Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1FEA2DE5-3F16-42EA-A8DA-0BFEBC713529 (resized).jpeg
96A4973C-D7C3-407A-BA21-CCE659AA9FE7 (resized).jpeg
697E205D-3063-408C-B8F3-49E174F7B58A (resized).jpeg
CABE4DA6-28C0-4F00-BB0C-D726566B6BF9 (resized).jpeg
619CE2EE-D9EF-472E-806C-2786BEB0EB33 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

I received my first new CPR Meteor playfield last week. It’s gorgeous, but I noticed a few little things that need to be fixed. I emailed CPR last week, but haven’t heard back from them yet. Let me start by saying I have zero experience clear coating a playfield.

The big issue (actually it’s pretty tiny) is that there is a raised bump in the clear low and in the center of the playfield. It catches the light so it’s pretty easy to see when you look. If it is just a speck of crud, can I just sand it down with a progression of 1500-2000-3000 grit sand paper and the polish with novus 2? I would hate to send this back or send it out to redo the clear for something so small.

My other issue is just that the playfield seems lightly scuffed. Will novus 2 get rid of that, or is there a better way?

619CE2EE-D9EF-472E-806C-2786BEB0EB33 (resized).jpeg619CE2EE-D9EF-472E-806C-2786BEB0EB33 (resized).jpeg697E205D-3063-408C-B8F3-49E174F7B58A (resized).jpeg697E205D-3063-408C-B8F3-49E174F7B58A (resized).jpeg96A4973C-D7C3-407A-BA21-CCE659AA9FE7 (resized).jpeg96A4973C-D7C3-407A-BA21-CCE659AA9FE7 (resized).jpegCABE4DA6-28C0-4F00-BB0C-D726566B6BF9 (resized).jpegCABE4DA6-28C0-4F00-BB0C-D726566B6BF9 (resized).jpeg
#2 2 years ago

What quality designation did you purchase, Gold, Silver, or Bronze?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

There was no designation at purchase and nothing stamped on the back. This is one of the short runs, and the last one that was in stock.
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-playfields/meteor-playfield/

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

There was no designation at purchase and nothing stamped on the back. This is one of the short runs, and the last one that was in stock.
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-playfields/meteor-playfield/

Dang. I think I'd wait until they got back with you. I am sure they are a little overwhelmed, just try them again.

#5 2 years ago

First step is to contact them and wait for a reply as they will get back to you when can. Posting here about your problem before it's solved will just create ill-will between you and them. Good Luck.

P.S. I had a problem with a PF years ago much worse then yours, took about 2-3 months and was very happy with the outcome as I was refunded all costs + shipping.

#6 2 years ago

Too bad they're so slow to respond to a quality issue. No excuse as far as I'm concerned. Posting here is a good place to start since they haven't responded to you.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Too bad they're so slow to respond to a quality issue. No excuse as far as I'm concerned. Posting here is a good place to start since they haven't responded to you.

Yea, he is for sure looking at several months if not longer to get this fixed and that is even if they bother to fix it.

#8 2 years ago

I’m really not trying to step on any toes, I just want to know if there is a way to fix minor blemishes without clear coating or mailing it back. It’ll save everyone some time and money if it is something I can do on my own. I meant this to be more of a technical question than a customer service discussion.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I’m really not trying to step on any toes, I just want to know if there is a way to fix minor blemishes without clear coating or mailing it back. It’ll save everyone some time and money if it is something I can do on my own. I meant this to be more of a technical question than a customer service discussion.

Just FYI, as soon as you sand on it or do anything the warranty is voided and then you get nothing.

#10 2 years ago

It was a long weekend up here so that will probably a factor in the response.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

It was a long weekend up here so that will probably a factor in the response.

Oh cool. Didn’t know that. I forget CPR is in Canada

#12 2 years ago

If you do try to do it yourself, you don't want to use Novus 2. It's too aggressive and you will get lots of swirls. Get a professional polishing compound for this application.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

Finally got a chance to snap a pic. No stamp on this.

1FEA2DE5-3F16-42EA-A8DA-0BFEBC713529 (resized).jpeg1FEA2DE5-3F16-42EA-A8DA-0BFEBC713529 (resized).jpeg
#14 2 years ago

It’s hard to tell from the picture. Can you feel it with your fingernail? Is it a raised spot? If so you can probably sand it smooth with 1500 or finer paper as you suggested. If there is a spot that is discolored it will still be there. I would not be afraid to use novus 2 to get the scratches out but it will take some work to rub it out by hand.

