Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RF U circuit (resized).JPG
U relay circuit Gottlieb Royal Flush (resized).jpg
PLAYER UNIT SWITCHES (resized).png
RF player unit color jumper (resized).jpg
RF player unit color (resized).JPG
#1 1 year ago

Still learning pins. Customer RF has me very frustrated. Game was monkeyed with prior to me by god knows who. I had had to correct more problems than I can remember. At this point, I have the game working for the most part. All moving assemblies have been disassembled, cleaned of old grease, lightly lubed with synthetic grease where applicable and reassembled. What's going on is that the player unit does not advance to ball 2 after ball 1 has drained. The machine does add up the score when the ball drains and it resets everything but the player unit. The coil doesn't fire through player 2 through 4 as it should during reset for ball number two. I did find that the pulse switch on the score motor for the player unit coil was missing the contact rivet. I replaced that blade. Now, on initial game power up and reset, the player unit DOES indeed fire through the reset process and sets up the game for ball 1. But once the game sequence has began, the power no longer is getting to the player unit coil. I'm assuming that there is a fouled relay contact somewhere in the line, and I've poured over the schematic multiple times searching for the culprit. Clearly I'm missing something. Can anyone help me focus in on the switch path to this coil, and point to an area that I have missed? Thanks!

#2 1 year ago

This circuit is the one that steps the player unit forward to the correct rivet:

RF player unit color (resized).JPGRF player unit color (resized).JPG

I've taken out anything related to the game's reset, since that seems to be working correctly. The remaining path is outlined in red. Any of the switches in the red circuit will cause problems with the player/ball count if not working. I'd look at the U, P, BX, Motor 1A, Z1 and Z2 switches. Use the wire colors to identify the correct switches.

Is your U (First Ball) relay pulling in when you score your first points? You might also check your trough switch to see that it's working correctly.

#3 1 year ago

I really appreciate the response. I took a photo of the schematic with my phone today and blew it up and printed out the area you show in your response. But yours is far easier to read. Thank you for that - it's awesome.

Yes the trough switch is working. I'm going to inspect the disc positioning on the player unit first, then move through the other contacts in the path. It's very close at this point, I'm just getting burned out on it. Ready to move on!

Thank you

#4 1 year ago

Have you used a piece of jumper wire before to help troubleshoot? That would probably speed things up, if you're familiar with how to use one to short various parts of the circuit to eliminate switches. For example, if you hooked a jumper between the 2 points marked with purple X's below, and then the machine worked correctly, you'd know the problem was with either Z1 or Z2 - the switches you had shorted across and taken out of the equation.

RF player unit color jumper (resized).jpgRF player unit color jumper (resized).jpg
#5 1 year ago

Thanks, yes, I've used jumpers on other machines to help bypass trouble spots. By the time I hit this problem on the machine, it was the end of a long day and my back was killing me. I realized I'd better come back another day with a fresh outlook. Going back today to hopefully finish sorting this one. The person that worked on it before me ( many years prior ) left the machine in a bad state. So it took a lot of work just to undo all the fuckery he did to the thing. Parts put on backward, relay blades bent all to hell, incorrect wiring connections, and so much more. It always is a wildcard when mopping up after someone else's mess.

#6 1 year ago

Yeah, seeing that someone else has been inside the machine before me scares me more than anything else. Normal age-related problems I can can handle...but God knows what some folks are doing inside there. Good luck!

#7 1 year ago

Just wrapped up my work day and hit the RF as my last call of the day. This is going to come down to using jumpers and tracing wires. Fired up RF and confirmed 1st Ball Relay locks on at the first score registry. I double checked the contacts of relays U, BX,P, Z1,Z2, motor 1A, 2C, P2G P3G, P4G, and all are burnished with adequate closing pressure. No joy. I was out of time and had to go pick up kids, which is a good thing, because I was very frustrated by this point. There is an answer in there somewhere. I'll go back soon and hopefully get it sorted

#8 1 year ago

Let me know what you find out - I'll be curious. Wish I could help more.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from paulace:

Have you used a piece of jumper wire before to help troubleshoot? That would probably speed things up, if you're familiar with how to use one to short various parts of the circuit to eliminate switches. For example, if you hooked a jumper between the 2 points marked with purple X's below, and then the machine worked correctly, you'd know the problem was with either Z1 or Z2 - the switches you had shorted across and taken out of the equation.[quoted image]

Okay this probably a stupid question. How do you jump a motor switch? What does P2G P3G indicate on the schematic.
Thanks
Frank

#10 1 year ago

Frank,

On Gottliebs, when you see switches labeled something like P2G, P3A, P4E...those are switches that are on the player unit in the backbox. The player unit has switches in stacks that ride on the edges of several cams that all rotate together when the player unit gets a signal to fire. The switches open and close in a repeatable order as the player unit rotates. In that sense, it's much like the score motor, except that it's driven by a ratchet mechanism and solenoids, rather than an actual motor. Mechanisms that rotate that way are called steppers, as opposed to the score motor.

