Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B1AF75AB-819D-4C5C-AF4F-BBA161595ED7 (resized).jpeg
139F5FC2-A39E-4FDC-A480-EB938448949C (resized).jpeg
no second flash fakers guide (resized).JPG
pinball 1 flash small (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

This is an ongoing problem and I just keep chasing rabbits and barking up the wrong tree. Maybe the video will help someone lead me in the right direction. Rarely does the game just fire up but follow my routine in the video and see how I manage to play a few games before it decides to crap out.
I get 1 flash on startup. According to my research, 1st flash tests the CPU Ram on U1. Therefore, that component is good. The 2nd and 3rd flash sequence is validating the program ROMs at U2 & U3. I have changed the bases on both of these, ordered new game ROMs, reflowed each pin and still cannot get consistent play. After I tap on each chip, turn on the game and within 3 tries I usually get it to complete a 9 sequence flash cycle. I can usually get through a few games before it suddenly freezes up. The gamefield will look like it does at the start of the video. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the freeze up as I've had it do it while in play, in attract mode, and when the ball is just sitting in the shooter lane. The CPU is a new Swemmer board and I have replaced most of the plug sockets. New power board, displays, and reconditioned soundboard. ANY help will be greatly appreciated.

pinball 1 flash small (resized).pngpinball 1 flash small (resized).png
#2 4 years ago

Did you repin the connectors? If the original MPU had corrosion damage, the connectors probably do too. That would be my first step.

Also, fyi, I only see an image, no video.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks, i'll check the video. Yes, I repinned the connectors.

#4 4 years ago

#5 4 years ago

Sorry about no sound and slow start on the video. I was describing the problem but the sound didn't get recorded.

#6 4 years ago

This is what I found about a -35 board. I was wondering if the U7 chip does the same thing on a 6803 board?
no second flash fakers guide (resized).JPGno second flash fakers guide (resized).JPGno second flash fakers guide (resized).JPGno second flash fakers guide (resized).JPGno second flash fakers guide (resized).JPGno second flash fakers guide (resized).JPGno second flash fakers guide (resized).JPGno second flash fakers guide (resized).JPGno second flash fakers guide (resized).JPGno second flash fakers guide (resized).JPG

1 week later
#7 3 years ago

Here’s the boot sequence for 6803 MPU and 6809 sound card. Not sure if these can be directly translated to the Swemmer MPU or not...

139F5FC2-A39E-4FDC-A480-EB938448949C (resized).jpeg139F5FC2-A39E-4FDC-A480-EB938448949C (resized).jpegB1AF75AB-819D-4C5C-AF4F-BBA161595ED7 (resized).jpegB1AF75AB-819D-4C5C-AF4F-BBA161595ED7 (resized).jpeg
#8 3 years ago

Ya, that's where I'm kinda stuck. Get one flash. The second and third flashes are for the game ROMs and I already replaced the bases and ROMs. I don't know if there is another secondary chip that is being accessed and preventing the game from booting. I also don't know if the tapping on the board is actually doing something or it's just coincidental and I just happen to get a signal to latch on and continue to boot when I turn it back on. Thanks for the help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-from-a-6803-cpu-tech and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.