• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-4.jpeg
th-3.jpeg
IMG_20130707_153351.jpg
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I'm trying to expand my pin collection and I want to add a great playing 1980's alpha-numeric pin. I've got an early 1970's EM Williams Super Star, a late 1970's SS Bally Star Trek and a late 1970's Game Plan Star Trip cocktail pin. Trying to put together a varied collection in limited space.

Looking to find a 1980's pin that has one or two ramps, a good set of pop bumpers, drop targets, a spinner or two, a kick out hole, and some good music and sounds. Also would like to have at least one of the following features: up-post, kicker lane, detour gate, plunger return. Not really interested in a DMD so that leaves me with finding an alpha-numeric. It also needs to have a great theme and back glass art. Overall I'm looking for a more of a modern electronic pin that plays more like a classic EM.

There are two pins that do fit these criteria that I do really like. The Data East Secret Service and the Bally Atlantis. I would like some suggestions on other pins out there that may be similar and have the features I'm looking for.

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do live in Hawaii and the cost of shipping a pin here will be just as much as the pin itself. That's why I need to do a lot of research to make sure the game will be exactly what I want. That's why I'm asking my fellow pinsiders for some help and suggestions.

Thanks in advance!!

#2 10 years ago

Pinbot!
Has most of your wants, space theme fits yor others, visor opens, multiball, and flashing topper.
What's not to love?

#3 10 years ago

Laser War has most of those, plus it's a good game and dirt cheap.

#4 10 years ago

I have to say we have owned or own all 3 pins talked about above and all are great fun. Pin-Bot is my all time favorite machines, and both Secret Service and Laser War are way under valued so I don't think you could miss with any of those 3 as far as good choices.

You should be able to find a nice Laser War or Secret Service for under $1000 and a nice Pin-Bot in the $1250 to $1500 range. If I had to pick one it would be Pin-Bot but like I said above all 3 are good machines.

#5 10 years ago

I'm a fan of Pinbot as well. That's one that has a relatively simple ruleset (like EM machines) but does have some of the bells and whistles that you are looking for.

#6 10 years ago

Flash Gordon or Elektra.

#7 10 years ago

Consider black knight? Three ramps..mini playfield..multi ball....magna save....spinner...horseshoe...drops............a true masterpiece!

IMG_20130707_153351.jpgIMG_20130707_153351.jpg

#8 10 years ago

Black Knight is awesome. Although no ramps, I would also suggest Genie, Gorgar, Paragon, Future Spa, and Frontier.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Black Knight is awesome. Although no ramps, I would also suggest Genie, Gorgar, Paragon, Future Spa, and Frontier.

Three ramps on black knight...although small ones to mini playfield

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Pinbot!
Has most of your wants, space theme fits yor others, visor opens, multiball, and flashing topper.
What's not to love?

Quoted from dmklunk:

I'm a fan of Pinbot as well. That's one that has a relatively simple ruleset (like EM machines) but does have some of the bells and whistles that you are looking for.

I've checked out Pinbot and I really don't like it at all. Does not have that old school feel. No roll over lanes feeding the pop bumpers, playfield basically separated into two halfs which disrupts the ball flow. Pretty much has gameplay that is exactly the opposite of what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestions but sorry.

Quoted from cosmokramer:

Consider black knight? Three ramps..mini playfield..multi ball....magna save....spinner...horseshoe...drops............a true masterpiece!

Quoted from cosmokramer:

Three ramps on black knight...although small ones to mini playfield

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Black Knight is awesome.

Checked it out. Only one pop bumper?! I don't think that will work. Like I mentioned I like the "old school" gameplay feel and that pretty much means you need to have a couple of rollover lanes feeding the pop bumpers plus a couple of good shots available to get the ball back up to the top of the playfield.

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Although no ramps, I would also suggest Genie, Gorgar, Paragon, Future Spa, and Frontier.

Yes these are pretty good but I'm really looking to have at least one ramp. That seems to have been the next advance in pinball and I need a game that represents that advancement.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Flash Gordon or Elektra.

Don't really like the second level mini playfield concept. Again I'm more partial to a standard old school playfield with just an addition of a ramp or two.

I did just find another pin that looks promising, a Williams Sorcerer. Old School feel with a ramp and multi-ball. Any thoughts on this Pin?

I really appreciate all the suggestions as I would have not discovered some of these on my own. Sorry for being so particular but again, being in Hawaii, choosing the right pin and then shipping it here is not an easy thing to do. Please keep the ideas and suggestions coming. I know the grail pin is out there for me somewhere - but I must choose wisely!!

