(Topic ID: 204766)

Need help !!! (Gorgar with no displays working)

By lastsojourner

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hello everyone , new here. I hate that my first interaction here is for help but it is unavoidable. Got a Gorgar pin awhile back from a guy that let a so called electrician into the back box with a meter. The only problem he was having was players 3,4 were not lit otherwise game ran fine. After a flash and puff of smoke the so called electrician promptly said he couldn't help. Hence I acquired the game with no displays lit, a few playfield lights on and no attract. I'm a machinist by trade so prints are no biggy for me and I've done my share of electrical work so replaced some burnt resisters and transistors right off. I knew this wouldn't solve my problem but it needed to be done. I've tried to trace the former guys smoke trail but don't see any logical burnt spots or damage. But I deduced that the first place he woulda checked was the transformer. I know from reading hundreds of posts and responses and everybody's how to's that the transformer usually doesn't go bad. But I'm getting meter readings that are either double what they should be or half what they should be. As an example, on pin 9 of IJ2 that should be 12vac unregulated I'm getting 23.3 vac. The voltages at the power board fuses are crazy too. Any responses and\or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

#2 6 years ago

Are you measuring AC hot to common ? Hot to ground don't work.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

I wouldn't worry about the transformer. You should start by checking all the fuses to make sure there good and the right value. That might get some things working so you can eliminate that. Next check the power supply to make sure it's putting out the right voltages.

#4 6 years ago

Thanx for responding so quick guys... I checked all fuses first by pulling them out and they were OK ... I was checking to ground strap but will now check to common, thank you all once again !!!

#5 6 years ago

I would check fuses with DMM as well not just visual check.

#6 6 years ago

Thanx again guys for all your help... I always check fuses with my meter as I have been fooled before with a fuse being detached at the cap... I checked all wiring to the transformer and all is well according to the meter. I checked the 3 fuse bottom holder on the power board that runs directly from the transformer to common which should read from left to right 6.3vac, 19vac, and 19vac. They read 1.5vac, 5.2vac, and 8.9vac. Something surely seems fishy with the transformer, am I wrong. I don't want to absess over the transformer but if it walks and quacks like a duck, usually its a duck know what I mean. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanx again guys.

#7 6 years ago

Thanx to all who responded to my pleas for help but i must now apologize to them for taking up their time as in reading further i realized that all the guidance I needed is here already in previous posts on pinside. Where , how to check voltages has already been addressed by ringmaster and others as far back as 4 years ago . I just didn't check well enough. So I beg your pardon fellow members and bib you ado for now, and apologies and thanx again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.