6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P_20180214_112603_1_p (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Trying to revive an Elektra with bad acid corrosion for someone, not too experienced / confident on old Bally. I want to install a remote battery pack. I have a diode with band towards + terminal on board. But how do I actually mount the battery pack? The original blob of acid appeared to have 3 terminals, not 2.

Do I put - of battery pack to non banded end of diode, + of battery pack to - of board, and ignore the middle terminal on board?

P_20180214_112603_1_p (resized).jpgP_20180214_112603_1_p (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

If you look at the back of the board, the middle terminal is connected to the + terminal. It's there so the board could support two different lengths of nicad batteries. i.e. those two terminals are the same thing.

Black lead (negative) of the battery pack goes to the right terminal which is the ground connection of the MPU board.
The non-banded side of the diode goes to the positive (red) lead from the battery pack.
For simplicity, the banded side of the diode goes to the + terminal.
However this puts resistor R12 in series with battery power to the U8 RAM chip which results in a slightly lower voltage at U8.
Probably better off hooking up the banded side of the diode to the top leg of resistor R12 to bypass it so the U8 RAM gets full power from the battery pack. FYI, resistor R12 is directly above the + terminal.

Hope this helps.

#3 6 years ago

Skip the battery pack and just put in NVRAM. The RAM is socketed, so it's as easy as just pulling out the ram chip and replacing it with the NVRAM module.

#4 6 years ago

If your going with a remote battery pack, I would recommend NiCad rechargeable battery's
same as game originally had.

#5 6 years ago

I'm definitely all for NVRam, and have it in all my games. But this is someone else's game, and the main thing is to get it playable again without dragging things out with multiple iterations of ordering parts etc.

*FWIW if anyone's looking at the pic funny, the diode doesn't live there permanently sticking up, was just trying to get something quick and testable and couldn't put alligator clips on the battery terminals. It's now removed from the board and put at the battery pack.

Thanks for the help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Brooklyn, NY
$ 10.00
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-putting-remote-battery-pack-on-bally-elektra-mpu-35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.