#11 10 years ago

What about High speed? Has a kickout hole, spinner, ramp, three flippers, 3 pop bumpers that are frequently in play, AWESOME sound, great theme and art package, multiball, kick back (is that what you meant by a kicker lane?) and amazing flow. Its also very 80's if you ask me.

Check out the tutorial that Bowen did:

http://papa.org/blog/2012/06/high-speed-tutorial/

#12 10 years ago

How about EATPM??? Has great ramps, pop bumpers, drop targets, and Elvira.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

What about High Speed? Has a kickout hole, spinner, ramp, three flippers, 3 pop bumpers that are frequently in play, AWESOME sound, great theme and art package, multiball, kick back (is that what you meant by a kicker lane?) and amazing flow. Its also very 80's if you ask me.

Yes I have researched High Speed and I do like it a lot. It has become very popular and a bit more pricey. If I could get one at a good price or if I could find one here in Hawaii I would definitely go for it. If you notice Secret Service has a very similar playfield and that is why I also like it. Plus I really like the spy theme and music that Secret Service offers.

What I really don't like in these two games is how the plunger shot feeds the ball to the center of the play field and not the top to the rollover lanes and pop bumpers as is more standard. But I could live with that!

Please keep 'em coming!!

#14 10 years ago

I suggest that you Check out Sorcerer , fits most of what you listed that you would want . Great game .

#15 10 years ago

How about Mars God of War? It has most of your requirements, and is a great game. Another great game that wasn't mentioned yet is Space Shuttle. Another possibility is Genesis, but you would need to get the alternate backglass.

#16 10 years ago

Space Shuttle!

#17 10 years ago

Xenon maybe?

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

How about EATPM??? Has great ramps, pop bumpers, drop targets, and Elvira.

Just checked out Elvira. Gotta love Elvira and this great theme! Great music too! However the gameplay is too "new school". I have noticed that many of the newer games have gameplay in which you shoot at a target and the ball gets captured. Then there are some flashing lights and sound, you rack up some points, and the ball is released or you are given a new ball. This, to me, is not what pinball is all about. Too much stop and go and wait. To me pinball is all about that ball moving across the field with non stop action and this is what I consider an old school feel.

Thanks for the suggestion as I do love the Elvira theme!!

Quoted from trilogybeer:

I suggest that you Check out Sorcerer , fits most of what you listed that you would want . Great game .

Yes I did mention that I did also look at Sorcerer. I do like the theme and artwork although it is a bit sinister. Gameplay looks great though. I will definitely keep this one in mind also.

#19 10 years ago

I am enjoying Robocop. Just finished fixing it up

#20 10 years ago

I would suggest Earthshaker or Dr Dude. Either one is close to what you're looking for. Both are VERY 80s with good gameplay (IMHO) and not overly gimmicky.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

What about High Speed?

Exactly what I was thinking, minus a few features the OP is looking for. Killer audio/light show & extremely satisfying ramp shot. A true classic.
Grand Lizard "feels" really old school to me, but is missing too many of the requested features I reckon. Same goes for Big Guns.
Taxi DOES have lanes feeding the pops, has 2 banks of drop targets, 2 ramps, kick out hole, but no spinner nor kick-back & gate. Again, killer audio/light show. Imo, the nearly perfect alpha-numeric. Taxi is in demand these days & for good reason.

If you want something that "sort of" feels old school, but approaches a more modern pin without getting there... you want a System11 imho.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I'm also going to through my hat in the ring here and recommend Sorcerer. Dr. Dude is also a good game; Strange Science meets a lot of what you are seeking as well.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Jags:

Yes I did mention that I did also look at Sorcerer. I do like the theme and artwork although it is a bit sinister. Gameplay looks great though. I will definitely keep this one in mind also.

Missed that ,sorry . But yeah its a great game . Check out Firepower II also , That is also a great game that has most of what you are looking for , I personally like the art on Sorcerer much better though .

#24 10 years ago

Pull up pretty much any system 11 machine and take a look at all 30 of them. Pretty much any of them are very good machines.

Sorry to hear you don't like Pin-Bot but it seems like a machine people either love or hate.

#25 10 years ago

Space Shuttle , Swords of Fury , Atlantis looks cool with the sharks on playfield.

#26 10 years ago

Try Blackout. Roll over lanes to 3 pops, three spinner shots for great flow. No ramps or multiball, but lots of that old school feel and a space theme to fit in with the rest.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

Pull up pretty much any system 11 machine and take a look at all 30 of them. Pretty much any of them are very good machines.

http://www.system11.org/

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from zippydapinhead:

Try Blackout. Roll over lanes to 3 pops, three spinner shots for great flow. No ramps or multiball, but lots of that old school feel and a space theme to fit in with the rest.

Yeah that is a good one also .