#15 2 years ago

Ditto the comments regarding your warranty. But technically if you want to DIY, you would wet sand to remove whatever blemish is in the clear coat using 1200 or 1500 paper, then polish with 1500 polishing compound. I have found Novus 2 and 1500 polishing compound to be similar, if not identical. You can get the compound (and the paper) from any automotive paint supply store. Tell them what you're doing, they'll fix you up.

#16 2 years ago

My personal experience with CPR is a fast response when I want to buy something and dead silence when I need help with defective goods. The best offer of help I’ve ever received from CPR to take care of their defects was to ship it back on my own dime.

Give them a chance but don’t hold your breath. Let it sit until you get a final response from them. It likely would benefit from additional curing time anyway. If they don’t make good, fix it yourself. Your suggested approach is good in theory but be careful sanding. If the Novus 2 doesn’t get you where you want to be, get some good 3m polishing compounds and pads.

#17 2 years ago

CPR no longer grades their playfields. The explanation is the grading isn’t relevant due to the digital registration of the prints being 100% accurate henceforth, so there will be no more “gold, silver, bronze” tiers.

That said, the Cheetah playfield I got from them recently also has a couple of these pinholes in the clear. I’m going to have them fixed by Keith Holbrook from Total Pinball Restorations when I go pick up my Big Game playfield. No idea when that will happen but if I remember by the time that comes, I’ll post what route he takes to fix them. He said it could be done while I’m there, so it must not be too intense.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

My personal experience with CPR is a fast response when I want to buy something and dead silence when I need help with defective goods.

This has been going on for years, and there are threads about it. When the fire gets hot, they vow to do better...and each time, nothing changes. These guys aren't making $.10 playfield posts...they are making $1000 playfields. There is no excuse for not having someone in place to respond to customer service emails in a timely fashion by now.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from bam10:

It’s hard to tell from the picture. Can you feel it with your fingernail? Is it a raised spot?

Yes it is a small raised spot in the clear coat.

#20 2 years ago

Not saying to do this but if was me and I was going to sand it I'd make sure that only the speck itself gets hit with the sandpaper, at first anyway, and maybe tape a really thin mask with a tiny hole over the speck just to be sure what doesn't need sanding doesn't get it.

#21 2 years ago

I'd let the playfield sit a few weeks and wetsand and buff it out. It will cost you far more to ship it back to Canada and back then to take care of it yourself if CPR is even inclined to do anything about it.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

This has been going on for years, and there are threads about it. When the fire gets hot, they vow to do better...and each time, nothing changes. There is no excuse for not having someone in place to respond to customer service emails in a timely fashion by now.

Maybe they're following JJP in the way of customer service...

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from gjm:

Maybe they're following JJP in the way of customer service...

I think it’s the other way around

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Yes it is a small raised spot in the clear coat.

In that case sanding and buffing should take care of it.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

No stamp on this.

Has this PF been installed elsewhere?
Send it to Kruzman to get it done right

#27 2 years ago

Good luck getting a response from them and even if you do, you will never get any satisfaction

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

CPR no longer grades their playfields.

That’s a relief to hear. The three recent playfields I have unboxed from them didn’t have any distinctions however I recall one I had to select a grade and I went with gold. Was either high speed or Elvira. NOT the recent most run probably just over a year ago.

#29 2 years ago

Over the weekend I talked with Mike and Kevin from CPR, who were really great about helping out and giving suggestions. I've included a snip of the response below in the event anyone wants to try this out. After hemming and hawing, I've decided the flaw is too small to really worry much about, and have since almost completed my playfield swap.

"Start with wet 1500 or so, mask off the area with something fairly durable and thin (I’ve used mylar or even clear packing tape so that only a small area around the defect is exposed) Go slow as that’s the key to not having to rework a large area. By hand is fine, but you tend to wear through and have to often replace your protective layer of tape or whatever, so maybe try a sanding stick, there are many kinds, but the idea basically is to just sand what you need instead of a large area for, for example https://www.amazon.com/Excel-Blades-55700-Sanding-Stick/dp/B0019N4TPY/ref=sr_1_9 , although the version I use is old and looks more like a replaceable pencil eraser, more like a scratch brush. The one I have is small enough that it fits into an old rotary tool, that was original used in drafting or artistry and is cheap at $12 or so. See Amazon for cheap knockoffs.

Once its level to the touch, you’ll have a spot just the size of the original defect, just use a dremel with the white pads and polish it up. Be careful to not let the heat buildup on the polishing pad, so keep the area wet with polish and the speeds low on the dremel. You can also do it by hand, it just takes longer. Blend it in and install your PF and enjoy it."

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 199.95
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 169.00
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-fixing-a-cpr-playfield- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.