IMG_1534.jpg
IMG_1531.jpg
IMG_1536.jpg
IMG_1537.jpg
fright.jpg
027 (2).JPG
026 (3).JPG
#1 9 years ago

Could someone please check to see if these 2 connectors are used on your Shadow board set? They are located on the bottom left of the back box. According to my manual, J206 and J208 are not used.

026 (3).JPG026 (3).JPG027 (2).JPG027 (2).JPG

#2 9 years ago

I believe 206 & 208 are interchangeable with 207 & 209. What those other connectors are for, not sure. Someone may have run new wire. I'd leave them out and see what doesn't work.

#3 9 years ago

My right and left phurba ramp deflectors don't work with the buttons on the cabinet. They do work during start up so I know it's something about the cabinet buttons.

#4 9 years ago

The answer to your question is on page 2-40 of your manual; the left Phurba control switch runs through a green/orange and white/yellow pair of wires to the CPU. The right Phurba control switch runs through a green/brown and white/red pair of wires to the CPU. The two connectors in your picture do indeed connect to J206/J208, so go ahead and reconnect them.

That doesn't address the issue with the right Phruba, though. Put your game in switch edges test (T.1) and see if the game registers closure of the right Phurba control switch; if not, it's possible you have a broken wire on that switch, a broken diode, or some wiring issue there. The pictures I have on hand don't show the wiring of the right switch, so you'll have to trace wires to see where it connects. My *guess* is that it ties in to the coin door interface board somewhere...

#5 9 years ago

Also make sure right purba is well connected under the PF as well. If I remember right both had molex style quick connects.
If you do not find the answer you want send me a PM and I can take you some pictures of whatever you need to help.

#6 9 years ago

Thanks for all your responses. Will check it out tonight when I get home and update the thread with the results.

#7 9 years ago

With both connectors in place, the right phurba diverter works with the cabinet switch. When I try the same with the left phurba diverter, I get a slam tilt message and the game resets. Where do I look next?

Thanks

#8 9 years ago

And this stops when removed?

#9 9 years ago

Yes, when I remove the connector with the green/orange wire the left doesn't work with the button and it doesn't result in a slam tilt. I left the other connector in place and the right side continues to work correctly.

#10 9 years ago

Are you testing this with a game started, or are you in the diagnostic menu when this happens?

Put the game in test T.3 then press the advance (+) button until you reach switch 21; now press the left Phurba control button. Does the game slam tilt? Does the DMD show that switch 21 was actuated? Advance to switch 34 and repeat the test; what happens?

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from jadziedzic:

Are you testing this with a game started, or are you in the diagnostic menu when this happens?

Game started.

Quoted from jadziedzic:

Put the game in test T.3 then press the advance (+) button until you reach switch 21; now press the left Phurba control button. Does the game slam tilt?

No.

Quoted from jadziedzic:

Does the DMD show that switch 21 was actuated?

Yes.

Quoted from jadziedzic:

Advance to switch 34 and repeat the test; what happens?

Same results.

#12 9 years ago

With the power OFF disconnect the J3 connector at the opto switch-10 PCB (under the front left corner of the playfield). Turn the game on, enter T.3 in diagnostics advance to switch 21, and try the left Phurba button; what happens now? Advance to switch 34 and try the left Phurba button; what happens now?

If no switch closure is indicated on the DMD while on switch 21 and the left Phurba button is pressed, then the opto switch-10 board is defective (likely a bad diode D4).

#13 9 years ago

Will check this out tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks for the help.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from jadziedzic:

With the power OFF disconnect the J3 connector at the opto switch-10 PCB (under the front left corner of the playfield). Turn the game on, enter T.3 in diagnostics advance to switch 21, and try the left Phurba button; what happens now?

Switch does not close.

Quoted from jadziedzic:

Advance to switch 34 and try the left Phurba button; what happens now?

Switch does close.

Quoted from jadziedzic:

If no switch closure is indicated on the DMD while on switch 21 and the left Phurba button is pressed, then the opto switch-10 board is defective (likely a bad diode D4).

It would seem that the board is my issue.

#15 9 years ago

Certainly does seem like an issue with the opto switch-10 board. If you're comfortable with board repair work here are some things to try:

1) Remove the board from the playfield and carefully examine the solder connections around the J3 header pins - look for any shorts between adjacent pins.

2) Does it look like U1 might have been replaced at some point? (Look for signs of fresh solder on the pins of the chip.) If so, check for shorts between adjacent pins.

