Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hi All. I have a BDK that doesnt show any errors on startup or testing, but every 2-3 games the ball doesnt launch successfully and then sometimes 2 will come up. Also, sometimes the kicker for the launch wont get the ball out. I mostly worried about getting the ball into the shooter lane. Any ideas why this would happen? Is this typical? How do I test for problems when it seems like the majority of time there are no issues and everything seems strong? Thanks for the help all.
jimmy

#2 8 years ago

Reseat connectors at the trough. Stern is notorious for loose trough connections, especially if you have a shaker.

Also, ensure the auto launcher and plunger tip are centered on the ball. Remove and reseat the plunger assembly if necessary. The good news is that these things are usually easily fixable.

#3 8 years ago

The plunger is centered but please forgive me: what is the trough connector? Really want to get this working 100% but I'm still a newbie. Thanks so much!!

#4 8 years ago

The trough is what holds your balls. Pull and reseat all of the connections. If you have a shaker, this is likely the culprit if it's spitting out 2 balls.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#5 8 years ago

Finally, make sure the rubber plunger tip isn't touching the ball when it's in the shooter lane. This will cause a weak auto plunge.

#6 8 years ago

This happens on every Stern game. It's the ball trough connectors.

If you want to get fancy, replace the existing IDC connectors with Molex connectors and you probably won't have this issue again. Or, you can just take off the connectors and solder the wires directly (although this is probably harder dexterity-wise than replacing the connectors).

Post another message if you want more info on how to do either of those.

(But as said above, it'll probably work to just reseat them. I've even rubber banded them tight so they don't loosen. Not as good of a long term solution as either of my above suggestions.)

#7 8 years ago

Thanks to you both. Would that also cause a weak auto- kick out? I do have a shaker that I mounted a couple of weeks ago. Ill reseat all these this weekend. The zero-then-two balls is one issue, the other was a weak auto kick after a drain or extra ball. Thanks again for the help.

jimmy

#8 8 years ago

Upload a picture of your shooter lane with a ball in it. Your auto launcher may be crooked.

#9 8 years ago

at work but will do tonight/tomorrow. Thanks again.

jimmy

#10 8 years ago

Here are the pics. They were properly seated and soldered. At this point maybe a weak vcu? Let me know what y'all think. Thanks again.
Jimmy
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

#11 8 years ago

Check the wire on the shooter lane switch. That happened with my Avengers. It eventually just broke & the problem was more obvious.

#12 8 years ago

Wire looked fine. It launches but sometimes ball doesn't go out. May try widening opening a bit. More thoughts?

#13 8 years ago

Upload a picture from the top that shows the ball in the shooter lane. This will show if the auto launcher is centered and how far the plunger tip is located from the ball.

#14 8 years ago

Something just happened to me last week and I thought it might be worth mentioning. Checking plunger and autolaunhcer alignment is important. You may want to check to see if the little blue rubber piece on the coil that fires you're auto launcher is broken. Had a similar issue with BDK and when the machine was trying to launch two balls, but blue rubber piece broke/cracked and my auto launcher sometimes didn't have much power to it. It wasn't obvious until I manually pushed the coil up and down and the cracked piece fell off.

#15 8 years ago

Here's a pic with a ball loaded. There is a lot of play in the auto plunger. Also seems the ball isn't coming out of the chute cleanly. I'll keep tinkering and keep the thoughts coming. May just be an alignment issue. Thanks.image.jpegimage.jpeg

#16 8 years ago

I think you're looking at the wrong thing. Your photos focus on the three black ball through switches. The opto connectors are those white connectors. One side of the optos has a 3 pin connector, and the other side is 2 connectors.

Your comment said: "They were properly seated and soldered".

You can't just visually tell if something is seated properly. You need to pull the connector off, and then just push it back into place. That's what "re-seating" is. Those white IDC connectors are flakey...even on new games. They are for the optos, one which tells if there is a ball ready to be ejected, and another, higher one which tells if a ball is balanced halfway up (ie "jammed").

When a ball is not jammed, the opto shines all the way through. If a ball is jammed, it blocks the opto, and the game knows to try and kick it out into the shooter lane. If the connector loses connection, then the opto does not shine through, and it thinks a ball is jammed, so it tries to kick it out.

So, if the connector is not secure, it will kick out a ball at the start of a ball, then think one is jammed, and then kick out another...and you end up with two balls in the trough.

Re-seat the white connectors by taking them off and putting them back on. This takes 5 seconds to do by hand. In my experience, this will always be a problem until you get rid of the white IDC connectors by soldering the wires directly, or by switching to molex connectors. But for now, you can just reach under and re-seat them to fix the problem of 2 balls in the trough.

#17 8 years ago

Thanks. Very helpful. Will try that first thing in the morning. Much to learn. Thanks everyone. Will post back if it doesn't work.

Jimmy

#18 8 years ago

So I reseated the connectors. Haven't had the two ball problem but still have the auto launch issue where it doesn't always send the ball out hard enough. Seems to be aligned but is too weak about 15% of the time. Any ideas?

#19 8 years ago

Perform a coil test and watch the auto launcher. If it's slow or sluggish, check for flaky connections or anything getting caught on the launcher.

#20 8 years ago

Watch the ball go into the trough. I've seen it happen where the machine isn't leveled properly (too flat) the ball goes into the shooter lane, bounces up a bit and the launch is hitting it before it's up against it.

#21 8 years ago

Have you replaced the coil sleeve on the auto-plunger? To do this, you take the coil off (by removing the nuts in the middle of its bracket) and then take out the plastic sleeve that goes through the middle of the coil, and replace it.

If it's dirty, the plunger can get slowed by the dirt as it gets pulled through. It's also possible the plunger itself needs to be replaced if it's all beat up.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyapple:

Here's a pic with a ball loaded. There is a lot of play in the auto plunger. Also seems the ball isn't coming out of the chute cleanly. I'll keep tinkering and keep the thoughts coming. May just be an alignment issue. Thanks.image.jpeg

on my DE tmnt the autoplunger wouldnt have enough punch sometimes
it turned out to be the rollover in front of the plunger the one you see on your picture

the ball had launched from the ball out against the rollover switch and it warped a little
when the autoplunger launched the ball the rolover switch klicks but then rapidly clicks again so autoplunger losts power

bended rollover a little and the problem was fixed

maybe this is your problem to???

good luck

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Folsom, CA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-batman-dark-knight-ball-launch-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.