• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3325 (resized).jpg
IMG_3275 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I am really having a hard time finding the original and am open to an equivalent or even re-winding the coil myself. I don't know the wire gauge or number of winds.

The machine is a 1949 United Serenade. I bought it off Craigslist and it needed some work. I cleaned and lubed everything and it now plays well. But, at about the time I smelled something burning, the 30v fuse blew. I tracked it down to this burnt coil, removed one wire and the fuse now doesn't blow. Shorted coil. I should mention that some of the coils look newer, so someone has worked on it before me.

So, now to the hard part: finding a replacement coil. I have tried PBResource and Flippers and they don't have the coil.

The paper behind the coil says Bumper Intermediate Relay 6-23 coil. Picture below. I don't have the schematics for the game, but found one for a similar game (Oklahoma) but that doesn't have any more description. I removed the bad coil and it's a 6-23-355, but I am pretty sure it is not the original coil, and my guess is that the resistance was too low and that's why it burned out.

Can anyone help me track down a replacement or tell me the specs to get a donor coil to re-wind it? Many thanks!

IMG_3275 (resized).jpgIMG_3275 (resized).jpgIMG_3325 (resized).jpgIMG_3325 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

Try a Williams Z-28-1150 relay coil.

#3 4 years ago

Many thanks, Ken. I will give that a try. Cheers!

#4 4 years ago

Well, that kind of worked! The bumpers now score, but the no longer trip the relays that make the numbers on the Playfield have to be hit in sequence. I figured out the two relays are inline, so I am imagining the resistance of the two coils has to be fairly close for both to activate together.

I am thinking I would be best off to measure the resistance of the other coil and try to match that. But I am by no means an expert, so any advice on how to get the right coil would be appreciated!

5 months later
#5 3 years ago

Were you able to source a coil?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-finding-replacement-coil-for-united-6-23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.