• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-20_(resized).jpg
StageCoach_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hi there folks, I'm trying to identify a game that possibly never existed. I will probably never figure out what I played, and I'm cool with that. But I wonder if anyone knows of a machine with this description?

First, let's tell some stories. Everybody loves tales of the past. This was around 1999 in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. I was only 9 at the time, so the memories are a tad fuzzy. We were on vacation, and one night my father took me downstairs to a game room on the first floor of the hotel. This was quite a small room, but it had a row maybe 10-15 pins from various eras and in varying condition. We played maybe 3-4 of the machines, and the last one was - as I recall - a basketball themed machine. It was quite colorful; mainly consisting of yellow, yellowish orange, and/or gold. I played it for quite some time on one quarter (or 50¢, not quite sure how expensive it was back when - especially since I wasn't paying for it, haha!), to a point that had really surprised my dad. It coughed up 2 or 3 multiballs at one point, and I didn't lose any of them for at least a minute straight. After attaining quite the high score, it seems I activated another multiball, which brought out somewhere between 6-10 balls (total, including the 3 or 4 I already had) on the playfield, which I could surprisingly juggle for a few seconds before draining all of them.

Now, I've looked high and low for a machine that matches that description, and I've came up empty. There are a few pins that are somewhat close to it, but none that match it to the T... That I've seen so far. So, here's the description:
1. Basketball-themed. I'm about 90% certain this machine was a NBA Fastbreak, but it doesn't have some of the other attributes. I've also thought the Space Jam, and Harlem Globetrotters On Tour pins looked very similar to what I recall.
2. Pre-2000 machine, as this was 1999 when I played it.
3. Very yellow, yellow-orange, or gold-centric appearance. Again, very much like NBA Fastbreak.
4. Very high multiball count; at least 6. To my recollection, my father thought it was 9. It may have gone more than that. This is where the Fastbreak hypothosis falls apart, since to my understanding, it only has a 3-ball multiball. Same with Space Jam, and I don't think HGTOT had any multiball function?

Now, this could very well have been a malfunction with the machine. I've never really heard of a machine spitting out copious balls before, but if a machine has a reservoir of several more balls than what the games multiball limit is, I suppose that would be possible? Though I've never head of a machine holding more that 3-4 balls if that's what the multiball is supposed to be.

This could also be a modification. I'm not sure why a modified machine would be in a place of business like that - at a hotel no less - but, I suppose anything's possible. I've seen a few machines get modded to do higher multiballs, but never seen a Fastbreak, Space Jam, or HGTOT ever modified in such a way. The first two I would find unlikely given they would have been newer machines - only 2-3 years old at the time. Doesn't seem plausible to me for someone to buy one privately, modify it, and sell it to someone looking for games for their hotels game room who didn't ask a lot of questions. HGTOT.... Maybe. That's a pretty beloved game, so I've heard. Not sure if anyone would mod it in such a way. But, stranger things have happened, I suppose?

Or I could be totally off my rocker. I could be mixing up a memory of playing a high-multiball game with playing a Fastbreak or something just prior to that. I was 9 at the time, and this was some 17 years ago, so that's quite possible. Or perhaps it was a yellow, yellow-ish, or gold game that wasn't basketball themed at all? All I can tell you is what's in the back of my brain, and it's vivid enough that I'm fairly confident that it was a machine as I described. Again, I probably will never find this machine, but I figured I'd put this out there if any of this sounds familiar to anyone. And if nothing else, perhaps it's an interesting read. Thanks a bunch!

#4 8 years ago

I've thought it could be Shaq Attaq as well, but again, the multiball is only a 3-ball. But it does fit most of the other descriptors - like Fastbreak, Space Jam, and Harlem Globetrotters. And it makes it slightly more plausible as a modified machine, as it was 4 years old at the time. Also, I was just looking into Space Jam and saw that it has the same MPU (a Sega/Stern Whitestar) as Apollo 13. So at least the board could have taken the increase in multiballs; whether or not it would have had the capability to hold 6 or 7 or more balls, I'm not sure.

