sent and not a single reply.

This is by far the biggest red flag of all because $3,000 on the line for a single photo?

I'm sorry, but I simply don't have that much faith in humanity.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrZone:

I offered a few other ways to prove validity but it's been quite some time since my messages were sent and not a single reply.

If a potential buyers starts trying to make wacky demands, I'm going to think they're just wasting my time. At $2500, a decent BR probably won't take too long to sell.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If a potential buyers starts trying to make wacky demands, I'm going to think they're just wasting my time. At $2500, a decent BR probably won't take too long to sell.

Ditto

#35 4 years ago

He sent me a thumbs up with the machine behind it, it's good enough for now.

I'll keep the thread open until I've decided to buy it and the transaction is complete- or I get scammed and people can look this over to learn from my mistakes.

Genuine advice is still welcome.

#36 4 years ago

MrZone as in the adult animator??

I understand this is your first transaction but you do come off a very skittish buyer. People do not like selling a game to someone they think will need their hand held later on.

They want to sell and forget. That’s why it’s so damn hard to buy from big operators and such. They’re so used to having people that can’t fix simple things that even if you are knowledgeable and ask reasonable questions they may worry about the consequences and move on.

As other said, you only joined a day or so ago. And you’re going in deep. Just relax and find a decent seller who’s a passionate collector and you’ll be fine. Also just choose the nearest large city to you and make your location available. It’s super annoying to try giving advice to someone who you’ve got zero idea where they are. Even if it’s just the Capitol of your state

#37 4 years ago

I think it would be different if you were posting about a seller from a different source, but seems a bit off to me to make a thread about a seller on the same forum.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but if I was selling and saw someone make a thread questioning if I was a scammer id probably back out.

That said I see where you are coming from with some of your points

#38 4 years ago

Ok, sounds to me Joe honored your request,

So you need to decide in a quick manner if you want to complete the transaction, otherwise tell the seller you changed your mind

Because you aren't likely the only interested buyer.

As others have said you have zero history, nothing the seller can feel confident about.

Yet he is giving you an opportunity!

As the saying goes: sh*t or get off the pot

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

A quick note on this-

There is a pinsider here that has a physical retail shop, an Ebay business, and presence here. Pinball is his business, so he is out to sell by trying to sell in different ways. Said seller often times offers up games/products here that are also for sale thru his other sales avenues. If he sells a game at his retail storefront or eBay, or his other sales avenues, then the listing of the game here goes to 'archived'. It does not mean he's trying to circumvent pinside donations, it means he sold the game thru other routes. So you can have a lot of games listed that show up as 'unsold' without scamming pinside on donations.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from Obed_Marsh:

I think it would be different if you were posting about a seller from a different source, but seems a bit off to me to make a thread about a seller on the same forum.

I'd put it in the "fucking weird" category myself.

#41 4 years ago

I appreciate the genuine advice given here, Crazy Levi can have the credit for convincing me to go through with this purchase.

I'll post the result, but this forum is becoming an off topic catastrophe so I'm draining it.

Thanks to those who helped!

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Best of luck on the buy!

Thank you

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrZone:

I would need payment either venmo or friends and family paypal."

This is the part I have a problem with. Even If I'm sure the dude is legit it doesn't matter, but friends and family costs me extra money that the seller in return is not having to pay. And on a pinball machine it can be a tidy sum. But I'll do it for smaller items if the price is right.

And before anybody tries to lay out the F+F guilt trip, once you communicate with anybody, some relationship has formed and gifts can be given back and forth just like exchanging X-mas presents even if some of it is money.. If paypal doesn't like it, they should do away with it.

#45 4 years ago

Don’t F with F&F or paypal will F you in the A!

#46 4 years ago

When someone uses paypal to buy something from me F+F or not, then I'm stuck with that money in the account and can only get $1000 a month out unless I use it. But then I can gift it out no charge to me. But on large amounts beware!

One time I sold a machine not using F+F, so they got their cut, and tried to gift it all out and they froze it and I had to jump through hoops to get any of it out.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrZone:

I appreciate the genuine advice given here, Crazy Levi can have the credit for convincing me to go through with this purchase.
    I'll post the result, but this forum is becoming an off topic catastrophe so I'm draining it.
    Thanks to those who helped!

Does crazy Levi get some Crazy commission

Good luck with the sale

2 weeks later
    #48 4 years ago

I'm proud to report that I am now the owner of one Black Rose Pinball Machine.

My childhood dream of having a pirate themed pinball machine has finally come true!

Thank you to all who gave real advice!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-to-avoid-getting-scammed?hl=obed_marsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.