Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC08235 (resized).JPG
DSC08236 (resized).JPG
DSC08234 (resized).JPG
DSC08233 (resized).JPG
DSC08232 (resized).JPG
DSC08231 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Vinnypin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I have a Party Zone pinball that I can't seem to find the source of a problem between the flashers and the Captain B Zarr eject saucer.

Noting that every single flash bulb was burnt out on the game, I was in the process of installing new bulbs for each flash circuit with the game in test mode for each of the distinct flashers. I quickly realized that if I installed just one of say the two or three flashers for each circuit, that the eject hole would try to fire... essentially, when the flasher was energized, the eject solenoid would weakly fire as well. Left in for anything more than 3 pulses, and the flashers would all burn out.

I also noted that with the playfield flash lamps installed, but NOT installing the backbox flasher for each associated circuit, would alleviate the problem. Meaning no backbox flasher, no eject firing, and flashers would not burn out.

Also of note is that the flashers that are affected are only the ones on the High power side of connector J126 on the power driver board. The 4 other flash lamp circuits are on J122 and J123.

I've tried a known working Driver board from another game and the results do not change from board to board, so I'm convinced it's somewhere in the wiring or playfield. I have checked EVERY flash lamp socket for shorts, or frayed wires that might connect to any wiring on the solenoid circuit. Nothing has been found that would cause the short as described.

The power for the flash lamps is fed by the Black/White wire coming from J107, but that also feeds the 4 flash lamp circuits that do NOT cause the eject to try and fire, so I'm stumped as to where else to try and determine the short may lie.

Just for information's sake, the Captain Head also has an issue where the activation of the switch for the rear VUK sends the head into a non stop clockwise spin until the wires wrapping around the mechanism bind it up and cause a malfunction and it shuts down the motor. The Head Direction and Head On/Off transistors also run through the J126 connector, just like the problem flashers. Not sure if this is completely unrelated or not, just noting what I've found.

Where and how would you continue to diagnose where this short could lie? I'm all ears.
Thanks

#3 7 years ago

Party Zone is a WPC game, not sys11c.. However, some of the later games were equipped with Fliptronics, vs the older style flippers. This game is NOT a fliptronics version. It has a Rottendog CPU running the L-3 software, which as far as I can tell, IS the correct version. (fliptronics ROM software was F-4).

#6 7 years ago

Sorry Zaza, I was mistaken.. Im reading a less than ideal copy of the solenoid wiring chart from the PZ manual... the correct power wire for the flashers in question IS in fact RED-WHT, not Red-Blk, as I said earlier. Thanks for the correction.

I'll get pictures shortly.

#7 7 years ago

Here's pictures:

DSC08231 (resized).JPGDSC08231 (resized).JPG

DSC08232 (resized).JPGDSC08232 (resized).JPG

DSC08233 (resized).JPGDSC08233 (resized).JPG

DSC08234 (resized).JPGDSC08234 (resized).JPG

DSC08236 (resized).JPGDSC08236 (resized).JPG

DSC08235 (resized).JPGDSC08235 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 40.00
Machine - For Sale
Walbridge, OH
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Glen Rock, PA
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, IN
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Vinnypin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-finding-short-between-flashers-and-eject-saucer?tu=Vinnypin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.