The "P" indicates it's on the Player Unit, the number indicates which cam the switch is riding on, with Cam 1 being closest to the steel ratchet. The last letter indicates the level of the particular switch in the stack, with A being the lowest level, and going progressively higher, or farther away from the cam edge.

You can jump a score motor switch (or any switch) by having a piece of wire with alligator clips on both ends, and clipping them on to the tabs on the back of the particular switch you're trying to bypass. If you can't get to the switch tabs (sometimes, there's very little space) you can follow the wire out from whichever side of the switch your interested in on the schematic and clip it somewhere else along the same piece of wire, since that piece of wire and the tab are electrically connected (theoretically, anyway). Jumpering is useful in "forcing" a switch or section of a circuit to be closed, to see if that changes behavior and helps you find where the problem lies.

PLAYER UNIT SWITCHES (resized).pngPLAYER UNIT SWITCHES (resized).png

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Doomer:

Okay this probably a stupid question. How do you jump a motor switch? What does P2G P3G indicate on the schematic.
Thanks
Frank

Thanks for the quick reply. That is what I thought about the P designation. I have jumped coils before. I did not realize you could jump individual switches. So the power comes from the coil on the player unit and jumps to the individual switch stack.
Thanks
Frank

#12 1 year ago

Hey Frank,

Power (or electricity) doesn't come from the coils. Coils are just what they sound like - coils of wire that don't do anything until electrical current passes through them. Then a magnetic field is created and that field pulls in a metal plunger or pulls a metal plate to do work - eg. make a flipper move, make the player unit step up one time, pull in a relay armature, etc.

There is a voltage differential between the 2 sides of the transformer (another more descriptive name for voltage is "electro-motive force" - it's an electrical force that "pushes" electrons through a conductor. If you think of the analogy of water going through a hose, voltage is the water pressure, current is the actual flow of water, and a narrowing or kink in the hose that resists the flow of water could be resistance.). On the schematic, if you trace the wires from both ends of the transformer, you'll see that the wires travel up vertically on both sides of the 25V section of the schematic on the right, and the 6V section on the left. If you trace a path between the 2 vertical wires, through any coil, and through all the switches that are in series with it, the job of those switches is to turn on the coil in certain conditions by closing and allowing electrical current to pass through the coil, which turns it into a electro-magnet and allows it to do work. If a coil isn't turning on (having current pass through it), then either the coil is burnt open, there's a bad solder joint, a broken wire, or one or more of the switches aren't closing or making electrical contact when they should. By jumpering, you're trying to narrow down the area where the problem lies. Then usually, you have to get in there with your eyes and see what the actual problem is.

I'm sure there's a much better description of basic electrical behavior out there - MarkG is always very helpful and could probably steer you to one - in fact, he has a great site that you should probably look at that explains these things and how they're related to pinball very clearly (https://www.funwithpinball.com/) - plus it's just fun to go through! It would be a good idea for you to read a little about it - it makes troubleshooting easier if you understand the big picture of what you're going for. And you don't have to be an electrical engineer to work on EM's....just have some basic electrical knowledge and be able to think logically.

Good luck!

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from paulace:

Hey Frank,
Power (or electricity) doesn't come from the coils. Coils are just what they sound like - coils of wire that don't do anything until electrical current passes through them. Then a magnetic field is created and that field pulls in a metal plunger or pulls a metal plate to do work - eg. make a flipper move, make the player unit step up one time, pull in a relay armature, etc.
There is a voltage differential between the 2 sides of the transformer (another more descriptive name for voltage is "electro-motive force" - it's an electrical force that "pushes" electrons through a conductor. If you think of the analogy of water going through a hose, voltage is the water pressure, current is the actual flow of water, and a narrowing or kink in the hose that resists the flow of water could be resistance.). On the schematic, if you trace the wires from both ends of the transformer, you'll see that the wires travel up vertically on both sides of the 25V section of the schematic on the right, and the 6V section on the left. If you trace a path between the 2 vertical wires, through any coil, and through all the switches that are in series with it, the job of those switches is to turn on the coil in certain conditions by closing and allowing electrical current to pass through the coil, which turns it into a electro-magnet and allows it to do work. If a coil isn't turning on (having current pass through it), then either the coil is burnt open, there's a bad solder joint, a broken wire, or one or more of the switches aren't closing or making electrical contact when they should. By jumpering, you're trying to narrow down the area where the problem lies. Then usually, you have to get in there with your eyes and see what the actual problem is.
I'm sure there's a much better description of basic electrical behavior out there - MarkG is always very helpful and could probably steer you to one - in fact, he has a great site that you should probably look at that explains these things and how they're related to pinball very clearly (https://www.funwithpinball.com/) - plus it's just fun to go through! It would be a good idea for you to read a little about it - it makes troubleshooting easier if you understand the big picture of what you're going for. And you don't have to be an electrical engineer to work on EM's....just have some basic electrical knowledge and be able to think logically.
Good luck!

