View topic image gallery

Lead_Forming (resized).jpg
WP_20170714_19_12_20_Pro (resized).jpg
missing component (resized).jpg
IMG_20170713_211343362 (resized).jpg
Wico_Big_Top_circuit_board circled (resized).jpg
missing component (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

I bought a WICO Big Top as a project. The machine mostly works, except the score board shows nothing.

Looking at my board and a picture on the internet, I see one of my components are missing. (see pictures)

I am no expert, but I think that is probably my first step in solving my problem.

Anyone with a BIG TOP that can get me the numbers? Or does anyone have a schematic?

missing component (resized).jpgmissing component (resized).jpg

Wico_Big_Top_circuit_board circled (resized).jpgWico_Big_Top_circuit_board circled (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Second photo is a transistor, but without a schematic I couldn't tell you which #.

#3 6 years ago

LM341P- 5.0

IMG_20170713_211343362 (resized).jpgIMG_20170713_211343362 (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

Those transistors are not mounted in the same direction.

#5 6 years ago

It's actually an IC. LM341P-5 is a +5V, 500mA voltage regulator. The LM341P's aren't real common considering the better parts are cheaper. Use a common 7805T (LM7805CT or MC7805CTG) variant to replace this.
If you don't have schematics, you may need to follow traces to determine proper orientation.
The pinout for the TO-220 replacement (and the LM341P-5) - left to right:
Pin 1 = Input (roughly 12V), pin 2 (middle) = ground, Pin 3 = +5V output.

#6 6 years ago

An LM341P-5.0 is a positive 5 volt @ 1 amp voltage regulator. Same as a 7805CT and also crosses to an NTE960.

#7 6 years ago

Thank you all! I really appreciate how quick and friendly you all are, especially to a newbie. What sucks is I just put in a big order with Mouser before I found the missing IC. I HATE to pay $2 for a part and $8 for shipping.

#8 6 years ago

#9 6 years ago

So when I was soldering in the NTE260 this Transistor (Circled in yellow) broke off from it's base.

I do not recall touching it.

Is this a fluke, or do transistors dry out with age and break off?

As you can see in the picture, it looks like the posts broke in two, as if someone had bent it back and forth.

missing component (resized).jpgmissing component (resized).jpg

WP_20170714_19_12_20_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20170714_19_12_20_Pro (resized).jpg

#10 6 years ago

An old GE/RCA/Harris D40K2 -- no longer made.
Can get a Central Semiconductor version from Mouser. Kinda pricey but a drop-in replacement.
Or an NTE268 from Allied... which costs even more.

Not really any other alternate for this one as it has the goofy TO-202 transistor pinout which few manufacturers use anylonger.

If legs are silver or silver alloy plated - they'll tarnish and eventually the base metal will corrode away. But I don't see that on your transistor. Most probably, it broke off due to fatigue - repeated bending or vibration.
If this transistor runs hot then I sometimes see another form of failure due to stress on the legs. Not all of the legs heat up the same when running - one of them is always a tad hotter or colder than the others. If the legs are not stress relieved when installed - the thermal expansion can actually crack one of the legs or the transistor case. For that reason - I use a lead forming tool whenever installing power transistors (trying not to sound like an advertiser):

Lead_Forming (resized).jpgLead_Forming (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago

Wow G-P-E, I am such a newbie, I never knew such a thing existed, but can see the obvious benefit.
Thanks for the tip!

Thanks also for the cross reference. I was hoping my Fry's electronics had the NTE268, but they only stock NTE 267 and NTE 269. What is up with that????????

I ordered a couple on ebay and they should be in later this week.

I find the hardest part about pinball machines, is waiting for the components to come in.

1 week later
#12 6 years ago

Thanks to everyone who helped me with my Big Top. I got the components in this weekend and it fired up for the first time.

I appreciate all your help!

1 year later
#13 5 years ago

I have one of these. My flippers and out hole won't kick out. However, when I push in the third breaker button in the back the machine buzzes loud and the flippers work then after a few seconds the buzzing stops and the flippers go back to not working. Anyone know why this is? Thanks!

#14 5 years ago

I would suggest starting here:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Wico

I know there is not a lot posted, but information on Wico's machines is hard to come by.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

I would suggest starting here:
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Wico
I know there is not a lot posted, but information on Wico's machines is hard to come by.

Thanks I've looked at that a few times and am still stuck. Not sure why when I push the third breaker in it starts but then stops again.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from csdoplr:

Thanks I've looked at that a few times and am still stuck. Not sure why when I push the third breaker in it starts but then stops again

What happens when you start a game after pushing the circuit breaker? Do any of your slingshots fire uncontrollably? I think you have a bad transistor somewhere. CB#3 controls the coils for the game.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

What happens when you start a game after pushing the circuit breaker? Do any of your slingshots fire uncontrollably? I think you have a bad transistor somewhere. CB#3 controls the coils for the game.

It buzzes loud and the slippers work. That's it.

1 year later
#18 4 years ago

I just picked up a Wico Big top in a bulk deal and now i'm determined to get the score display working correctly. Currently as soon as you turn the game on the score starts to tally and never stops. I can not find any switches that are activated, so I am assuming it is a board problem. Any help or advice would be great. I've checked pinwiki and the info is very limited and does not pertain to this issue.
Thanks,

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 85.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-identifying-a-component-on-a-wico-big-top-circuit-board?hl=dashingdaryl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.