6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Thistle
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Thistle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hi all,

Growing up, we had the aforementioned Zaccaria machine in our basement as kids, and spent a lot of time playing it and learning the nuances of the game. Fast-forward thirty years and now it's in MY basement, under a sheet being stored. I thought it was high time that my kids learned what a real game is and decided to break it out in dramatic fashion.

Of course, it doesn't work.

My muscle memory kicked in and, after plugging it in I reached underneath to throw the main switch, opened the coin box to manually trigger the coin drop and... nothing. There's lights on the playfield so I know that we have power but otherwise it just doesn't react.

I know the correct answer is to hire somebody to come and check it out but in the off chance that there's an EASY and obvious solution, I figured I'd post. I've already located all of the fuses, checked them and reseated them in the case that it's just a connection problem but that made no difference.

Help?

3 years later
#4 3 years ago
Quoted from veejay:

Hello Thistle, my friends house of diamonds is doing the exact same thing.
Did you ever solve this?

Hey @veejay, sorry for taking so long to reply!!

My solution three years ago was to push the cabinet back into the corner, but I've recently picked it back up and I've started to make a bit of progress.

This week, I replaced the backup battery with a watch cell in hopes that that alone would fix the problem (I'd read that no power to that RAM chip would cause it to just not boot), but that no luck.

I've found an amazing walkthrough at http://www.pinrepair.com/zac/index.htm and it looks like I'm not getting any voltage on some of the pins that lead to the cpu board... next step is to figure out how to remedy that.

How's your friend's machine doing?

2 years later
#5 3 months ago

In the chance that somebody hears me muttering to myself in a years-apart conversation, I finally have made some progress on this.

The problem with our pin was that the fuse holders had become so corroded that they weren't making contact with the fuse ends themselves. We just desoldered the old holders and replaced them with some newer ones and repositioned them slightly to accommodate modern 30mm fuses and now see all of the correct DC voltages at all test points on the power supply board.

Quoted from Thistle:

Hey @veejay, sorry for taking so long to reply!!
My solution three years ago was to push the cabinet back into the corner, but I've recently picked it back up and I've started to make a bit of progress.
This week, I replaced the backup battery with a watch cell in hopes that that alone would fix the problem (I'd read that no power to that RAM chip would cause it to just not boot), but that no luck.
I've found an amazing walkthrough at http://www.pinrepair.com/zac/index.htm and it looks like I'm not getting any voltage on some of the pins that lead to the cpu board... next step is to figure out how to remedy that.
How's your friend's machine doing?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Thistle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-restoring-zaccaria-house-of-diamonds?tu=Thistle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.