• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by chas10e
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

All,

I have a 1984 Bally Kings of Steel that had a dead flipper (right) that was about to be fixed right before we moved from OH to TN, but we missed our window of opportunity. The relay is dead.

For the move, I removed the head after disconnecting all the connectors from the cabinet. When I put everything back, somethings just aren't working now. It powers on, but after initial power you usually get that one 'ding' and the scorers light up. This isn't happening now.

There are places nearby, but their initial fee is over $200. I had a great guy in OH that charge per hour and it wasn't any where near this expensive.

Does anybody know anyone near Franklin TN that can possibly help. If not, that's my task after the holidays, learn to fix it myself.

I appreciate any help from anyone.
Matt

#2 4 years ago

I'd recommend checking all the connectors have been plugged back in correctly after the move. the connectors should have "rejection pins" so they can only be plugged into the proper connector and in the right way.

Also look to see if perhaps one of the little pins didn't back out of the connector.

after verifying those are all good, count the "flashes" on the MPU board when starting up. ( should have a flicker then 7 flashes)

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index2.htm#flash

scroll down to where it says
"The MPU Diagnostic LED Flash Sequences Explained."

ie. "Seventh Flash**:
The Fakers Guide: no seventh flash means PIA U10 (6821) is bad, or there is no +43 volts DC for the solenoids (power transformer fuse F4 is probably blown), or U14 is bad. "

#3 4 years ago

Thanks for the help. When it boots, I do only get SIX flashes. Just ordered a new set of fuses for the machine. We'll see if that fixes it. They look fine, but who knows.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from m_schu:

Thanks for the help. When it boots, I do only get SIX flashes. Just ordered a new set of fuses for the machine. We'll see if that fixes it. They look fine, but who knows.

If you have an inexpensive multi-meter you can check the fuses properly, a visual inspection is a start buy doesn't always indicate wheather the fuse is blown or not. (usually around 10 bucks for a cheapey) You can also check the voltage "test points" on the boards. you can check resistance solenoids to see if they a shorted. all kinds of stuff

When you moved the machine, did you completely remove the head or was it just folded down leaving all the cables plugged in ? If you unplugged all the cables perhaps you forgot to reattach the ground braid.

How did you find the guy in Ohio was he someone you met playing pinball ?

#5 4 years ago

So, replacing the F4 fuse worked...it was spent. I replace a couple others also as I just bought a pack for the game. Honestly, some of those are so hard to read I'm not sure what Amp they are, even under a magnifying glass.

Before the move I completely removed the head unit and in doing so, I cut the ground braid. I was told that I could just staple them back together after overlapping an inch or two since I had slack.

Thinking of it, the unit could have been turned on without that being done...maybe that's what caused the fuse to blow?

#6 4 years ago

Oh...and the person in Ohio was a local guy who was a friend of a friend, but also fixed the machines at a local arcade. He was really nice and wish I could find someone like him here.

The next thing is my sound board. When diagnosing my machine in OH, this person pulled out the sound proms and put them back in, but since then I don't have any sound. Need to take a look at that. Plus, eventually I'll have to replace the relay for my flipper..that was the original problem and still not done.

#7 4 years ago

Yay

Yeah I'm not sure if an unattached ground braid would blow that fuse or not. I've only heard weird things can happen & choose not to go the "shotgun route" to see what happens.

A staple would probably hold but a wood-screw & washer may be better (that's what mine is fastened to the head with.)

I got a big lighted magnifying glass to read fuses , they are rather squinty to read. you're mostly looking for the AMP rating ... fuse "F4" on the power module is 5A according to the manual https://www.ipdb.org/files/1382/Bally_1984_Kings_of_Steel_English_Manual_Schematics.pdf

sound like you'll need to visit a few arcades, maybe join a pinball leauge

https://pinballmap.com/
https://pinside.com/pinball/map

glad you got'er flipping again

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haverhill, MA
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-kings-of-steel-problems-after-move?hl=chas10e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.