(Topic ID: 266741)

Need Help Buying Molex Supplies

By Cheeks

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I'm reasonably handy working on my games, but I've never had to do anything with Molex connectors. I have a specific mod I want to incorporate, but I'm not sure the best way to buy supplies for it.

Here's the mod I want to incorporate, which needs a 12 pin .156 connector and a different style 2 pin connector: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-mixing-gi-ocd-and-kbop-mods-issue

Recognizing this may not be the only need I'll have for Molex connectors given my collection, should I just buy the individual parts I need now, or does someone make a decent "kit" with a variety of parts in it for future use?

I saw that Pinball Life has a Molex Kit (https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=umick) but it seems like it only has 1 of the 2 connectors I would need for this mod. Also, given the range of games in my collection, I question whether buying a kit would provide me the variety I might need.

Should I get this kit anyway, or is there some better solution for stocking up on potential future part needs while also getting what I need for this mod?

Thanks for any advice.

#2 3 years ago

Great Plains Electronics G-P-E is the best place to ask imo.

#3 3 years ago

Do not buy the kit, you will run out of certain connectors very quickly. I purchased this kit years ago. Just one suggestion, buy a very nice crimper and punch down tool. They will save you time and headache down the road.

#4 3 years ago

I wouldn't buy the IDC connectors and just get the Molex crimp type.

#5 3 years ago

I recently was making a mod and had to build a harness that connected to an existing plug in the game. Of course I had run out of the connector I needed to do so. I ended up finding a 3D print model online and printed it in PETG (the higher temp stuff)! Works in a pinch, but my point is: don't buy the kit, you will run out.

#6 3 years ago

Buy the longest connectors you can find and cut them with a dremel.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Great Plains Electronics g-p-e is the best place to ask imo.

This

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-buying-molex-supplies?hl=jenniebear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.