I understand that the transformer provides electric current to the machine. I was under the misunderstanding that the coil activated the switches. So when I jumper power to diagnose a switch stack I have been jumping coil to coil not coil to switch stack. So in my case all the coils I have jumped have been good in the above schematic. So in the above schematic I would jump the player unit coil to the to the BL-WH-Red wire in the 1A motor switch and that should activate the switch?

Thanks

#15 1 year ago

I dug up a copy of the game sequence of operation. Extremely helpful! Contained in paragraph nine, description of how the machine advances the player unit. Ball drains and is kicked to the hits the trough switch which closes P relay. P runs score motor & U relay. Wait a minute!!!! So I went by the customer house today to check this sequence. The U relay is held after the first score is registered in each play. But as soon as the outhole switch closes, U is released. It is supposed to re-energize again when the P relay is energized by the closing of the trough switch. P is indeed energizing and resetting the targets and other stuff, but U isn't coming on. Ah HA !!! So, I jumpered the U relay switch contacts for the player unit solenoid power. Then I tried the though switch. Presto - the player unit advanced to ball 2. I finally have something to go on. I came home and looked at the schematic after dinner. On my next visit, it loos like I need to check the switches at AX ( again ) H, and O . Any thoughts? Thanks again.

U relay circuit Gottlieb Royal Flush (resized).jpgU relay circuit Gottlieb Royal Flush (resized).jpg
#16 1 year ago

Sounds like you're close now. The U relay is supposed to energize when you score points on your first ball (that's when either the L, M or N switch closes). Once the U relay energizes, it's supposed to stay locked on through its lock-in circuit outlined in green in the snippet below.

RF U circuit (resized).JPGRF U circuit (resized).JPG

If it's not locking on, then you only have 2 switches to look at - one on the AX relay and one on the N relay. I'd guess it'll wind up being the AX switch since those AX relays have so little motion and are hard to see clearly if the switches are opening and closing.

Once it's fired, the U relay should stay energized until the AX switch opens again, which wouldn't happen until the next game reset.

#17 1 year ago

Thanks for replying. U does indeed lock on and stays energized UNTIL the ball drains. At this moment it releases. Paragraph 9 on the operation sequence suggests this is correct, as it states the following:

" The balls that enter the outhole are kicked across the through switch which pulls in "P" relay. "P" relay runs the motor. Switches on "U", motor 2C, "P", "BX" and motor 1A advances the player unit the required number of steps determined by the player unit switches and the coin unit. "

If I'm understanding this correctly, U does indeed let go when the ball drains, but is soon re energized by the trough switch. But I'm certainly open to any idea! And I will add, that without that page of information from Gottlieb about the sequence, this nightmare would be far worse. Thank god they took the time to write the order of operations out for repair persons.

#18 1 year ago

No, once you've scored points, the U relay should stay energized until the end of the game - I think you're misinterpreting that sequence of operation. Looking at the schematic, there's no way for the trough switch to turn on the U relay - it only turns on the P relay, which is when player/ball advance should happen. But it won't happen if U has relaxed. (See snippet in post #4)

You have to figure out why U is relaxing. Check those 2 switches (U and AX) in post #16 in green. Is your AX relay staying energized the entire time? Once the game goes through its reset sequence and starts, that AX relay should be in the same position the rest of the game.

#19 1 year ago

You are correct - boy do I feel like a Stooge. It was the AX relay. I had checked it early on in that repair and failed to take the time necessary to gap the contacts correctly. As you say, there isn't much throw, and the switch gaps are quite narrow. The stationary blades had zero over travel. I corrected that, and the game now chugs along as it should. The only silver lining is that I did indeed find a couple dozen other problems while trying to figure out why the cycle wasn't completing.

#20 1 year ago

Which one...Moe, Larry, Shemp or Curly? Nyah, nyah, nyah.

Glad you got it worked out. Those AX, BX, CX relays are touchy little things. There's so little motion to begin with that any little thing that reduces the amount of armature travel will cause you problems....you have to make sure everything's clean, moving freely, and possibly bias the switches a little to get the maximum armature movement, then life is easier. Even though they're a little tough to get dialed in, if you manage to do it, they do work well for a long time.

Hope you get to play the game now, if you're not sick of it already! It's a great game. Ed Krynski said it was his favorite of his own designs.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from paulace:

Which one...Moe, Larry, Shemp or Curly? Nyah, nyah, nyah

Oh, most definitely SHEMP!

Yes, I found the only way to get the AX to work reliably was to bias all the moving blades as much as possible without really distorting them. It did the trick. Thanks again for the help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Las Vegas, NV
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-gottlieb-royal-flush-stays-on-first-ball?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.