(Topic ID: 11744)

Need help! How to remove edge connector pins w/o spending $100 for the tool?

By SunKing

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Tbever
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20210505_010814953 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210505_011212379 (resized).jpg
s1con3.jpg
s1cpu1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pdman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 12 years ago

SunKing

The cheaper extraction tool should work fine.

You need to insert the tip of the tool into the slot and push gently under the pin locking tang.
Don't push too hard as you can break the tip of the tool very easily
While pushing with the tool, Pull on the wire connected to the pin you are trying to extract.
The pin should pop out of the Housing.

Are the pins in the connector acid damage with bluish/green corrosion?
If so sometimes this makes the pins stick to the housing.
What I do then is dip the whole connector, Housing and pins into a small container of 50/50 water and white vinegar. This will break gown the corrosion on the pins and the bond to the housing. Rinse with water then alcohol.

Then try extracting again.

If you are still having trouble let me know and I can make and post a video to utube.

#7 12 years ago

I've modified a jewelers screwdriver and a coping saw blade and both worked OK. However they don't work as well or consistent as the proper extraction tool does. The correct tool however is very easy to break the tip. If this happens you can use a bench grinder to reshape the tip.

Sunking, the acid damage needs to be cleaned to make the contact pins easy to extract. You can even use a stronger 75% vinegar to 25% water ratio as well for stubborn acid damage. Let the connector soak for an hour or two and agitate it a few times per hour.

After this the contacts should come out easily.

#10 12 years ago

I also soak the original connector housings in the Vinegar solution, water rinse, alcohol rinse and a thorough dry.
No sense inserting new contacts into a cruddy housing!

#24 12 years ago

Please read my earlier posts.
If you use the correct extraction tool the pins WILL come out.
I have repinned at least 100 of these connectors . The only time extraction proves difficult is if there is a lot of acid damage to the pins. This causes the pins to
"bond" to the connector housing.
If this is the case, you need to soak the connector in the Vinegar mix.

This will allow you to extract the pins more easily.

Again, trust me as I have done this to over 100 connectors.

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

The W-HT-1884 is a hair wider than the 11-03-0016 -- not much but enough to make it difficult to use as it doesn't fit into the end slot properly. The 11-03-0016 fits perfectly - but, of course, costs considerably more.

SunKing

If you have a bench grinder or even a dremel you should be able to grind the width down of the extraction tool so it fits properly.

2 years later
#30 9 years ago

markronz
Read my posts in this thread. Here's something I wrote that should help.

You need to insert the tip of the tool into the slot and push gently under the pin locking tang.
Don't push too hard as you can break the tip of the tool very easily
While pushing with the tool, Pull on the wire connected to the pin you are trying to extract.
The pin should pop out of the Housing.

Are the pins in the connector corrosion damage with bluish/green corrosion?
If so sometimes this makes the pins stick to the housing.
What I do then is dip the whole connector, Housing and pins into a small container of 50/50 water and white vinegar. This will break gown the corrosion on the pins and the bond to the housing. Rinse with water then alcohol.

Then try extracting again.

#39 9 years ago

Yes the tool tip is easily prone to breakage. If it does break, I just use my grinding wheel and refashion the tip.
I have also made extraction tools out of old jigsaw blades and coping saw blades. I posted this info here about 3 years ago.
mark, though you may not think you need an extraction tool, let me throw a few scenarios out there.
What if you get another system 1 Pin? What if you crimp on new contacts and after they are inserted into the connector you find out some wires are in the wrong connector location. Do you cut these off or just extract them?
What if you get your new contacts and connectors all crimped and the Pin still doesn't work. What if you need to isolate a wire run or several runs? Do you cut or extract?

To me the number one reason folks can't extract a System one contact easily is because the contacts become oxidized and corrosive. This causes the contacts to "stick" to the connector housing. I will soak the connector, contacts and all in a 50/50 or 75/25% solution of white vinegar and water. This will break down the corrosion and "unstick" the contact from the connector housing. Also Folks will "pry" with the extraction tool. This will surely cause the tip to break. You "push" gently on the contact locking tang while pulling on the wire. Pop, out comes the contact!

I think I made a video showing how to extract a system 1 contact. Gonna make another one and post it on Pinside to show that it can be done.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

The two cheaper versions -- W-HT-1884 and 11-03-0003 are slightly too wide
to use in the Gottlieb single sided edge connectors.

GPE
If these two models are too wide, I would use my bench grinder and take just a bit of the width off untill it fits.

1 week later
#46 9 years ago

I'd say hack it the best you can. But make sure you use a Sharpie or something and mark pin 1 on the connector as well as the PCB.

1 week later
#49 9 years ago
Quoted from markronz:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/images/e/e6/OfficialMolexPinExtractionDrawing.jpg

Just thought I'd post it because I didn't see this pic on this thread anywhere, unless I missed it. As others suspected, pretty sure I was using the removal tool incorrectly at the beginning.

Glad to see things worked out. Just take it easy with the extraction tool, don't overpush. You want to flatten the "Locking Tang" of the contact and then hold the connector in one hand and pull on the wire with the other hand. The tool only flattens the tang.
And if the tip does break, bench grind it back to shape

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waterbury, CT
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pdman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-how-to-remove-edge-connector-pins-wo-spending-100-for-the-tool?tu=pdman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.