Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image001-1 (resized).png
20161006_195435 (resized).jpg
20161006_195428 (resized).jpg
20161001_131924 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I am new to pinballs. Just inherited a 1967 Gottlieb King of Diamonds EM pinball. It hasnt been turned on in 8 yrs! It will start when a coin is inserted, but then quickly stops. I have checked the fuses all is good. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

20161001_131924 (resized).jpg20161001_131924 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Here's a couple of good starting points:

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1.htm

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-pinball-circuits-basics-to-not-so-basic

There's probably not going to be a "quick fix". You're going to have to be more specific on what exactly the symptoms are, and you will probably have to do some troubleshooting.

Opening up the game and posting a video of the problem may help help others see what you're seeing.

#3 7 years ago

When you say "starts" and "stops" can you be more detailed?

After you insert a coin does a ball load into the shooter lane? Flippers work? Playfield light up? Score reels reset?

Stops - game goes dead? Kick switch been cleaned and adjusted? Tilt light coming on?

#4 7 years ago

Do you have a ball in the outhole?

#6 7 years ago

Hope this video helps.

No ball in the outhole.

#7 7 years ago

Sorry cant post video to new.

No ball in the outhole.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from inobmaz:

No ball in the outhole.

it won't kick a ball out and start if there's no ball...start there

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from inobmaz:

Sorry cant post video to new.
No ball in the outhole.

The post is now visible.

And yes, a ball is required in order to start a game.

If you do not have one available, list your location and see if there is anyone local who might be able to supply you with one so you can get started. Otherwise, you're going to have to order one.

#10 7 years ago

Cleaning contacts & checking each one, also check check on the 115 volt hold relay.

#11 7 years ago

one of your slam switches is open.... use an alligator jumper to make sure they are closed. door, bottom board and head I belive

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from TK2012:

Cleaning contacts & checking each one, also check check on the 115 volt hold relay.

Unless you know what you are doing, I would highly recommend you don't clean and adjust every contact...if you do, I guarantee you will make matters worse

#13 7 years ago

What happens if you manually step the score reels and then insert a coin? Do the reels reset?

If you don't have a ball you can manually close the outhole switch with your finger and see what happens.

#14 7 years ago

I found out that it was set up for freeplay by the owner years ago. Dunno how he did it. I checked the door and bottom slam switchs they work as intended. Have a pinball now when I place a qtr in it ejects it to play. Then the machine just stops. All fuses have been verified. Thanks all for the help. Its going to take sometime.

#15 7 years ago

Did you try manually advancing the score reels and then seeing if the game resets them before ejecting the ball?

When the ball ejects to the shooter lane, the "Add Ball Count" unit should advance as the ball passes over the trough switch. Does that happen?

#16 7 years ago

Dirty hold relay(s)? Check the contacts on those with the machine unplugged and clean them with very fine grit sandpaper slid in between them. Flexstone works too. Make sure the switches are gapped correctly both when you start and when you are finished. Some switches are normally closed when not pushed by the relay (pushes to open), and some are normally open when not pushed by the relay (pushes to closed). Make sure you do not confuse this.

Quoted from TK2012:

Cleaning contacts & checking each one

Not the best advice for a newbie, I find this can make many many things worse if you don't know EXACTLY what you are doing

#17 7 years ago

Also, is the tilt bob and/or tilt ball (ball or switch) stuck? These can be found inside of the cabinet, to left, by the coin door.

#18 7 years ago

A big clue would be that the bg lights shut off at the end. Shouldn't they be on whenever the machine is switched on regardless of whether there is a game being played or tilted? At least that is how my 70s era Gottlieb works. I do notice that the tilt light is on, so I would start there.

#19 7 years ago

I did notice the 0-9 continuous rotation stepper unit has a spring that isnt connected properly. What does it connect to on the stepper?

20161006_195428 (resized).jpg20161006_195428 (resized).jpg

20161006_195435 (resized).jpg20161006_195435 (resized).jpg

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from inobmaz:

I did notice the 0-9 continuous rotation stepper unit has a spring that isnt connected properly. What does it connect to on the stepper?

If I remember correctly it should be in one of those two holes seen right below the end of it.

However, this would not affect your issue.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from inobmaz:

I found out that it was set up for freeplay by the owner years ago. Dunno how he did it.

Just a swag on my part but, try pressing the coin return button. Otherwise, open the coin door and manually trip the coin switch below the mech and holding it a little longer.

It sounds to me like the machine is running the motor only to ball count-down (if that's the right term) and then stopping. My EM is rigged to the coin return for free play and sometimes will only half cycle as well.

#22 7 years ago

Thanks everyone for the input. Taking my time on this project will provide updates soon.

#23 7 years ago

Regarding your question in post #19, look at the drive lever and the drive return spring on your replay unit. That will show you where the drive return spring for your 0-9 unit should be attached - it's the same for both units.

- TimMe

#24 7 years ago

From what I can see in your video, you dropped in a quarter. This gave you five credits, but did not start the game. It looks like the game tried to start, but is tilted, or one of the slam switches or shut off switch is open. I don't know if you know how to access the inside of the game, but if you can get to the inside, manually close the "hold relay", and try again. If the game starts, one of the previously mentioned switches is open. Where are you located? I'm sure there's a pinsider EM guy in your area that would be willing to stop by and give you a hand with this issue. It appears to be something fairly simple.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from inobmaz:

As Otaku mentioned, the "0-9" stepper wouldn't have any bearing on the start-up issue.

#26 7 years ago

Silly question but after you drop your coin in you are pressing the start button on the coin door? it's the small lowest button this starts the game. Also check if the tilt plumb bob is not touching any part of the metal ring, Sometimes this can become dislodged during transport causing the machine to tilt on start up.

1 week later
#27 7 years ago

Update found an old timer that works on EM pinballs. He was great! It was the step down relay. Moving on to the cosmetic stuff. Does anyone know where I can find a repro of thos decal?

image001-1 (resized).pngimage001-1 (resized).png

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from inobmaz:

Does anyone know where I can find a repro of thos decal?

go to ipdb page and they have repro cards you can print.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Staunton, VA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-gottlieb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.