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from gabegabegabe:

Another great game that wasn't mentioned yet is Space Shuttle.

Quoted from RobT:

Space Shuttle!

OK, I just checked out Space Shuttle. I will need to study it more in depth. I do like the theme as my dad did work for NASA on the Apollo project back in the 60's. It may be lacking a bit in the sounds and the artwork is strong but not very exciting, interesting, or unique.

Another possibility is Genesis,

Genesis just looks a bit too strange for me!

just checked out Xenon. Nice Art and Sounds but maybe a bit too provocative for the family. Also it seems that the gameplay is not all that good.

How about Mars God of War?

Don't really like those double flippers.

Quoted from DougPiranha:

I am enjoying Robocop.

Wow, seems interesting. Never really looked at this one before. Again another one for more study. Don't see any drop targets though, only stand ups. Maybe need to watch the movie again.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

Dr. Dude is also a good game;

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

I would suggest Earthshaker or Dr dude.

Dr. Dude - Don't like those crummy pops. Also seems like a ball goes up, ball goes down type of game.
Earthshaker - No, doesn't seem to shake me up at all!

Again I want to thank you all for the great suggestions. Need to get some diner and then will continue checking out more of your suggestions. Definitely finding some good new possibilities! Keep them coming!

#30 10 years ago

What about a DE Time Machine? it has a couple ramps, pop bumpers, time period accurate music, and even has a chime box that goes off to emulate the old EM machines when you go back in time/ multiball?

#31 10 years ago

SPACE SHUTTLE!! You will not be disappointed!

#32 10 years ago

Flash Gordon, Black Knight, Pin-bot, Taxi.

Good luck in your search.

#33 10 years ago

TAXI

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Jags:

Genesis just looks a bit too strange for me!

I would not discard Genesis. Granted, the regular backglass is ugly. But put an alternative one and you get a great game!

#35 10 years ago

The 80's , hmmm.. the two games that stood out the most to me were Black Knight, and his nephew 2K. Now I know there are many more including Cyclone, but I got a little preocupied in the 80's, so thats all I got.

#36 10 years ago

It must be tough finding pins in HI. Do. You ship them in?

#37 10 years ago

It must be tough finding pins in HI.

No shortage of waves though.

th-3.jpegth-3.jpeg th-4.jpegth-4.jpeg
"A game of skill"

#38 10 years ago

Just left could have brought a pin as a carry on Just not a pinball machine much to big.

I did not see any pinball while I was there but I did not look either. South point big island probably more fishing than tourist trap.

Best of luck in your search

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

It must be tough finding pins in HI. Do. You ship them in?

The three pins I have I bought in Los Angeles 4 years ago when I was spending some time there at my Fiancee's house. We just sold her house a few months ago and I was able to ship my pins here to Hawaii with some of our other stuffs. I did just run a WTB Pinball add in Craigslist and did get a few responses from a couple of guys that basically did the same as I. Brought their games here when they moved here. I've been offered a Future Spa, Superman, Lady Luck, and Fireball Classic. All of them not working. They are all basically 80's pins but none of them have the ramps and the slightly more modern game play that I'm looking for.

Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I did not see any pinball while I was there but I did not look either. South point big island probably more fishing than tourist trap.

Hawaii is pretty much the Black Hole of pinball. Haven't seen any pins anywhere for at least 20 years or more. If you were at South Point on the Big Island you were pretty close to me. I'm in Captain Cook and I run a vacation rental. Check out my place at www.halemalu.com . Too bad you could have spent a few nights here!

Thanks for all the great responses. I will look at all the games you all have mentioned as they deserve my attention since you all were so kind to bring them up. Some of these I had not considered before so it is helping a lot.

Thanks! I will continue shortly.

#40 10 years ago

What? Nobody has said F-14 Tomcat?

#41 10 years ago

Have you looked at Black Knight 2000? It has two sets of rollover lanes, one at the top like you're looking for and one in the middle for the upper -> lower playfield transition, a set of three pop bumpers at the top under the top rollover lanes, a pair of ramps (one is kind of hidden in the back left to go from lower to upper playfield), two sets of drop targets, a kickback (and a magna-save), no spinner but it has a kickout hole and a VUK which is the other route to get a ball back to the upper playfield, plus it has some of the best music of any pinball machine ever (it actually won an award when it was new for best music in a pinball machine to date). The upper playfield is definitely not a 'mini' playfield, since it's the full width of the machine. It's a Steve Ritchie design so flow is king and it plays very fast. Plus instead of a translight, it has an actual mirrored glass backglass.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from Jags:

Looking to find a 1980's pin that has one or two ramps, a good set of pop bumpers, drop targets, a spinner or two, a kick out hole, and some good music and sounds.

