Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ypurchn
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    F2ADC819-89DE-4BA8-AE61-CE34053524A6 (resized).jpeg
    There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago

I’m not a lawyer but I play one on tv...

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from DngrWillRobinson:

I’m not a lawyer but I play one on tv...

Are you William Shatner?
    LOL!

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from StylesBitchly:

Are you William Shatner?
    LOL!

God, I wish.

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

Was it with a gifted transaction?

This was before the day of gifted transactions but makes no difference to what you claimed. What I quoted from you was that if you withdrew the funds already, paypal couldn't do anything. Which is 100% wrong.

Regardless, a Paypal gifted transaction can still be subject to chargeback as they can simply claim unauthorized transaction, or could be a compromised account/card. You're thinking about this transaction in terms of what paypal's site says and typical transactions between reasonable human beings. There's a different level to things, you're going to want to be very careful.

#55 6 years ago

People are making this into a bigger deal than it is and are probably people that have no experience doing long distance deals. Call the guy on the phone. Feel him out. PayPal friends and family is fine. I dealt in collectible bikes for years and never got burned. These were prewar Schwinns that cost thousands. If you don't do paypal, give him your bank account number and he can deposit money by walking into your bank. Fast, done, money in hand. Postal money orders or wires work also. I need to start selling tin foil hats on this site. I'd make a killing.

#56 6 years ago

Lots of fool proof advice there, good luck!

#57 6 years ago

I’m pretty comfortable with PayPal, but would have my reservations.

I would want a copy of their DL. I would only ship to confirmed Paypal address and only if it matched DL. STI would be safe, but make sure destination address on paperwork is identical to PayPal confirmed. Let the buyer know you will hold up shipping if this doesn’t match.

I prefer paid PayPal transactions when dealing with someone unknown. Avoid friends and family. PayPal will not have your back if shit goes south when they are working for free. They want to get paid too.

Make sure you have lots of well documented photos and a date stamp of some sort...current newspaper or something to prove date of photos.

I would still have reservations why they are purchasing from across the country, unless it’s a rare title or they are in a very remote area.

#58 6 years ago

Where the hell is the OP?

BTW...DON'T DO IT!

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I’m pretty comfortable with PayPal, but would have my reservations.
    I would want a copy of their DL. I would only ship to confirmed Paypal address and only if it matched DL. STI would be safe, but make sure destination address on paperwork is identical to PayPal confirmed. Let the buyer know you will hold up shipping if this doesn’t match.
    I prefer paid PayPal transactions when dealing with someone unknown. Avoid friends and family. PayPal will not have your back if shit goes south when they are working for free. They want to get paid too.
    Make sure you have lots of well documented photos and a date stamp of some sort...current newspaper or something to prove date of photos.
    I would still have reservations why they are purchasing from across the country, unless it’s a rare title or they are in a very remote area.

See, it's fud like this that freaks people out. "avoid friends and family". You like paying fees and giving the buyer, who you are worried about, more protection?

It should be a requirement that you have completed long distance deals before commenting.

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

I need to start selling tin foil hats on this site. I'd make a killing.

No, everybody would be too freaked out about how to pay you for them.

#61 6 years ago

ESCROW.COM or SAFEFUNDS.COM!!!!

Period. End of story.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from Philk:

Regardless, a Paypal gifted transaction can still be subject to chargeback as they can simply claim unauthorized transaction, or could be a compromised account/card. You're thinking about this transaction in terms of what paypal's site says and typical transactions between reasonable human beings. There's a different level to things, you're going to want to be very careful.

Please see post #34.

#63 6 years ago

It was me that contacted him through craigslist. I buy pins all the time, drama free from all over. Pay with paypal f/f and use michelle B. Never ever 1 issue buying or selling, paying or getting paid.

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

See, it's fud like this that freaks people out. "avoid friends and family". You like paying fees and giving the buyer, who you are worried about, more protection?
    It should be a requirement that you have completed long distance deals before commenting.

I bet I've done way more transactions then you. I've used Friends and Family plenty of times too, but OP was asking 100% safe. Nothing is, but your more likely to be defrauded that way and to save a hundred bucks or whatever (split between buyer and seller). If I use F&F with a stolen card to pay you, come cry to me when Paypal reverses the charge and doesn't give you the time of day.

But hey, you can just feel em out over the phone.

#65 6 years ago

In god we trust all others pay cash

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from brainmegaphone:

How is it remotely logical that PayPal would let you keep a “gift” just because you proved you had a delivery receipt. It was a gift you shouldn’t have been shipping anything. Think about this...
    Again - everyone here should read PayPal’s terms. I wouldn’t trust a thing the employee says because that won’t help you when you are out a few thousand.

OK Flip side how would anybody give a GIFT and expect to be able to get it back!!
    what ever.. I'm just glad not everyone is as paranoid as some of you, or I wouldn't have half the machine's I own, since I used pay pal to buy them.
    time to drain this thread...

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from tonycip:

OK Flip side how would anybody give a GIFT and expect to be able to get it back!!
    what ever.. I'm just glad not everyone is as paranoid as some of you, or I wouldn't have half the machine's I own, since I used pay pal to buy them.
    time to drain this thread...

