Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WP_000552.jpg
#1 11 years ago

So, I just picked up a LW3. Got a good deal on it and I have now gotten everything working mechanically/electronically. I am now in the process of cleaning and replacing broken playfield parts. When I bought the machine I noticed the small rubber post between the right outlane and inlane was missing. What I didn't realize then was that only half of it was missing, the other half is still in the playfield.

So, I need some recommendations on getting this out without destroying my playfield.

Thanks!

[IMG]http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p590/arcade_daley/WP_000552.jpg[/IMG] WP_000552.jpgWP_000552.jpg

#2 11 years ago

I'm not sure of the exact size of the screw end of those posts, but what about something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Hanson-53401-Spiral-Screw-Extractor/dp/B00004YOB2/ref=sr_1_1

They also have some drill bits which you run in reverse to try and work it out

http://www.amazon.com/MAXCRAFT-60406-Screw-Extractor-3-Piece/dp/B003BXOJSM/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2

Or you could drill through it and switch to a threaded base 8^).

#3 11 years ago

titanium drill bit..

drill through, and replace with machine post. nut on bottom...

-jon

#4 11 years ago

Use a pin punch, and drive it through the other side of the playfield
Fill the hole with wood filler, and put a new post in

#5 11 years ago

Sweet guys, thanks for the tips. I think I am liking the titanium bit idea and drilling straight through.

Now I just need to build up the courage to take a power tool to a playfield...

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from daley:

Sweet guys, thanks for the tips. I think I am liking the titanium bit idea and drilling straight through.

Blue tape off around the post, duct tape over that to protect the pf then slot it with a dremel and back it out with a flat blade screwdriver.
Remove tape, replace with new post.

#7 11 years ago

Before you drill through the playfield, make sure nothing is on the back side of it. Also, Sears sells some screw extractors that I have had success with. They are basically a left hand drill bit on one side, then an extractor on the other. If you live in the Northern Virginia Area, I am happy to let you borrow my set.

Tom

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from daley:

i felt the same. just do it slow.

press straight down firmly so it doesn't slip, but no too much that it spins too quick, and know it's going to guide you if you focus it.

as shavings start to fill the hole, blow them out several times thru the process, and wipe the bit.

always reverse the drill to remove it from the wood, and let it carve slightly and cleanly on its way up. makes for a bigger hole to allow the machine screw to fit nicely in the newly formed hole.

trust me. it's the best solution.

-jon - reciprocal nyc

#9 11 years ago

dont forget to tap or punch a starting point in the center of the broken screw. there are specific tools that do it.

i can't think of their names, just the sound they make when they do the job. but someone can prob chime in here.

don't rush it until you have this tool. else you risk slipping all over that thing.

-jon

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Use a pin punch, and drive it through the other side of the playfieldFill the hole with wood filler, and put a new post in.

Listen to John, don't waste your time trying anything else!

Quoted from bigehrl:

dont forget to tap or punch a starting point in the center of the broken screw. there are specific tools that do it.
i can't think of their names, just the sound they make when they do the job. but someone can prob chime in here.

Center punch It will drive it through the playfield before it puts a dent in the screw.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Use a pin punch, and drive it through the other side of the playfield
Fill the hole with wood filler, and put a new post in

The problem I see with this idea is: won't just puching the screw through splinter the bottum of the playfield horribly?

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Blue tape off around the post, duct tape over that to protect the pf

Good advice regardless of the method used, thanks.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from daley:

Good advice regardless of the method used, thanks.

I can't see from the pic if there is a bit of the post sticking up or not, if there is slotting it is the way to go, if not just punch it through, the bottom of the punch should look like this (<.
If there is room underneath use a machine thread post, nut and washer or a tnut if there isn't.
If it is broken off down in the PF chances are you won't get a drill to stay centered and you will mung the pf.
Listen to John on this one and punch it through, it may splinter the bottom a bit but an easy repair compared to off centering and munging the top of the PF.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from daley:

The problem I see with this idea is: won't just puching the screw through splinter the bottum of the playfield horribly?

First thing I thought of.
I'd stick with the screw extractor first, try drilling it out second, and the punching it out only as a last resort.
And if you do drill thru / punch it out, do like bigehrl suggested and replace it with a machine post and
T-nut.

#15 11 years ago

when i used this fix on my getaway lane divider post...

the center punch basically created a small pin hole in the center of the broken-off screw, giving the drill bit a good guide.

i didn't experience it actually 'pushing' the metal down further into the pf so much.

-jon

2 weeks later
#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Cam:

Listen to John, don't waste your time trying anything else!

Center punch It will drive it through the playfield before it puts a dent in the screw.

Figured I would go ahead and update on how this went.

I went ahead and tried the center punch method. I had to hit quite a few times, and the center punch definitely made a dent in the post(in fact it split the embedded post in half), but it did come through the playfield pretty cleanly. I then drilled the existing hole a little bigger to allow for the 'through playfield' replacement post, installed a t-nut, and screwed in the new post.

All-in-all relatively painless. Thanks for all the advice!

#17 11 years ago

Thanks for posting the resolution

Tom

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

3,800 (OBO)
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

3,377 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-broken-off-post-in-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.