#5 8 years ago

Don't know of any basketball themed pin that holds that many balls.

Do you remember if it scored basketball (2s and 3s) style, or if it was pinball (millions of points) style?

#6 8 years ago

Also as far as a multiball that ramps up the number of balls from 2-3 to 6 upon you doing something, Last Action Hero immediately comes to mind. There might be other Data East games that do this but I don't remember at the moment. Can't think of any Williams games that do though.

#7 8 years ago

Was there actually 9 balls out at the same time, or was it a continual ball save where it kept relaunching the same balls? Isn't that how the NBAFB wizard mode works? Long ball save to score as many baskets in x seconds?

#8 8 years ago

Sorry I can't help identify the machine, but I would like to point out that the memory can play tricks on you. For the longest time I remembered Fire Power as a 5 ball multi-ball. I have no idea where that came from.

Best of luck in finding the machine.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

Sorry I can't help identify the machine, but I would like to point out that the memory can play tricks on you.

For some reason I try to remember a machine that had a stage coach on the playfield. This one one from my childhood that I have never found the answer to.
Good luck on your search for answers.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from codered9394:

For some reason I try to remember a machine that had a stage coach on the playfield. This one one from my childhood that I have never found the answer to.

What era?

StageCoach_(resized).jpgStageCoach_(resized).jpg

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Don't know of any basketball themed pin that holds that many balls.
Do you remember if it scored basketball (2s and 3s) style, or if it was pinball (millions of points) style?

Nope, sorry. I want to say that it was in the millions, but I really couldn't say for certain.

Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Also as far as a multiball that ramps up the number of balls from 2-3 to 6 upon you doing something, Last Action Hero immediately comes to mind. There might be other Data East games that do this but I don't remember at the moment. Can't think of any Williams games that do though.

That does fit quite a few descriptors, yes! Though, I don't recall the crane or Schwarzenegger, and I feel I would probably remember something like that since the former is sort of hard to forget, and I was a major Arnold fan at the time. There's a fair amount of yellow on that field though, so it's possible. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quoted from aobrien5:

Was there actually 9 balls out at the same time, or was it a continual ball save where it kept relaunching the same balls? Isn't that how the NBAFB wizard mode works? Long ball save to score as many baskets in x seconds?

It was actually 9 (or at least 6) balls at the same time. That's what's so odd; whatever machine it was spit out a rush of balls all at once - of that I'm certain. But when I look at NBAFB, I could swear that's what I was playing. There's no way it could have done that I think, so I have to be mistaken? But yeah, it was 9 on the field all at once, like a slot machine payout.

Quoted from codered9394:

It addition to AlexF's suggestion that it might be 1954's Stage Coach, Gottlieb released two other machines with stagecoaches on the playfield: 1960's "Wagon Trail" and 1969's "Western." The one on Western is quite small, whereas the one on Wagon Trail is large.

Quoted from browne92:

Sorry I can't help identify the machine, but I would like to point out that the memory can play tricks on you. For the longest time I remembered Fire Power as a 5 ball multi-ball. I have no idea where that came from.
Best of luck in finding the machine.

Indeed it can! Especially when it's with something that you didn't see or do much at the time. When I was a kid, I didn't play pinball all too much because there weren't really many machines in my area. This was probably the 4th or 5th time I'd ever played pinball. Like I said, I could very well have mashed up a memory of playing a NBAFB and some high-multiball game right next to it. On the chance there actually is a yellow-y basketball machine with 9-ball multiball that someone knows about though, it's worth a shot opening the search.

Also, if anyone else has a machine they vaguely remember, feel free to drop it here. I'm sure this is a common conundrum for many!

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

What era?

StageCoach_(resized).jpg

That is awesome artwork, can you even add up all the ways that would be considered horribly inappropriate today?

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

That is awesome artwork, can you even add up all the ways that would be considered horribly inappropriate today?

Teaching kids to ride bareback.......friggin' dangerous.

image-20_(resized).jpgimage-20_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Robbinsville, NJ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 29.95
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-identifying-a-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.