(Topic ID: 11744)

Need help! How to remove edge connector pins w/o spending $100 for the tool?

By SunKing

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Tbever
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20210505_010814953 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210505_011212379 (resized).jpg
s1con3.jpg
s1cpu1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider G-P-E.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 12 years ago

Was the tool you were using "exactly" as in the original picture?
It isn't the W-HT-1884 (which looks identical)?
The proper tool is 11-03-0016. The W-HT-1884 is a hair wider than the 11-03-0016 -- not much but enough to make it difficult to use as it doesn't fit into the end slot properly. The 11-03-0016 fits perfectly - but, of course, costs considerably more.

I've also found out that if you push slightly on the wire into the plug while inserting the tool also helps - it removes some of the pressure of the tang hitting the back side of the retention slot. After doing a few of these, you tend to get the hang of it and it gets easier...unless there is dirt/corrosion/other crud within the contact area.

Ed

2 years later
#34 9 years ago
Quoted from markronz:

The pins simply would not come out, and I did verify that I did buy the right tool. A tool which cost me $11 something for a tiny piece of metal.

Are you really sure you have the right tool? The correct tool that fits is the Molex 11-03-0016 -- 'distributor' cost on these is higher than $11 each in less than 100 qty (embarrassing). That $11 price sounds more like the cheaper Waldom W-HT-1884. The W-HT-1884 looks identical to the 11-03-0016 but there is an ever so slight difference in width...enough to make the job tougher when using the cheaper one. Like you said, both the Waldom W-HT-1884 and the Molex 11-03-0016 are nothing more an expensive piece of metal. I tried to get a machine shop to make a cheaper version for me but that fell through. I'll have to ding his bell again.

Molex still makes the 21 pin plugs (09-01-6211) but there is no factory stock. In order for me to stock up on these, they want me to pay for an entire run - far more than I can afford for just one connector size. Regarding using the 22 pin plug - although I have never done this, I have heard several people say that using the 22 pin plug works.

BTW - the connectors have been shipped.

Ed (GPE)

#40 9 years ago

Just to add this as an FYI for future readers:

There are cheaper alternatives but they don't fit properly as they're a hair too wide.
Three major tools:
Waldom W-HT-1884
Thickness = 0.020, depth = 0.300, width = 0.055

Molex 11-03-0003
Thickness = 0.025, depth = 0.300, width = 0.055

Molex 11-03-0016
Thickness = 0.020, depth = 0.300, width = 0.035

The two cheaper versions -- W-HT-1884 and 11-03-0003 are slightly too wide
to use in the Gottlieb single sided edge connectors.

6 years later
#51 2 years ago

The top photo is the back side of an IDC type plug. Those contacts are not intended to be changed but they can. See post #16 above regarding pulling old contacts, although post #16 has crimp contacts inside, the extraction method has been the same for me.
Your second photo is a standard crimp type 0.156" contact. That will work fine as a replacement for the original as long as you crimp the wire to the contact before inserting.

Trifurcated contacts - do NOT use them here.

Bifurcated (split) contacts are a good choice for rough surface mount surfaces. These have recently been discontinued by Molex and are not enough of a benefit to overcome the additional expense. Old part number 08-50-0116, I gave up selling these about a year ago.

Regular contacts such as 08-50-0134 (smaller wire) and 08-52-0072 (larger wire) are best choice.

Contact extraction -- 11-03-0016 works well but is expensive and bends/breaks easy. AND they no longer come with the plastic handle 'knob' as shown in post #16 above. A lot of people just modify a cheap jeweler's screwdriver and use that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.50
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waterbury, CT
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 34.99
Cleaner
Pinball Pro
Cleaner
$ 219.99
Cabinet Parts
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Cabinet parts
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider G-P-E.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-how-to-remove-edge-connector-pins-wo-spending-100-for-the-tool?tu=G-P-E and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.