(Topic ID: 253514)

Need help! 1st table

By ApostateDude

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Latch Bar (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Just bought my first table, Gorgar. It came assembled and I need to disassemble to get it in my basement. I can't get the backglass off! The lock turns, makes a clunk noise, and the backglass is then able to be lifted a little bit, but not enough to remove. I'm not even sure what the locking mechanism looks like, but thinking it's a bar across the top. The left side of backglass lifts more than the right. I've tried the lock many, many times and am able to get a putty knife a little ways into small gap on right side but to no avail. I'm new to Pinside, but have heard it's a great community for us enthusiasts. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

Many will drill the lock if they have issues opening. That will not, of course, fix a broken mechanism. FYI- new lock cores are cheap and widely available.

I believe you are correct and that gorgar has a mech that basically is a long metal bar that rotates over the backglass with the key turn. Others that own this game can confirm- I am going with what I see on my games of similar era.

Good luck. Go SLOW. Its your first game and you will be much happier when things resolve without needing repair.

#3 4 years ago

Wanted to add- do not indiscriminately spray lubricant into the side. The backglass will get hit and can be permanently damaged!!!

You can lubricate but gently if there is such a thing.

#4 4 years ago

A lot of times, if the lock mechanism is working (and if there is a difference between how much you can move the glass when it is locked or not), the top channel on the glass has come loose and is jamming things up. When you look at the glass, you will see the lift channel at the bottom, and then side channels, and a top channel. These basically clip over the edge of the glass. Have a really close look at them all, especially at the top.

#5 4 years ago

at around 6:30 toddtuckey removes this glass (but didn't have any trouble with the lock )

#6 4 years ago

I have had this same issue a couple of times. Here is what you do:

First: be incredibly gentle. This should go without saying, but seriously...be careful.

Second: press gently on the glass and move it upwards in the side that isn't going up as much. Try this on the top area first, and then on the sides.

Third: scoot the back glass over to the side as much as possible and then gently lift it up.

It likely isn't the lock or bar. It is most likely the trim that isn't fitting well, tape that was added improperly, or the wrong size/type of trim. You just have to figure out how to jiggle it and get it loose.
    Drilling it or using a lubricant probably won't help at all.

#7 4 years ago

First tip. It’s not a table. It’s a pinball machine

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from ApostateDude:

Just bought my first table, Gorgar. It came assembled and I need to disassemble to get it in my basement. I can't get the backglass off! The lock turns, makes a clunk noise, and the backglass is then able to be lifted a little bit, but not enough to remove. I'm not even sure what the locking mechanism looks like, but thinking it's a bar across the top. The left side of backglass lifts more than the right. I've tried the lock many, many times and am able to get a putty knife a little ways into small gap on right side but to no avail. I'm new to Pinside, but have heard it's a great community for us enthusiasts. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Coincedentally, I ran into a GorGar with the same problem once. The screw that attached latch bar to the lock barrel was loose (Found this after I got the glass loose).
    If you can get a thin piece of stiff wire (say like a piano wire), put a short 90 degree bend on the end of it about a 1/4" long.
    Unplug the game.
    With a flashlight, point the light through the grill at the top back of the back box on the lock side. Gently feed the hooked end of the wire until it reaches the underside of the latch assembly (Not the bar that come off the lock barrel.
    Latch Bar (resized).jpgLatch Bar (resized).jpg

You want to get the bar that runs under the top of the back box interior). Be careful to not go to far forward and hit any wiring or the back of the back glass. Hook the bar and gently pull it back. The back glass should lift out. If the bar doesn't move or move far enough don't try to force it. It's not worth injuring yourself or damaging the game.

#9 4 years ago

Thanks! I'll try that!

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I have had this same issue a couple of times. Here is what you do:
    First: be incredibly gentle. This should go without saying, but seriously...be careful.
    Second: press gently on the glass and move it upwards in the side that isn't going up as much. Try this on the top area first, and then on the sides.
    Third: scoot the back glass over to the side as much as possible and then gently lift it up.
    It likely isn't the lock or bar. It is most likely the trim that isn't fitting well, tape that was added improperly, or the wrong size/type of trim. You just have to figure out how to jiggle it and get it loose.
    Drilling it or using a lubricant probably won't help at all.

Thank you! I'll try it!

1 month later
    #12 4 years ago

Thank you all for the tips, much appreciated! I tried them all, made slight progress but nothing worked. I did finally get it off, and must give credit to Joe Lyon (YouTube's Joe's Classic Arcade games) for the solution. The backbox had sagged down slightly on right side. I very carefully shaved off little pieces of the bottom trim piece on backbox (which I can sand and repaint), painstaking and slow but it allowed enough clearance to get the backglass off safely. Pinside forum and it's contributors very cool, thank you all!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-1st-table and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.