Cyclone. Oops, no spinner. Unless you count a ferris wheel.

#43 10 years ago

Banzai Run should be on your radar but possibly a little pricey

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from nhm:

Laser War has most of those, plus it's a good game and dirt cheap.

No drop targets. I really like to have at least one bank of drop targets to shoot down. Also I have noticed that many of these 80's pins have kind of a split top half like this one. Usually some type of "special" on one side and a condensed roll over pop bumper grouping on the other. Don't particularly like that setup.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

Strange Science meets a lot of what you are seeking as well

A bit too strange. Don't like the cluttered artwork and again those one sided clustered pops.

Quoted from SPeD66:

Grand Lizard "feels" really old school to me, but is missing too many of the requested features

Yes no pops and don't like the min I playfield up on top. Has a nice look though.

Quoted from SPeD66:

Same goes for Big Guns.

Yes same thing. No pops.

Quoted from SPeD66:

Taxi is in demand these days & for good reason.

Yes the classic Taxi. Very popular and thus a bit pricey. Don't really like the theme that much. Would consider it if it popped up locally.

Quoted from trilogybeer:

Check out Firepower II also

No drop targets. No music or audio interaction. Just needs more pizazz.

Quoted from RobKnapp:

Swords of Fury

No pops and don't like the mini playfield.

Quoted from zippydapinhead:

Try Blackout. Roll over lanes to 3 pops, three spinner shots for great flow. No ramps or multiball

Quoted from trilogybeer:

Yeah that is a good one also .

Yes no ramps and too similar to what I already have.

Quoted from Rustyck:

What about a DE Time Machine?

Great concept! Poor execution!! Playfield art is way too busy and the music and "radio singers" would drive me nuts after awhile! And why the chimes during multi-ball?? Not much multi-ball back in the 50's!

Quoted from o-din:

Now I know there are many more including Cyclone

Interesting. Hadn't seen this one before. A real retro feel in a modern game. I don't like the theme much. Also, don't like those plastic ramps.

OK, I think I got them all covered that were mentioned so far. Still leaning toward Secret Service or Atlantis and possibly Sorcerer. Need to look more into Space Shuttle and Robocop. And if High Speed or Taxi pop up locally might go for those.

I'm sure there are more suggestions out there so please continue to offer them up. This has really helped me tremendously and I highly appreciate all your help.

Thanks!!

#45 10 years ago

OK some more! Great!!

Quoted from Finrod:

Have you looked at Black Knight 2000?

Pretty cool, I can see why it would win an award. But it's a bit too flashy for me and the rock music is not quite to my taste. I am a musician but I'm more into classical electronic and jazz styles. Also a bit pricey.

Quoted from girloveswaffles:

What? Nobody has said F-14 Tomcat?

Yes this seems to be another one of the classics that everyone likes. But no drops and only one pop. Not quite what I'm looking for.

Quoted from mufcmufc:

Banzai Run should be on your radar but possibly a little pricey

Nice game but not sure I want to deal with the complicated nature of that back box playfield. And like you said it may be pricey.

Thanks again and I'll be watching for more!

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from Jags:

OK, I just checked out Space Shuttle. I will need to study it more in depth. I do like the theme as my dad did work for NASA on the Apollo project back in the 60's. It may be lacking a bit in the sounds

My ass!

#47 10 years ago

I had fun with Police Force when I owned it years ago. Would buy another in a heartbeat. Spinner makes machine gun sounds....what's better than that?

Flippers (2), Pop bumpers (3), Ramps (2), 3-bank standup targets (3), Kick-out holes (3), 2-ball Multiball. A plunger skill shot shoots the ball into the rollunder spinner lane for a random award. The right ramp has a diverter which routes the ball either to the lock area or to a habitrail leading to the left inlane.

#48 10 years ago

Bally Atlantis has everything you are looking for, including the up post.
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=106

#49 10 years ago

I'd go with the best pin of all time:

DINER

Here's what's inside, a very balanced playfield...

1 hole/kicker that starts up a very tricky 2-ball multiball
1 set of E-A-T lanes up top
1 spinner for the inside orbit shot
2 ramps
3 pops
2 sets of drops
1 cellar shot
1 stationary
1 great toy (the coffee cup)
1 skill shot (timed based off flashing lights, and somewhat random based on plunger strength)

Also included: great soundtrack from Chris Granner, a jackpot that you build up during the game, crazy-well implemented theme.

After Diner, I'd go with Black Knight. Currently, those are my favorite 1/2 pins of the 1980's.

Enjoy!
-mof

#50 10 years ago

For someone living on an island in the middle of the Pacific ocean, you are awfully picky about pins!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

2,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-choosing-a-1980s-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.