Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3806_(resized).JPG
IMG_3805_(resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

Hi All - the first pin I bought is an IJ. I was/am a total newbie, and the seller pointed out some bunching of the decals near the legs, it didn't look too bad. I spoke with some pinsiders who said that can be typical.

Well, it looks really bad to me right now, and I think the reason is when the machine was shown to me, I recall it having some type of felt in between the leg and the cabinet, almost like a protector. The bunching likely happened right where that felt hit the cabinet. The felt or protector that was there was not passed along to me, and so now the "bubbling" is like half an inch or so from the leg so it stands out more.

This is starting to bother me, so I would like to get it corrected and protected. I need some advice on how to correct it, and also what to install to protect it. I have read some forum posts, and have seen a few different approaches, so I wanted to show the photos of my machine. These are pictures of the left front leg, which is the worst example, the other legs are not as bad. I do have a PinGulp installed on this left front leg as well.

IMG_3805_(resized).JPGIMG_3805_(resized).JPG

IMG_3806_(resized).JPGIMG_3806_(resized).JPG

#2 8 years ago

You basically have 3 options:

1) re-decal the cabinet. This is time consuming - but it's the only option that will result in completely fixing the issue
2) using a hair dryer, soften the decals where it's wrinkled and push it back down with your finger. This will make it look better in most cases, but usually doesn't completely resolve the issue (and sometimes doesn't work at all).
3) re-purchase the larger leg protectors and cover the wrinkles - this may or may not cause new wrinkling around the protector depending on how tight you put the legs on/nudge the game. I've also seen the felt buff the clear off of the decal leaving a matte look where the felt touched the cabinet. I'm not a fan at all of the leg protectors and remove them from any game I buy that has them...but it would cover up the wrinkles in your situation. Here is the link: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PINCAB

Damon

#3 8 years ago

Thanks Damon, I think I am going to try steps 2 and 3 first.

For Step 2, is there any technique that will give best chance of success? For example, should I take the leg off, and after heating up the decal, do I use something like a ruler or credit card and and gently push the "air pockets" toward the edge? Or, do you just push straight down with your finger, etc...?

Thanks!

Carl

#4 8 years ago

Just play the pinball,who cares dude?

#5 8 years ago

Jack up the cab and take the leg off.

Put on a Stern style decal protector against the cab, and trace it's outline through the decal with a sharp razor knife:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2711

Gently warm the decal with a hair dryer.

Using the tip of the razor, gently lift the edge of the decal along where you made the cut. Re-warm the area if necessary.

Keeping the decal warm, peel back the decal. Don't stretch it. Let it stick to an old credit card so it does not re-adhere to the cab while you work your way up.

Keeping the decal warm, now smooth it back into place - free of any bubbles.

Install the Stern decal protector.

Install the leg.

Move to the next leg......

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Just play the pinball,who cares dude?

This would drive me crazy and I would need to do exactly what he is doing...finding a solution

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 85.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

14,000 (OBO)
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-correcting-decals-that-are-bunched-up-near-legs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.