Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Xerico
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ed_209 (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

#1 6 years ago

Looking to seek advise and assistance - really shitty situation as follows:

In December 2016 I had given a $5000 deposit to a well known Person in the Pinball Community, really didnt think anything absurd would come of it.

We agreed on a title and I was told the machine is in storage sitting all the way in the rear behind like 100 other machines (true or not - who cares) and he needs time to sell off / move around other machines to make it accessible. I didnt have an issue with that, so I would only check in every 3 - 4 weeks to stay relevant and check up as to avoid being forgotten. Seller would answer calls and texts first 2 months and we would bs a little - no big deal. Next few months was a bit tougher to get a hold of him - responses would be in text form only - phone would never be answered but texts did come 3 - 4 days after my initial "hello, hows it going - machine anymore ready"?

The last 3 months, it was literally puling teeth to get the once a month expected responses until finally about approx. 40 days ago we agreed via text on July 8th to meet up - and about 21 days a go or so I reached out to work out the details on the 8th and he had texted - "lets chat later".... for the past 4 weeks he did not answer any calls or any texts, he butt dialed me twice today and texted - "lets chat tonight - bad reception" Basically thats it - no more correspondence - I called a lot - I texted a lot and nothing. He sees my calls and my texts and has my money for 7 months. Can someone tell me what I should do here and in all sincerity - its fucken crazy - not looking for sarcastic comments please. I haven't spoken with him in 5 months bc he won't answer my calls but he did give me the bs texts that lead to nothing - I guess I'm the asshole for not running sooner but i wanted the stupid game so played along with his childish bullshit.

Sorry if its not a well flowing description - 7 months worth.

#2 6 years ago

Small claims court?

#3 6 years ago

Seems like it, this happen often in pinball ? - i usually see people getting upset about hack job games or misleading descriptions.

#4 6 years ago

Call the person's name out. Why hide their Identity? They need to be named to protect others and hopefully will encourage then to do the right thing.

#5 6 years ago

That's a tough one. A $5000 deposit on a machine buried in a storage unit not accessible. Hmmm..

Wish I could give you some advice, but it sounds like it might be too late for the kind of advice I could give.

#6 6 years ago

Id check your social circle for attorneys and if you can't find one id call a few. Sometimes a letter from an attorney is all that is needed.

#7 6 years ago

I really prefer not to mention names. o-din; i agree, but this guy runs a pinball show, been in the hobby for years - I wasn't that concerned.

#8 6 years ago

Then just start one of those generic threads "Has anybody heard from ........ lately?"

That's a good way to find out about his whereabouts without pointing fingers.

#9 6 years ago

Find him and collect your money and be done with it. You are from NY and you have a Ivanko weight as your Avatar. Something tells me you can handle yourself.

#10 6 years ago

I think this will move much quicker for you if you tell us who it is.

#11 6 years ago

For the love of God you have to call the guy out. $5k is a big deal. It could happen to others.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from jkashani:

Find him and collect your money and be done with it. You are from NY and you have a Ivanko weight as your Avatar. Something tells me you can handle yourself.

ha', we're about 11 hours apart, not exactly local.

#13 6 years ago

What he said - ^^^^

#14 6 years ago

Call the police department in the city he lives in. Ask to speak to a detective.

LTG : )

#15 6 years ago

Convince me this guy stole your money and I will get you your money back...........My charge will be $1000.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Call the police department in the city he lives in. Ask to speak to a detective.

I don't think authorities care about business related issues unless its fraud- but I will if theres a chance to get some resolution.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from bbble:

I don't think authorities care about business related issues unless its fraud- but I will if theres a chance to get some resolution.

Yes they do. And why you ask to speak to a detective.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Exactly. If there was intent to defraud you of your money with no product ever delivered, you have criminal not a civil matter. This isn't a case where you bought something and it didn't live up to it's description which is civil, this is hey you wanna buy this for X amount, pay and product will be delivered which never was, criminal.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

For the love of God you have to call the guy out. $5k is a big deal. It could happen to others.

I feel like an asshole doing so. I wanted to reach out and see possible avenues anyone can suggest - maybe someones been thru this shit before.

#20 6 years ago

guessing you didn't have anything written up in a contract? all verbal?

yeah, 5k isn't chunk change. I understand you not wanting to call him out and risk the chance of possibly loosing the funds. The only thing I could think of is to threaten to out the guy nicely at first. Then harshly, then pull the trigger. pinball is a relatively small community, maybe the mear threat of outing him would be enough to get him to get off his ass and do what you two agreed to.

good luck

#21 6 years ago

I ran a collectible card game business online and at national shows for many years. A very well know retailer asked to buy some of my inventory and offered to post a check as soon as he received my merchandise. I had worked this way with other retailers with no problems so I agreed. I mailed the merchandise, but two weeks later I hadn't received a check. I called and one of his employees said that they had just moved store locations and they were sorting everything out. I knew about the move cut them some slack and said that as long as I received the check in two weeks all was good. Two weeks later still no check and kept giving me the runaround. Two months into this and still no check, the owner never returns my calls.