“Dear PayPal someone used my credit card to give a gift I didn’t authorize”. Funds locked up and pissing match begins.

Bottom line - if you violate PayPal’s terms of service and think they will bend over backwards to help you - then good luck.

I like being paranoid. Have I lost a deal or two along the way? Absolutely. But no one has stolen my money.

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from doomid:

It was me that contacted him through craigslist. I buy pins all the time, drama free from all over. Pay with paypal f/f and use michelle B. Never ever 1 issue buying or selling, paying or getting paid.

There ya go.

#69 6 years ago

Well to each his own, I take a reasonable amount of precaution with my transactions, if I still get scammed so be it. There’s a lot more important things in my life then Money. Everything you do has risks, buy the way did you know most car accidents happen within two miles of your home.. You should move: )

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from moonduckie78:

Period. End of story.

Is that really safe? For example, let's say I have a pin that needs some really rare or expensive boards or parts. No problem, I buy the machine you are selling that has all the parts I need, put my money in escrow and wait to get your game. It arrives, I swap out your working parts for my broken parts, refuse the machine, I get my money back and you get your machine back. I now have a working machine for free, and yours is now broken. Does escrow really protect against this scenario?

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from doomid:

Doomid is a straight shooter OP...

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Is that really safe? For example, let's say I have a pin that needs some really rare or expensive boards or parts. No problem, I buy the machine you are selling that has all the parts I need, put my money in escrow and wait to get your game. It arrives, I swap out your working parts for my broken parts, refuse the machine, I get my money back and you get your machine back. I now have a working machine for free, and yours is now broken. Does escrow really protect against this scenario?

Good point!
    Always take lots of photos for proof.

#73 6 years ago

Why risk it at all, wait for a local with cash. If the other buy is real and interested enough to scour all states for a game, they can drive over and meet like a real addict.

#74 6 years ago

I've dealt with doomid a few times. He is pretty well known in SoCal. You should have no problems.

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Where the hell is the OP?
    BTW...DON'T DO IT!

omg,i bursted out laughing,i guess he went with paypal,OUCH!

#76 6 years ago

Following closely as I have a potential buyer in adjoining country wanting to use a cashiers check and STI shipping after payment clears. Reading this thread makes me nervous to say the least.

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from dhard:

In god we trust all others pay cash

You can trust in God, I'll use an Escrow service.

#78 6 years ago

If you are new to the world of pinball collecting, let me offer some respectful advice when it comes to Craigslist pinball sales SPECIFICALLY.

Bottom Line:
    "If you cannot pick the game up from Craigslist, cash and carry, don't buy the game."

1 ) This is not a pinball broker, dealer, or distributor.
    2 ) There is no discussed "warranty" as it applies in this part of the sale world.
    3 )This deal is not shown to be an established collector with contacts.
    4 ) You cannot technically inspect the game, unless you use another collector for appraisal.
    5 ) Escrow does it job, but does not guarantee the QUALITY OF THE GAME for what is being bought, which is not being fully evaluated.

If a seller backpedals with escrow, LEAVE THE DEAL.
    If a seller backpedals from a local pickup offer with cash, LEAVE THE DEAL.
    You do not need this kind of nonsense in your life.
    There will be other identical titles available, unless this is some type of "rare", true HUO, or other type of game.
    Consider temperance of impulse.

Learn from watching the mistakes of others that came before you with significant experience, or take a complete unnecessary risk.
    This principle applies for sellers selling games to unknown buyers as well.
    If a buyer does not want to travel, sell at your risk, or pay consequences in all sorts of ways, including "buyer's remorse" or other problems that are beyond the scope of this response.

Finally, there are NO "gentlemen agreements" in this world when it comes to property, even if you know the seller.
    Another common error.
    Use an PROPER sales invoice, always.
    If a seller backpedals from a signed invoice, LEAVE THE DEAL.
    PM if you require a proper example.

I have never lost money on a pinball purchase in nearly 30 years with this advice.
    This includes long before things like CL and the internet even existed.

Keep flipping,

- TBK

#79 6 years ago

If you accept a gift payment via PayPal, the buyer loses all his protections granted by PayPal. This means if the buyer tries to dispute via PayPal he will probably lose even if he claims his account was hacked.

However, the problem is the funding of the money the buyer used. If the buyer paid via a credit card, he can disputes the payment via the cc company and there will for sure be some story he can tell to win that dispute. Now PayPal will never be out money. If the buyer disputes and the bank takes the money from PayPal, PayPal can and will take the money from you. If the money is not in your PayPal account they will drain your bank account or charge your linked credit card.

In addition, PayPal is not a bank and has no federal regulations. They can lock your account or hold funds anytime they want with really no recourse.

I’d never take PayPal for anything serious.

#80 6 years ago

Anyone ever used Zelle or one of the other quickpayment methods offered by the major banks?

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-fast-advice-on-long-distance-craigslist-sale/page/2?hl=pinostalgia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.