You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

player motor back (resized).jpg
ball in play contacts (resized).jpg
player motor 1 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I have a 1975 gottlieb soccer (2 player). It was my grandfathers. The game always worked perfect but for some reason now, it will not go through the balls. it resets after every ball. I know there are a million things that may cause an issue, but I was wondering if anyone could give me any guidance on where to begin.

Thank you

#2 7 years ago

When you said it resets after each ball, what exactly do you mean? It goes to game over, or actually resets the machine (like when starting a game, reels at 0), or something else?

#3 7 years ago

its not resetting the score, it wont go through the balls, it never reaches the game over. after the 5th ball sometimes it resets the scores

#4 7 years ago

Maybe you can post a video?

#5 7 years ago

i took a video, thank you for taking the time to help.

2 weeks later
#6 7 years ago

Did you make any progress? Until a more expert pinsider chimes in, I can try to help.

It looks like the player unit it is advancing from ball 1-5 ok (I'd ignore the intermittent/non-working ball# lights for now). It seems to get fouled up at the last ball or game over stage(s). After you drain ball 5 and collect bonus, it is kicking another ball to shooter lane, advancing the player unit past ball 5, then starting to reset several score reels as part of a new game reset sequence. Then when this ball is played, it is finishing the reset of the score reels for the new game.

I'd see if the last ball relay XB does anything when you drain ball 4. Get to ball 4, then lift playfield and simulate a drain by holding closed the outhole switch from underneath - be ready for the kicker to kick ball 5 to shooter, so watch your fingers. As you do this, watch for activity from the XB relay (among the relays in the control bank with the big reset bar on the bottom of the cab).

I'd do the same when you drain ball 5, but observe for activity from the game over relay QB (also in the control bank).

Any other ideas?

#7 7 years ago

Your issue lies in the player stepper in the back. As far as the lights not lighting, can be quite a few issues. Bad bulbs, bad sockets (most EM sockets can cause bulbs to not illuminate), bad Jones plug connection, dirty stepper pins or rivets.

Check the stepper in the back for the player unit. At the beginning of a game it should start at a home position. Make sure the stepper pins line up directly over a rivet. If it's sitting on a shoulder or slightly off, there are some screws that can be loosened and the round disc adjusted. Make sure the pin bottoms as well as the rivets are cleaned. The pins all have different functions but if you end up on a ball that illuminates the ball in play light, go back and slightly lift up on each pin and while up see which makes the light goes out. That's the pin for the light. Other pin, when it reaches what would be ball 6, should energize the game over relay.

Again the issue is in the player stepper. It seems like yours is advancing correctly, just the stepper is misadjusted or dirty. The bulbs can also be just bad sockets (common).

#8 7 years ago

I concur with the previous post. Just repaired my soccer machine, and after getting the reset sequence to work,(burnt out relay coil in reset bank) it would start, and play ball one continuously. I had to clean the player motor unit, and make sure the pins lined up with the contacts. I also had a relay contact not connecting on relay "O" (outhole).
after fixing all that, it would not advance to fourth ball. What i found was the amusement company had ran it on a three ball setting the whole time it was used. on the player motor, reels 2 and 3,(red on my machine) there were ridges where the cams were cut off, but not smooth with the rest of the Wheel. When it indexed to ball four, it would hang up on where the cam was cut off. I removed and disassembled the player motor and filed the cut off cam spots flat with the rest of the wheel with a nail file, using care to make the wheel smooth so the switch could ride over it and not hang up. now it works perfectly!

#9 7 years ago

here are pics:
picture 1 player motor cams: far left (black) is zero position switch. should be open after reset sequence.player motor 1 (resized).jpgplayer motor 1 (resized).jpg
at this time, picture 2, the third ring of contacts is the ball in play. in pairs, for two players.ball in play contacts (resized).jpgball in play contacts (resized).jpg
when black cam switch is in zero position,(open) the wiper should be on the first contact in the third inner ring. (player one).
Picture three shows the triangle piece used to adjust where the wipers touch the third ring of contacts.player motor back (resized).jpgplayer motor back (resized).jpg
Reset the machine, make sure the zero switch (black cam or far left cam in picture)is opened on the cam. shut off the machine, loosen the three screws on the triangle and set the wiper to rest on the FIRST contact,third inner ring as shown in picture 2. ball in play contacts (resized).jpgball in play contacts (resized).jpgthis should be ball one, player one. tighten down the screws and test run a game!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-guidance-for-1975-gottleib?hl=rusty1187 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.