5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by terryb
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

knobpolish.jpg
    image-514.jpg
    image.jpg

#1 5 years ago

I polished the shooter knob on my Williams Liberty Bell and it looks pretty darn good unless you shine hard light at it. Then it looks cloudy with small swirl scratches.

I used a 7" polisher/sander and started with blue polishing pad and green stick from Harbor Freight. Worked it down till it was shiny and, then, applied a paste wax with the black finishing pad. Did I miss a step?

I'm not complaining. It does look really good. Better than what the photo shows but was just curious if I can get those swirls out.

image.jpg
    image-514.jpg

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #3 5 years ago

If you watch Clay's TOPS videos I believe Sapphire has the best shooter knob polishing technique.

just sayin...
    faz

#4 5 years ago

Polishing compounds should be used with a buffing wheel rather than a buffing pad. Use a 1/8" or 1/4" stitch with more aggressive compounds and a looser stitch (3/8" or 1/2") with finishing compounds.

Green should do it for the compound, but if not then finish with a finer grit.

More info: http://www.swmetal.com/category-s/1865.htm

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

Polishing compounds should be used with a buffing wheel rather than a buffing pad. Use a 1/8" or 1/4" stitch with more aggressive compounds and a looser stitch (3/8" or 1/2") with finishing compounds.
    Green should do it for the compound, but if not then finish with a finer grit.
    More info: http://www.swmetal.com/category-s/1865.htm

Thanks for the info. I looked over the site. Seems like I'd need a bench grinder/buffer for this. Unfortunately, I just don't have the room for one.

#6 5 years ago

I use Mothers Mag Polish and 'chuck' the shooter rod in a drill. Put some of the mag polish on a cloth and run the drill in the cloth/polish....comes out like a mirror. After that I wipe w/Windex(to get any black residue off you reall don't see) and then wax. Just an easy/another option.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from dtown:

Thanks for the info. I looked over the site. Seems like I'd need a bench grinder/buffer for this. Unfortunately, I just don't have the room for one.

You can use a variable speed drill or a dremel tool with a buffing wheel. Just as long as you can run at a lower speed. Cash_Riprock's suggestion would also work.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 164.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 4,199.00
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 299.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    Playfield - Plastics
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside