pasted_image (resized).png
Atlantis E relay 2 (resized).jpg
52AE5EDF-ED34-436B-B59F-43373C9F5777 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Atlantis rollover lights (resized).jpg
Atlantis C E relays (resized).jpg
IMG_9567 (resized).jpg
IMG_9566 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikeo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

This one has me stumped to no end. I've been chasing this all week.

This is a decent condition Atlantis I just acquired and have gone through from top to bottom. There were many common issues I encountered going though it. All the score reels needed some attention. The credit unit was maladjusted to institute free play, the ball in play unit would not advance reliably, etc. I even found a few more defects that needed fixing after I went through everything, each time thinking I may have found the issue.

Symptoms during 5 ball play.
1. Top center rollover will score 3000 and an advance when not lit. It isn't constant. Sometimes it will score only 500 like it is supposed to.
2, Left and right top rollover lanes score correctly when lit and when not lit.
3. Center stand up will score 3000 and an advance when not lit some times. This only happens when one is turned on and the lit target is rotating between the three targets.
4. Center stand up scores fine when none of the stand ups are lit for 3000 and advance.

Symptoms during 3 ball play.
1. Center lane scores only 500 whether lit or unlit.
2. Top and center stand up score 3000 and advance when not lit when standups are lit.
3. Stand up targets all score 500 correctly when none are lit for 3000 and advance.

Diagnostics I've been through.
1. Swapped working head from my keeper Atlantis and the problem stays with the new game.
2. Swapped working playfield from my keeper Atlantis and the problem stays with the new game.

I'm leaning towards testing the main relayboard of my keeper Atlantis in this new atlantis to see if any of the defects stay with the new head and playfield.

Next, assuming I can isolate the defects to the main relay board, is to put the two main relay boards together on a table and compare, wire by wire, any differences between them. It really feels like I may have stumbled on a game that came from the factory with defects, maybe a wire or two on the wrong tabs.

Here are a couple of shots of relevant parts of the schematics. The E relay is the 3000 and Advance score relay. The P relay is what lights and unlights the stand up targets.

Thanks for any advice.

IMG_9566 (resized).JPGIMG_9566 (resized).JPGIMG_9567 (resized).jpgIMG_9567 (resized).jpg
#3 4 years ago

Mark,

Thank you for this guidance.

Yes, the E level cam has one tall post and two short posts. I've been able to validate those switches are clean and set up properly.

I've also scrutinized, cleaned, and adjusted the E relay properly.

I will scrutinize the C relay, motor switches 1A, 1B, and 4C, and look for the proper firing of the E relay tonight and report back here.

Thanks again.

Mike

#4 4 years ago

Here is my progress.

I revisited the C relay, motor switches 1A, 1B, and 4C, and looked for the proper firing of the E relay. All are clean and set up properly.

For the top center lanes:
- The C relay properly pulls in in sync with the E relay when a lit lane is crossed.
- The top center lane still often scores 3000 when not lit.
- I can adjust the switches so that it only scores 500 all of the time but they seem out of proper alignment then.

For the stand up targets:
- The D relay properly pulls in in sync with the E relay when a lit target is hit.
- The center stand up target often scores 3000 when it is not lit for it. This only happens when a stand up is lit.
- Consistently the center target properly scores 500 when a stand up is not lit.

1A, 1B, and 4C are clean and set up properly regarding gap and wipe.

I have been able to follow proper set up and wipe of a switch as a competent guideline for years but, assuming this game is wired correctly, there is more going on at this time. It almost feels like the gap on an involved switch is off throwing off the timing. With the shared logic of the 3E and 4E switches, combined with the C, D, andE relays, it is a confusing circuit to follow, much less troubleshoot.

I put the playfield from my keeper Atlantis in the game as a reference. I'm not changing anything on it with the expectation that the issue lies in the main relay board. That is where my focus continues. My next step later this weekend is to do a detailed comparison of my working main relay board to the problematic relay board.

Again, any advice is appreciated.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

What about that switch? Many of your symptoms could be explained by that Make/Break switch not working properly.

It ohms out properly.

Quoted from MarkG:

Which switches?

The top center rollover switches.

#8 4 years ago

So after comparing to my keeper Atlantis, I found the timing of the 4E switches was slightly different and adjusted the problem game to match the good game. It appears to have corrected the problem.

By timing I mean the alignment of the switch closures and openings as the E level cam pins are actuating them.

Thanks for the guidance. Knowing it was in this area helped a lot.

#9 4 years ago

Mark,

I spoke too soon. I play tested more this morning with no improvement to the condition.

I will block 4C or 1B and report back.

Mike

#10 4 years ago

Blocking 4C provides the following results.

For the top center rollover sometimes it scores 500 points when not lit and sometimes it scores an advance with no point. When lit it always scores an advance but no points.

For the center stand up it experiences the same issues where it will score an advance when another target is lit but no points.

None of the 3000 points score which I assume is expected.

#12 4 years ago

I spent more time with Atlantis last night with no improvement.

Lighting runs properly for all lanes and all stand ups. So that side of things is good.

This may be a stretch but what appears to be occurring is the game may think it is in 3 ball mode when the problems occur. So when the middle lane or middle target are scoring 3000 and an advance I'm getting the impression that that circuit thinks it is in 3 ball mode and a second path is active/lit for both the top lanes and the standup targets.

I have cleaned the 3 to 5 ball adjustment plug and socket and can't see where it can get into 3 ball mode in error for the scoring circuit.

Looking closer at the schematic it is almost as if the 4E switch is shorted both ways.

One question comes to mind regarding this schematic from the photo above. Why are the stand up targets represented by what almost looks like a make break switch? Is it possible for there to be a defect at the specific stand up target that could contribute to this problem?

#14 4 years ago

Mark,

Thank you for your patience.

I found tonight that on 5 ball the center lane would mis score when set up for the left lane to be lit for 3000, with 3E flipped.

Putting it in 3 ball mode I found that the left lane would mis score when 3E was flipped.

The mis scoring is not constant. There will be times where the two noted lanes will score properly. The rest of the lanes score properly all of the time.

I completed the chart and a copy is below.
52AE5EDF-ED34-436B-B59F-43373C9F5777 (resized).jpeg52AE5EDF-ED34-436B-B59F-43373C9F5777 (resized).jpeg

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

If you unplug your game you might be able to find the problem with your meter. Clip the probes onto the blue-white-red and slate-black wires on the 3E switch and put your meter on the lowest resistance setting. When the 3E stack isn't activated you should see resistance of an ohm or less. Then rotate the score motor by hand. When the pin activates the 3E stack the resistance should change to something much higher, probably even open circuit. Try that a few times.

If you can find a spot where the 3E stack is active but the resistance is still low, leave the motor there and poke around the switch to see if you can make the resistance jump up to the high value. That might give you a hint where the intermittent short is.

I was thinking the same thing here and have been puzzled that this switch, visually, is setup properly. Adequate wipe when closed and visibly open when actuated. I actually tore the switch stack apart this morning, pulling the switch blades and spacers off the sleeves, to see if there was any kind of internal defect. I could see someone before me had tried adjusting blades here and deformed a few of the blades at their base. I straightened these while I had it apart and had to fine tune the whole stack again but that was straightforward. The same issues remain.

I've been wondering if I have a short somewhere in the harness that could possibly create this condition. I'll check resistance readings and report back here.

#17 4 years ago

Testing this switch I get full continuity or full open.

Any thoughts on the next step?

#19 4 years ago

I desoldered the slate-black wire and the 3000 scoring went away for center and right lane. I assume this is the same as when I blocked this 3E switch with paper previously.

Here is where it gets weirder. For the standups when lit, the center target will often score 3000 when the upper target is lit. The weird part is that the center target scores one 100 and two 1000 sometimes when the lower target is lit for a total of 2100.

I think I need an exorcist.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Continuity isn't a reliable measurement in many EM circuits. Did you get an ohm of resistance or less?

I may not be interpreting your request correctly here. My meter has settings where the lowest range is 200 ohms. This also happens to be the setting it uses for continuity checks. So when the switch is open it reads a "1". When it is closed it reads 0.3 or 0.4.

I have another cheapy Radio Shack self ranging digital multimeter that has a setting separate from Ohms for continuity. I will retest the switch with it for resistance and see if I get different readings.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

I don't follow this. The center target sometimes scores 2100 when the lower target is lit (not hit)?

Yes, I mistyped that. At least my phone mistyped it. It should read lit, not hit. When the lower stand up target was lit, the center stand up target would sometimes score a single 100 and then two 1000s for a total of 2100 points.

2 months later
#24 4 years ago

I'm writing to follow up with the solution that evolved to correct the condition I had.

Recently I was able to enlist the help of an old timer here and he enlightened me to the need for the timing between the 3E switch staying engaged until the score motor run switch deactivated. We adjusted the actuator leaf at 3E to stay engaged longer and that appears to have addressed the issue. Definitely an odd nuance that surfaced even though the discrete set up nature of the involved switches appeared correct.

Thank you, Mark, for your help on this issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
$ 12.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikeo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-atlantis-not-scoring-correctly?tu=mikeo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.