Popeye Saves The Earth - Upper flippers disabled except during multiball

By LesManley

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

My flippers on the upper playfield don't work during normal gameplay. Seems like I have a randomly activating switch on the lower pf. Once the game detects a hit on any of the switches in the lower playfield it will shut down the flippers on the upper pf. I put the game into switch test and I don't get any other random switches firing in test, but does anyone know what shots makes Popeye let out a low groan like "ohh". I have heard that sound bite and seen small amounts of point being rewarded at weird times, normally when just hitting the flippers. That might be firing and shutting off the upper playfield. The upper playfield works perfectly during multiball when all flippers are enabled, so it has to be a lower playfield switch firing, but I can't figure out which one. Anyone else experienced this or maybe know where to look?

#2 9 years ago

Check the flipper button switches, make sure nothing got misaligned inadvertently while shopping. check the connections on the fliptronic board, make sure they are tight.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from WOLF:

Check the flipper button switches, make sure nothing got misaligned inadvertently while shopping. check the connections on the fliptronic board, make sure they are tight.

I reseated everything on the fliptronic board. In a test game, bottom flippers worked just fine now and the upper flippers worked great on one trip to the upper playfield, then they were dead after that. I have a STTNG and a JD and I believe the fliptronics boards are compatible, so I am going to try swapping one in and see if that changes anything.

#4 9 years ago

Ok, so I swapped fliptronics boards and the issue with the upper flippers is still there. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. The game recognizes the ball is going up the escalator to get to the upper playfield, but it's almost like it turns off the upper playfield too early when it gets up there. Interesting enough, it seems like they always work during multiball. Any other Popeye owners seen that before or know what lets the game know that the ball is still on the upper playfield?

#5 9 years ago

Had another person tell me this. Sounds like this may be it and that would explain why everything works great in test mode too.

"It's a randomly activating switch on the lower pf. Once the game detects a hit on any of the switches in the lower playfield it will shut down the flippers on the upper pf. Put the game into switch test and try thumping on the pf with your fist to see if you can get any switches to spontaneously activate. If that yields nothing, inspect all the roller over switches and target switches and other rebound switches behind rubber rings. If after all that you don't see anything can be a problem with an opto switch or the opto driver board."

I don't get any other random switches firing in test, but does anyone know what shots makes Popeye let out a low groan like "owe". I have heard that sound bite and seen small amounts of point being rewarded at weird times. That might be firing and shutting off the upper playfield.

#6 9 years ago

I don't know if that is right, but it all sounds very logical. With a game started and the glass off, try making all the switches by hand until you find the one that makes the grown and rewards the small amount of points, then check the adjustment of that switch.

2 weeks later
#7 9 years ago

Check the switch matrix for all open and closed switches. Verify everyone is correct. For instance if a ramp opto is suppose to be closed but is open then machine will think the ball is off the upper playfield.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

Check the switch matrix for all open and closed switches. Verify everyone is correct. For instance if a ramp opto is suppose to be closed but is open then machine will think the ball is off the upper playfield.

I'm going to go through it tonight. It loads into the elevator and lets you choose your award, then fires it up to the upper playfield. The music changes for the upper playfield, but neither flipper works and the music changes back right away, so the ball just rolls down the center drain hole to the lower playfield.

#9 9 years ago

Just from your description I would check the two jab targets next to the Bluto lock ball chute. They have been known to get loose very often due to the balls speed straight up the middle, and I believe it makes a sound similar to what you are referring to.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Decat:

Just from your description I would check the two jab targets next to the Bluto lock ball chute. They have been known to get loose very often due to the balls speed straight up the middle, and I believe it makes a sound similar to what you are referring to.

Will do. Thanks!

#11 9 years ago

is the "Ooh" sound the sound Popeye makes when you shoot a ball at the left ramp, the ball doesn't have enough steam, and it rolls back down? (The ball triggers the first opto switch in the left part of the ramp, but NOT the opto on the RH side since it rolls back,)

I played a lot of games last night and this one stuck out to me....

Maybe that Left opto on the ramp entrance is flaking out (if that's the sound it's making)

-Dan

#12 9 years ago

The "ohh" sound is indeed when the ball only goes partially up the left ramp.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

Maybe that Left opto on the ramp entrance is flaking out (if that's the sound it's making)

This also makes a lot of sense because optos in test will generally test out just fine, but optos that are flaky will flake out during the game.

#14 9 years ago

Nice. That would make perfect sense. I didn't get a chance to look at it last night, but I will tonight and I will check that first. Thanks guys.

#15 9 years ago

When you do, before you just call the opto bad, both check to see if the opto is tightened all the way down, and if it is clean. To me, it sounds equally likely that it could be a vibration issue with a loose opto causing it.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

When you do, before you just call the opto bad, both check to see if the opto is tightened all the way down, and if it is clean. To me, it sounds equally likely that it could be a vibration issue with a loose opto causing it.

I pulled the ramp when I shopped it, and I know that bracket is broken for the opto there, so there is a good chance it is loose or misaligned.

#17 9 years ago

Hope the light is near for ya after checking the opto. Been following this thread with fingers crossed!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 40.00
$ 37.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-flippers-intermittent-but-work-fine-in-switch-test and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.