• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RayJ
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hello,
I recently purchased a Bally Air Aces game that was working but after playing I noticed had quite a few issues.
While I played, I tried to document as many of the issues as I could before making an attempt to try and fix any since I thought someone who could provide assistance might recognize that some of the issues were related and a single "fix" would solve several issues.
So, here is my original list of issues:
1. At initial game start Ball in Play advances to 2 if ball is in Collect Bonus Kick-out hole.
If ball is in plunger lane when game start button pushed Ball in Play remains at 1.
Potential short across Collect Bonus Kick-out hole?
2. Score advances 10 at beginning of each ball.
3. Pop Bumper (When not lit), Slingshots, others result in no score advance.
No 10 score or chime during game play.
No perceptible 100 score during game play.
Although score will indicate other than XXX500 or XXX000.
4. Pop Bumpers do not alternate lighting/scoring.
5. Lit Double Bonus Kick-out Hole does not reset after end of ball in play/collect bonus.
6. Lit Extra Ball Kick-out Hole does not reset after end of ball in play/collect bonus.
7. Lit Special Lane does not reset after end of ball in play/collect bonus.
8. Double Bonus Benefit does not reset after end of ball in play/collect bonus.
9. Same Player Shoots Again does not reset after end of ball in play/collect bonus.
5-through 9 occurs in both single player and multiple player modes
10. Right Pop Bumper sometimes gives Extra Ball without landing ball in Extra Ball Kick-out Hole.
Potential short across Pop bumper and Kick-out hole?
11. Right Lower “Hi Flyer” Slingshot sticks/continues/vibrates (Now scoring multiples of 10) after initial contact.
12. Player 4 score reels do not advance past 09990; rollover to 000000.
13. Some Bonus Lamp covers are loose and not flush with playing surface causing some redirection of ball path.

After playing the game for a few days, the game just stopped. The coin panel lights were lit, but the playfield lights and all other functions no longer were working. I opened the coin mechanism door and lifted the playfield and discovered the wring bundle to the coin door was crimped and the fuse looked burned out so I replaced the fuse and re-routed the wiring harness and all was well, except for the above.
Yesterday, I noticed the tabs behind the drop targets were in from of the rubbers instead of behind, so I decided to remove the glass and re-orient them behind the rubbers. At the same time I noticed that several of the lamps were either not lit at all or flickering dimly. I tightened several and on some others they seemed to need some adjustment to maintain a lighted condition. I wrapped rubber bands around the lamps to keep them centered in their individual holes and that seemed to help. I also noticed that the gaps between all of the tabs varied significantly. I adjusted several that seemed to be either very far apart or touching while also attempting to center within their respective holes in the playfield.
Voila!
Issues 1-9 are magically solved and seem to be working correctly.
WooHoo!
Unfortunately, I still need to deal with issues 10 - 13.
Can anyone please provide advice on how to investigate, adjust, or remedy the issues I am experiencing with this machine?

In addition, can someone please provide instructions on how to make adjustments to the game characteristics?
14. How do you adjust the score required for replay?
15. How do you adjust the number of games per quarter?
16. How do you adjust the number of balls per game?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

#2 5 years ago

Post this in the EM Tech section. You will get a better response. I have an Air Aces, I'll try to help. If issues 1-9 were magically solved, you should go through and check wiring and Jones plug connections.

The manual is available online at the IPDB https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=28

11, Replace rubber or adjust switch blades behind the rubber
12, Clean score reels and adjust switches (carefully)
13, Glue inserts back in at proper height to the playfield

14-16, read the manual you download from IPDB

17 - Read around this forum and Vid's guides.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

Post this in the EM Tech section. You will get a better response. I have an Air Aces, I'll try to help. If issues 1-9 were magically solved, you should go through and check wiring and Jones plug connections.
The manual is available online at the IPDB https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=28
11, Replace rubber or adjust switch blades behind the rubber
12, Clean score reels and adjust switches (carefully)
13, Glue inserts back in at proper height to the playfield
14-16, read the manual you download from IPDB
17 - Read around this forum and Vid's guides.

Skidave, Thanks for the guidance.
Since I am a novice at this, In order to post in the EM Tech section, do I need to repost separately, or am I able to re-categorize this existing post?
I have looked previously at the link you provided, but although there is a wiring schematic and some cards for the apron, there is no "manual."
Or at least not what I would consider one , by my novice definition. I actually have the full size original wiring diagram/schematic that I can roll out.
I did go back through and adjusted all of the switch blades behind each 10 point rubber and they are all working correctly, scoring correctly and fixing the #11. Right Lower Slingshot repeating issue. With respect to #12 and the 10,000 score reel not turning over, Do you know or do you think this is a mechanical issue in which the 1,000 reel is just not pulling/pushing the 10,000 reel over, or do you think it is an electrical signal not getting through? I haven't taken the back cover off to investigate this issue yet, I am hoping it is a safe assumption that this would be where the problem exists regardless of whether it was electrical or mechanical.
Thanks again for taking the time to help.

#4 5 years ago

Just start a new post with your exact issues. Looks like most are resolved.

You have a mechanical issue or a switch blade for that reel. There is a lot info about the reels and how to clean and adjust the switch blades. You can always reference another score reel to make sure the switch blades are gapped and positioned correctly.

Careful, this is an addicting hobby!

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

Careful, this is an addicting hobby!

Skidave,
You are correct in that assessment.
I purchased this game to give to myself as a Christmas gift because it was the game at the local laundromat I played while in Jr High School during the bicentennial....1976!
I remember playing for hours collecting quarters from challengers and having my high score on the menu board of the snack bar they had there.
A long time ago, but having this game in my house and being able to play it after work brings back memories of my "pinball greatness."
Thanks again for the advice.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-bally-air-aces-issues-anomalies?hl=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.