I called the police department in the city where the first store was located and talked to a detective. I provided the email thread regarding the sale. Two days later he drove over to the new store and threatened to arrest the owner if I didn't receive payment. Three days later a check arrived.

bbble Several months later and the seller is too lazy to move 100 games around in a storage unit to deliver the already paid for merchandise? You have been much too easy going, and quite frankly he has taken advantage of you. $5000 is called grand theft, a felony. Time to out the seller by @pinsiderid here in this forum. Dear x I gave you $5000 on this date and you have not delivered anything. If I don't receive a refund by x date I will contact the police.

#22 6 years ago

I can't imagine there are many $5000 games, let alone $5000 deposit games that get buried behind 100 other games in storage, that's for sure.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

Several months later and the seller is too lazy to move 100 games around

More like Seven (7) months later.......... time to call!

Look up NYS Penal Law 155.30 sub (15)

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

guessing you didn't have anything written up in a contract? all verbal?
    yeah, 5k isn't chunk change. I understand you not wanting to call him out and risk the chance of possibly loosing the funds. The only thing I could think of is to threaten to out the guy nicely at first. Then harshly, then pull the trigger. pinball is a relatively small community, maybe the mear threat of outing him would be enough to get him to get off his ass and do what you two agreed to.
    good luck

I appreciate that, Im hoping he would do the right thing and finish off the transaction rather quickly opposed to him blocking my number all together - Im going to reach out to police tomorrow and hope they will call him asap. And honestly - I don't think he gives a crap about the pinball community - he knows whats up and doesn't care- nobody goes full Douche Bag.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

bbble Several months later and the seller is too lazy to move 100 games around in a storage unit to deliver the already paid for merchandise? You have been much too easy going, and quite frankly he has taken advantage of you. $5000 is called grand theft, a felony. Time to out the seller by @pinsiderid here in this forum. Dear x I gave you $5000 on this date and you have not delivered anything. If I don't receive a refund by x date I will contact the police.

Definitely going to call authorities tomorrow morning.

#26 6 years ago

Is he on Pinside?

#27 6 years ago

If you don't think the guy gives a crap about the pinball community why keep his name private? I know you don't want to out him but if he doesn't care about you, your money, or us what's the point of protecting him?

#28 6 years ago

And as a reminder, cash on the glass. See macchine, pay for machine, take machine. Done. If it's too far to drive, wait until it comes up in your area.

#29 6 years ago

Honestly, I'm not comfortable with the idea at this moment of sharing his name - and I really don't want to jeopardize any small chance there might be to resolve this privately with the idea of local authorities to move this along.

#30 6 years ago

These threads are so dumb, what magic advice can someone give you. In my mind you are now the shitty pinside member who by not naming names will allow others to be taken, though I doubt many guys on here will do what you did, but still...

You want advice, fire and brimstone man, hit him with attorney, police, public shaming, to ensure he never pulls shit like this on a pinsider again.

#31 6 years ago

I respect your desire to keep his name private.

(Hopefully, others will understand why.)

Hopefully he sees this thread.
    Hopefully the Police will be of help.

If not, and when you are ready, the Mob does a pretty good job here burning witches.

(Ill be practicing my John Cleese)

Good Luck!

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

These threads are so dumb, what magic advice can someone give you. In my mind you are now the shitty pinside member who by not naming names will allow others to be taken, though I doubt many guys on here will do what you did, but still...
    You want advice, fire and brimstone man, hit him with attorney, police, public shaming, to ensure he never pulls shit like this on a pinsider again.

Not naming names... yet. Trying to get this resolved - good advice I got is to speak with a detective which i assumed would be pointless but will give it a go tomorrow morning - if that turns out to be a waste than I'll take further measures. This isn't a few hundred bucks or a game that is common - I do have something to lose that can be set in stone the moment I mention a name. I posted to get feedback bc Im already at my tipping point and before the lawyers I wanted to see if theres one final shot to make this work with any suggestions.

#33 6 years ago

so the game is 11 hours away and he is in NY. Sounds to me like it would the Chicago expo show or a show in MI. I can think of a couple of show organizers who suck in the communications department.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

Not naming names... yet. Trying to get this resolved - good advice I got is to speak with a detective which i assumed would be pointless but will give it a go tomorrow morning - if that turns out to be a waste than I'll take further measures. This isn't a few hundred bucks or a game that is common - I do have something to lose that can be set in stone the moment I mention a name. I posted to get feedback bc Im already at my tipping point and before the lawyers I wanted to see if theres one final shot to make this work with any suggestions.

#35 6 years ago

Call Joe Pesci...

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

so the game is 11 hours away and he is in NY. Sounds to me like it would the Chicago expo show or a show in MI. I can think of a couple of show organizers who suck in the communications department.

How many guys have 100 machines in storage?

I would have quit asking about the machine and asked for a refund a long time ago.

#37 6 years ago

I would demand the pin or a refund.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from roc-noc:

I would demand the pin or a refund.

You have 20 seconds...

ed_209 (resized).jpged_209 (resized).jpg

I was just re-reading vid's scammed thread. Don't trust anybody. Damn right.

#39 6 years ago

The hands of justice work slow and cost you money. I'd wait for a response or his next show.

#40 6 years ago

Since you are not interested in naming the seller, there is no need to keep this thread open.

Should you decide to name him in the future, open a moderator feedback thread and we can discuss reopening this thread.

Until then, this thread is closed.

Marcus

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-seller-got-my-money-and-avoiding-me and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.