3) Try replacing D4 on that board; if that doesn't fix the issue the next thing to do is replace U1 on that board. (You could do some in-circuit diagnostics of the board, but it's probably easiest to just replace D4 and U1 as one/both of those are likely the culprit.)

#16 9 years ago

Am I comfortable with board work?
fright.jpgfright.jpg

I get excited when I can solder 2 wires on a coil lug. I have someone in NH that I can send the board out to be fixed, but he's backed up with work. I might have to go out and find a working used one or decide to shut the game down for a while.

Thanks for all the help. It's people like you that make pinside so great.

7 months later
#17 8 years ago

Good Evening jadziedzic,

I found this thread from 7 months ago and it seems to be my case exactly as well. Left Phurba working normally then one day the green wire from the phurba control come off and when I reattached it my problem surfaced. I followed your steps above and I think I may have a problem with my opto switch-10 board as above or a problem with wiring? Ok so here are a couple of images for your review. You sound like you know this game VERY well so I am hoping you might be able to confirm the part to replace for me.

Notice the difference on switch 21 AND 34 when i press the left phurba button! See all of the switches that are actually activating? It is actually a 21-28 and 34. I included a photo of opto switch-10 and it appears pristine. I work in technology and know that often times you cannot visually see problems with boards so any advice you can provide would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Ray

IMG_1537.jpgIMG_1537.jpg

IMG_1536.jpgIMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1531.jpgIMG_1531.jpg

IMG_1534.jpgIMG_1534.jpg

IMG_1532.jpgIMG_1532.jpg

IMG_1535.jpgIMG_1535.jpg

#18 8 years ago

Could it be that you soldered the wire at the wrong side of the diode ?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shadow-right-diverter-switch#post-2371754

#19 8 years ago

It is interesting that you said that. To be honest I might have but it would be on the button connection where it initially came off of if anything. I didn't touch anywhere else. I am going to attempt to switch it now. I'll let you know! Thanks for the idea.

#20 8 years ago

Well it didn't make any difference same result. bummer.

Was..
IMG_1550.jpgIMG_1550.jpg

now...
IMG_1551.jpgIMG_1551.jpg

Don't support that diode there could be bad? I'm guessing not because it does register open/close its just opening and closing a bunch of switches.

Ray

#21 8 years ago

Try it this way:
the shadow knows.jpgthe shadow knows.jpg

btw. yesterday I posted this picture:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/switch-and-diode-question-relating-to-tom#post-2601551
It's the same setup

#22 8 years ago

The ZaZa knows! Thanks that was it! When it broke loose I reconnected it to the wrong damn post! Thanks for saving me.

7 years later
#23 9 months ago

Found this thread when googling my issue with my Shadow….

Left Phurba Control switch works in Test (T1 & T3) but not during game play. Solenoid fires in Solenoid test.

Green wire came off of the leaf switch. I soldered it back to the correct lug on the switch. Verified it with the picture of this thread. I also have swapped the switch with the same switch from another shadow. No change.

Help?

1 month later
#24 8 months ago
Quoted from Steve-in-CT:

Switch does not close.

Switch does close.

It would seem that the board is my issue.

I just went through this process on my shadow and the phurba switch did not toggle the slam tilt either time however it did toggle Mongol targets 26 27 and 28.

The issue on the surface I'm having is the same. When the left phurba is triggered but the button, a column lights up starting with slam tilt and going all the way down to the Mongol targets in column 2 . With it disconnected the games internal switch to change the diverter works just fine as long as the button is disconnected.

4 months later
#25 4 months ago

Hi every time I shoot the ball into the scoop where the ball goes to the upper playfield nothing happens. Not even ball search helps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

#26 4 months ago

The ball goes somewhere and nothing happens. Even ball search doesn't help.

The first thing to check is mechanical. Is there trash (a small piece of plastic, a screw, a broken part) preventing the ball from getting where it should go or messing with switch activation?

The second thing to check is the switch. The ball is supposed to activate a switch so that the game knows that it should activate the coil to kick the ball out. Does the switch have broken wires? Tug on them to make sure. Something mechanical with it's operation? Go into 'Switch Edges' test. Can you get the switch to register in test mode?

Not kicking the ball out in ball search. The coil that kicks the ball... are the wires connected to it? Tug on them to make sure. Go into coil test. Can you get the coil to activate in coil test?

Let us know what you find!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-from-shadow-owners and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.