• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aaa (resized).PNG
IMG_20210129_152527130 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210129_152541232 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grumpy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

Any thoughts.... ?

Remove the power supply, take good pics of the front and back.

#6 3 years ago

The 2 black connectors at the top of the board are installed backwards. Now I don't know if you installed the wires on backwards or not, but if you did it would account for the fuses burning.

#7 3 years ago

I zoomed in on the picture and can see that the cut header pins are reversed too. So this tells me you did connect the wires backwards. Remove the header pins and replace them with new.

#9 3 years ago

I'm not sure if you have damaged other things by doing this, so after you get the headers reversed you need to only connect the large rectangle plug at the bottom of the power supply. Then turn on the power switch and then test the power supply for the correct voltages.

#13 3 years ago

No, not for what you did. You need to leave off the smaller top connector and replace f-1. Then power up the game and see if f-1 blows now. If f-1 still blows with the smaller connector disconnected then you have a power supply problem. If it doesn't blow then you need to test the pins for the correct output. Let me know what you find.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

Ok so I pulled the connector for the displays at 3J5 and fuse stay intact and I have -125 on pin 3 and +125 on pin 4 with 4.9 on

OK, so the high voltage is messed up. This is why I wanted you to test the voltage before connecting the displays up. Most likely the displays were damage anyway.

Now do you want to fix this power supply or not?

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

I rebuilt the high voltage section on the power supply. Now on 3J5 I have -91 on pin 3 95 on pin 4 and 4.9 on pin 6.

Sounds good.

Now if there is a short on the display driver, it might cause the repaired high voltage section of the power supply to be damaged again. So it can be a gamble to plug in the displays to test. Your call now.

#21 3 years ago

UND chips aren't available anymore so I wouldn't rebuild the HV section again, I would just get a led display. Once you're up and running, with displays working we can test the sound board.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

Looks like I can order some "knock offs" from China.

I have not had good luck when I used these knock offs chips so I stopped repairing display driver boards.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

I also unplugged the sound card. Now I have no sound.

How did you test the sound board?

Quoted from JT-Pinball:

So sound issue seems to be connected to MPU not sound card. Could the issue with the displays be connected to the issue with the sound?

Yes, but I think the CPU would not be booting up then.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

After doing some reading it looks like all sound is processed on the MPU and then divided up between the MPU and the sound board.

This is not true. The sound board makes only some sounds. The cpu makes some sounds and speech. Both of the sounds and speech pass thru the cpu and are combined together and then amplified and go to the speakers. If you want to test the cpu board by itself you need to remove the jumper from 1J16 and then remove the volume control connector from the sound board and install it to 1J16 of the cpu board. Then you can run a sound test, you will be missing some sounds but have some sounds and all speech sounds.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

So what is best way to figure out displays??

You need to test with a logic probe the signals on J-22, J1,J2 and J3.

#38 3 years ago

You have a issue with the blanking signal. You need to start with that first.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

Ok well I tested pin 4 of U51 its high and pulsing.

I think you jumped to a different trace. These pulses goes to U-36 pin 13, this plays a part of the blanking signal tho.

Quoted from JT-Pinball:

To my limited understanding the output from pin 3 on U43 is the blanking?? Correct?

Correct, the pulses from U 51 reset U 43 which then the output pin 3 goes low. Q-50 might have been damaged from the voltage spike.

aaa (resized).PNGaaa (resized).PNG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grumpy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-system-11-power-supply-blows-f1-f5-and-f6-on-power-on-?tu=grumpy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.