Need help finding my first pinball

By blondetall

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hi all. I've been lurking at work for awhile now but finally joined the site so I can chat. I'm looking for a Jurassic Park pinball (have put wanted ads here and on Craigslist) but can't seem to find anything local. I am in Chattanooga, TN and we have a local "shop" but it seems they don't want to sell me anything. When I called today and asked if he had one or knew of a place to get one, he literally said "Oh, you don't want that one. It's bad." End of discussion, wouldn't help me anymore, so I hung up. Almost as bad when I went in the shop in May and told him I was looking for an Addams (he has a beat-up one for $9K) or a Tales from the Crypt, Jurassic Park, or Star Wars. I was told then and there that all Data East were crap and I shouldn't buy one, but then he tried to force me into an Austin Powers that I had no interest in whatsoever.
So... I need help. I've searched online and can only find iffy ones on eBay for inflated prices, or I can find them on "professional" website like M&P Amusement which gets bad reviews on this site and others. Does anyone have any suggestions on a reliable place to get a machine, especially a Jurassic Park? I don't want museum quality, I want a nice reliable machine that I can play without having to fix every time, since the local experts literally want nothing to do with it. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

#2 11 years ago

Welcome! Just keep an eye out on the market place on here. eBay, Craigslist, another good place is pynball.com. Just be patchent and don't over pay! Good luck JP is an awesome pin I would like to have one some day

#3 11 years ago

What would be considered overpaying these days? I assume I'll have to pay shipping, and I've seen that run $250-600. (The $600 sounded high but was California.) I am trying to get an idea of what a good deal would be, since right now there's a good chance I'd jump at the first one I could find.

#4 11 years ago

I think 1800 would be a fair price for a good condition and 100% working. I probably over paid for my Taxi when I got but I couldn't pass it up it was very local. So some times it's ok to over pay alittle as long as its a pin you really want. If you do find a JP MAKE THE TREX is 100% working

#5 11 years ago

Well, I've been looking for a pin for awhile now. Patience is a virtue. Psych yourself up right now that three or four awesome deals will probably fall through. And remember that you kinda have to pay to educate yourself on this stuff. Don't lose hope, though! They're out there waiting for you. And remember its only pinball. Good luck.

#6 11 years ago

I have seen 2 Jp's for sale in upstate ny area in the last few weeks. One was $1500 and the other was $1600. Both in decent shape. Just to give you an idea. Both were local sale but if you want i can ask if they will ship. GL I hope you find one. Just got my first pin last week (tspp) and I'm loving it.

#7 11 years ago

he probably said jurassic park is crap because the dino breaks, and many resellers don't know how to fix anything, so they want rock solid williams pins to sell. Nothing wrong with any pin, especially a data east (in fact I might go so far as to say many DE pins are in excellent condition because they aren't played as much, or abused).

Any pin in good condition and ready to play is a good pin, but being your first pin, just make sure it's something you know you'll like. Try to play one on location, try emulators to get a feel of the gameplay and sounds (so when you play the real thing, you'll notice right away if something is working funny, or sounds are missing, or lighting isn't right).

#8 11 years ago

JP was always my favorite when I played in arcades around here when I was younger, but that was in the 90s so it's been about 15 years or so, and I need a refresher. I've been looking at this site, putting up Craigslist ads for machines or places to find machines for play, and literally visiting bowling alleys and bars to attempt to find a single pinball for play anywhere and can't find one. No Jurassic Park for sure, but literally not a single playable pinball of any kind. (Other than at the actual "pinball store" that won't work with me and tells me what I do/don't want instead of trying to be helpful. You'd think for someone with "20+ years of experience and thousands of machines in the warehouse" he'd be a little more helpful or at least listen to me to get my business, but nope.)

#9 11 years ago

Good luck on your hunt! Best advice: Be patient.

#10 11 years ago

Actually, TAF is my actual favorite, but there's no way I'm putting out $9K for a machine with a damaged cabinet down at the local shop. I figure I'll start with JP and work my way up eventually, especially since TZ is hopefully going to be available on my PS3 soon and maybe Addams will follow.

#11 11 years ago

We've got a TAF with a full set of cliffys and bookcase decals for $3750, and we ship. In terms of condition, it's not going to win any awards, but it's not a horrible machine either. You can see it pre-cliffys (so you can see the wear they cover) at:

http://s700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/rebeccabjohnston/Addams%20Family/

Do try calling your local route operator and see if they have anything. A lot of places are dumping pins these days, as they have a terrible operation cost to earnings ratio. If you have a Mr. Pinball price list guide, take it along, too, as it's a good bargaining chip.

#12 11 years ago

I am in Chattanooga, TN and as far as I know there is no local route operator. I can't find any pins anywhere in this town, except at the local pinball store that literally won't help me because they don't like Data East and want $9K for a used to heck Addams. I am at work and can't see the pics, but will look as soon as I get home. Any idea on what kind of shipping costs that might be?

#13 11 years ago

I would stay away from any shop that tries to push an Austin powers on you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-finding-my-first-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.