(Topic ID: 11744)

Need help! How to remove edge connector pins w/o spending $100 for the tool?

By SunKing

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Tbever
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20210505_010814953 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210505_011212379 (resized).jpg
s1con3.jpg
s1cpu1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sunking.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

So I'm working on the sexy, but dirty Genie - and I'm having a real hard time getting the edge connector pins removed the connector housing. I bought the cheap tool (http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-HTA1884): ...but I'm not having any luck. Do I really have to buy this $100 tool (http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-465195-2), or is there any easier way? What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions would be appreciated - THANKS!

#3 12 years ago
Quoted from pdman:

You need to insert the tip of the tool into the slot and push gently under the pin locking tang.
Don't push too hard as you can break the tip of the tool very easily
While pushing with the tool, Pull on the wire connected to the pin you are trying to extract.
The pin should pop out of the Housing

Thanks pdman. This is what I was trying to do....but I wasn't having any luck. I even used the new connectors as a reference to make sure I was putting the tool on the under side of the pin and pushing in the correct direction. Yeah, most have heavy acid damage, so I'll give it another try tonight with the water/vinegar. Thanks again for the help!

#6 12 years ago

Normally, I think I'm pretty mechanically inclined. In this case, I must be an idiot... Perhaps the problem was I wasn't drinking. I'll fix that tonight.

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from examiner:

Those of you saying "easy as pie"....you are talking about Sys 1 edge connectors? Worst thing I've ever dealt with in the pinball world in my opinion. My fingers cursed me for days after the last time I did a re-pin job.
SunKing - If you have new replacement housings (GPE sells most of them) just cut the damn wires and crimp on your new connectors. SOOOO much easier.

THANK YOU!!! ...I knew it had to be harder than people were saying. I sure wish I'd seen this post an hour ago, as it would have saved me some time. HOWEVER - I did find all the part numbers for the connector housings here: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1#Connector_Designations With the part numbers, a quick google search lead me to Great Planes Electronics (GPE) - where I went ahead and ordered the 10 housings I needed. For about $16 including shipping, it's more than worth it to me (my time and fingers are worth more). The only issue I see is that they don't have the 21 pin (part # 09-01-6211), so I went ahead and got the 22 pin instead. I figured if nothing else I could cut/grind off the extra hole.

#12 12 years ago

Thanks for the help guys - very much appreciated. I do have plenty of experience rebuilding connectors, but this is my 1st Gottlieb System 1.

Replace the male pins on the board also if you want to do it right.

Just FYI - with the exception of the power board, Gottlieb System 1's don't have male pins - they are all 'edge connect' (see pic below). Regardless, I'm getting all new boards so it won't be an issue either way.

s1cpu1.jpgs1cpu1.jpg

#16 12 years ago

Nope, they aren't IDC. Here's what I'm dealing with.....

s1con3.jpgs1con3.jpg

#18 12 years ago

I'm no expert - just going by what I see on Clay's system 1 guide:

"No System1 game should have "IDC" (Insulation Displacement) connectors (IDC connectors were introduced with Gottlieb System80 games.) If a system1 game does have IDC connectors, someone probably transplanted them to the game you're working with."

But yes, they do take .156 molex pins, and look exactly like the picture above. ....and hey - no offense taken at all - my bad if my posts came across that way. I'm happy for the help!

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from pdman:

If you use the correct extraction tool the pins WILL come out

I'm not doubting you - but evidently, I'm just not as skilled. I was trying with the same tool shown above, and even tried on several pins that were not corroded - but still no luck. Maybe if I had three hands...

Anyway, I got new connector housings from GPE - and that was the best $16 I've spent. I finished re-building the connectors last night, and installed the new Pascal board. ....now I just need to rebuild the flippers, and give it one more good looking over before powering it up. ....getting close.

#27 12 years ago

Thanks for the info Ed. It looks like I had the wrong tool. Here's the one I purchased:

Extractor Tool .156" crimp terminals
#77-HTA1884
Pin extractor tool for single and dual row connector housings.
Weight: 0.11 oz

...figures. Oh well - live and learn.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waterbury, CT
$ 7.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sunking.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-how-to-remove-edge-connector-pins-wo-spending-100-for-the-tool?tu=sunking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.