• 10 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Danovh
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

First off, I wish a Happy & Healthy New Year to all,

I've been diagnosing a lamp matrix row failure, row 8 lights are out. My diagnosis has led to the failure being on the driver board not the playfield.
I purchased a Logic Probe & I have to say this thing is really cool. So I've been testing the failed circuit comparing results to a working circuit & found many differences with most of the components. The difference starts at IC12 output, so I'm assuming the other components in the failing circuit are getting different results from the working circuit because IC12 seems to be failing. Am I correct in this analysis? I realize there could be other failing components after IC12, I did already replace Q59 2N6122 Transistor because it was shorted out but that didn't correct the problem. My real question is, could a failing component after IC12 in that circuit cause IC12 to read bad? Or should I start with replacing IC12 & work from there?

#2 4 years ago

Is your IC12 pin 2 high or low?

The 2N5060 SCR at S7 could be pulling IC12 output pin2 low if it is shorted (though not very common for the SCR's to short). But since you found Q59 shorted, there might be a problem in row 8 somewhere in playfield. Row short to GI or coil wire perhaps?

I would try first re-checking R130, Q58, Q59 and then replacing IC12.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks for your reply Tuukka,

If I remember correctly IC12 pin 2 was high, but I will have to confirm, also I have checked that the playfield is good. If i pull the connector & jump a any working pin to row 8 on the connector, those lights works fine. So the playfield wouldn't be an issue, correct? I will recheck R130, Q58, Q59.

#4 4 years ago

If pin2 is high then the S7 SCR and R129 are OK. And yes, if the lights work when connecting row 8 to another row there should be no problems at the playfield either. So the problem is in either IC12, R130, Q58 or Q59.

#5 4 years ago

OK, thanks, I will check those.

#6 4 years ago

I just checked IC12 pin 2 & it's low, so I checked S7 compared to S8 & this is what I got.

S7 = C Low B Low & E Low
S8 = C Low B Low & E Pulsing Low

Then compared R129 to R138.

R129 = High & Low
R138 = High & Pulsing Low

#7 4 years ago

Bump

#8 4 years ago

While running the internal displays test will do you fine, take a look at these test ROMs: http://pincoder.ca

If you're just doing displays you dont really need to run the ROMs themselves. However, take a look at the .txt files for each of the tests. It may help you understand what's going on behind the scenes.

If you do decide you want to go through your whole machine, these tests are better than the built-in diagnostics and you'll gain a good understanding of how the whole thing works.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:While running the internal displays test will do you fine, take a look at these test ROMs: http://pincoder.ca

If you're just doing displays you dont really need to run the ROMs themselves. However, take a look at the .txt files for each of the tests. It may help you understand what's going on behind the scenes.

If you do decide you want to go through your whole machine, these tests are better than the built-in diagnostics and you'll gain a good understanding of how the whole thing works.

Not sure this is relevant to my issue.

2 months later
#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

The 2N5060 SCR at S7 could be pulling IC12 output pin2 low if it is shorted

Hats off to Tuukka, it was the 2N5060 SCR @ S7. All good now.
Thank you Tuukka

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Washington, KY
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-diagnosing-williams-hot-tip-lamp-matrix-row-failure and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.