Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Da-Shaker
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

thumbnail copy 3 (resized).jpeg
    KIMG0003 (resized).JPG
    KIMG0002 (resized).JPG
    575484679.png
    #1 5 years ago

Hi, My Stellar Wars plays fine for about 4-6 games. then the S and R drop targets will quit registering. If I shut down the game for 15 to 20 minutes, and restart, it will play fine for some time and start not registering those two drops again.

The only thing I did to the game before this was replace the diode to the outhole switch. Somehow this diode broke on one end of the plastic towards the non-contact side of the switch, so I assumed this is where the band was because I replaced the diode with the band towards the non-contact side of the switch.

I do not know if the diode would happen to be in the wrong direction if that would cause this problem?

Any ideas where to look would be greatly appreciated.

#2 5 years ago

Anyone?

#3 5 years ago

You can compare the diode wiring with any other switch, the diode should be wired the same way for all of them. It looks like S and R targets are in the same column, according to the switch matrix chart. When those targets stop working, do the pop bumpers and other switches on the same column stop working as well? Check each switch on column 6 (green arrows pointing to it on chart) when the problem happens and see if they still work or not.

575484679.png575484679.png
    #4 5 years ago

Thanks for helping out. The S&R you are referring to are the roll overs. The S & R I am referring to are drop targets S is in the lower left bank . R is in the upper right bank.

#5 5 years ago

Ah, sorry bout that. In that case, I'd look at all the switches on Row 1 (including the tilt switches) for broken/loose wire or diode. Row 1 appears to include at least one of each of those drop targets you mentioned, plus the outhole switch. Did you verify the wiring and orientation of the diode at the outhole switch are correct? Do any of the other switches on row 1 work when the problem occurs?

#6 5 years ago

I'll check out the row 1 switches and let you know thanks

#7 5 years ago

Still can not figure it out the two drop targets in question are 16 and 32, but the diode I installed is on 9

#8 5 years ago

Ah, thanks for clarifying which switches they are on the chart. Look at Row 8 (horizontal row at bottom of chart), both of the switches you're having trouble with are on that row. Check each switch on that row (including the high score reset switch on the coin door)... Each of those switches should have a white/gray wire (or 2). You'll be looking for a broken wire or diode that needs to be reconnected. When the targets stop working, do the other switches on that row still work?

#9 5 years ago

I just purchased a stellar Wars and have a similar problem. I just started to work on the machine and really haven't got into it. The L used to flash, but not go solid once the target was hit. However, I replaced the bulb and it started working again. My guess is one of the wires on the bulb socket was loose.

#10 5 years ago

Mine is not scoring any points or making any sounds when hit, and like I said, if I turn the machine off for 15 or so minutes and start it back up it works, I don't know what or if something would be over heating for some reason.

#11 5 years ago

Another possibility is the brass U brackets on the back of each of the drop targets. Mine were in really bad shape. Maybe yours aren't making a full connection.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Another possibility is the brass U brackets on the back of each of the drop targets. Mine were in really bad shape. Maybe yours aren't making a full connection.

That's my next check I rebuilt the center ones guess it's time to do the other two

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from HD_Fatboy:

That's my next check I rebuilt the center ones guess it's time to do the other two

Did this do the trick? My Stellar Wars had a very similar problem where the drops went down, scored, but didn't register letters. I took all the drop mechs apart and clean the horseshoes; it was amazing what kept coming off them.

#14 5 years ago

Let's see some pic of everyone's Stellar Wars. Here's mine. I have the same problems as you guys and I'm in the middle of rebuilding my drop targets. Additionally one of my letters doesn't register. My back glass was shot and I had to reseal it. This a good thread for all of us to communicate and share our findings.

KIMG0002 (resized).JPGKIMG0002 (resized).JPGKIMG0003 (resized).JPGKIMG0003 (resized).JPG
    #15 5 years ago
    Quoted from deluge:

Did this do the trick? My Stellar Wars had a very similar problem where the drops went down, scored, but didn't register letters. I took all the drop mechs apart and clean the horseshoes; it was amazing what kept coming off them.

I have not had time to clean the drop targets yet. Bad weekend for working on it. another thing going on now is it Tilts for no reason, never on first ball, but the remaining two will tilt before the ball is shot. I work on it this week and report back.

1 week later
    #16 5 years ago

I just rebuilt my drop targets and found that 3 of my targets aren't registering. Additionally, 1 row of drop targets won't come back up. So I slowly captured a target while it was dropping and rubbed it up and down (pushing it towards the little board) to help clean the contact point and managed to get them all registering, but one row still won't come back up. I didn't replace the little boards on the back. I believe this is where the problem lies. Later after reading some other forums, it sounds like you can put some PBR Grease on the board contact spots. This will help with the connection between the Horse shoe bracket and the little board. I couldn't find it on line, so I think I'll try some 3 in1 oil and report back.

#17 5 years ago

I put in the rest of my replacement boards for my drop targets that I purchased over a year ago, played a few games and it appears to be working correctly.

Not sure about oiling contacts, I leave mine dry.....

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from HD_Fatboy:

Not sure about oiling contacts, I leave mine dry.....

I here ya. It's new to me too, but I'm seeing it as a last resort before trying to replace the circuit boards. I might as well try it. I read that you can wax the contact points too.

#19 5 years ago

So I put a little 3 in 1oil on the drop target circuit boards and for now they work like a champ. Everything is registering and the targets are coming back up. We'll see what happens in the long run.

4 months later
    #20 5 years ago

Would anyone with a Stellar Wars mind sending me a picture of the wiring on the top right 3-bank drop targets please?

Thanks!

#21 5 years ago

I was making room on my phone and just erased some good photos for you. This is the only one I have left for under the play field. Maybe you can match it up with the left side drop targets?

thumbnail copy 3 (resized).jpegthumbnail copy 3 (resized).jpeg
    #22 5 years ago

lol, I need the back side of the 3 drop bank in the bottom right of your pic. I need the wire hook ups on the back side. Think you could weasel your phone back there for a pic? =)

#23 5 years ago

Haha, I figured that's what you needed, but I sold it. Sorry, I was just hoping it was enough and trying to bump the thread for you.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-stellar-wars and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.