Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider micro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Bought this lovely pin in need of "startup sequence" love. Here is the current issue:

When I power the game on, it instantly fires the replay replay, and coin relay, and those stay on, and never release. This is not a result of pressing the start button, or triggering coin switched. it happens without me doing anything.

The score motors run, and continue to run, which i think is a result of the coin relay staying on.

I also see the reset relay fire (which is a result from the coin relay firing), but it does release and stay down, so that seems normal.

Also, I see evidence that the game is "coining up" multiple players over and over, until i power it off.

It keeps firing, (once a second), and adds a play to the total play meter, briefly fires the coin lockout coil, and steps "up" on the coin stepper, so that it is basically in a 4 player game, but keeps firing and firing after its a 4 player game. The stepper basically maxes at 4 players start, so it fires, but just stays on 4 player game since the stepper itself cannot go any higher.

Any ideas? I am hoping to brainstorm on what to try to get this guy going!

Thanks,

Chris

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Start button contact stuck closed? Check for continuity across it.

Thanks for your reply,

Yeah, I thought the same thing. It really seems like that would be it.

But it seems to check out. No continuity on it, until i press the button.

Also, i tried manually turning the replay credits down to 0, but the problem remains, and it just keeps doing the replay relay. maybe i will temporarily remove the ability for the coin relay to fire from the replay relay, and see what is what from that.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Try putting a piece of electrical tape or something between the contacts of the hold switch on the coin relay

I put a piece of paper between the switch on the replay relay that fires the coin relay.

Now only the replay relay is locked on, (and it is NOT hitting the coin relay, thus not resetting the and otherwise, the AUTO-Start problem went away).

So i am pretty sure that my issue #1 is that this relay is locked on when power is applied. Not sure why yet.

In this setup (with the replay relay switch paper disallowing the coin relay to fire), i tried manually hitting the coin relay, and that started the "endless motor / total play increase" symptoms from above.

I'll try your suggestion now.

#6 6 years ago

Actually, what I did instead is put tape on the HOLD switch on the replay relay, as well as the relay to trigger the coin relay. Basically, i took that relay out of everything it does. This setup now makes the game start and work correctly.

I can manually hit the coin relay now, and it adds one player, and only fires the score motor once. It stops just as it should.

So i think my only concern now is figuring out why the replay relay is locked on, despite a good looking reset button (no continuity on its switch).

I'll have to study the manual on possible other ways that this relay can get fired, if any.

#8 6 years ago

When the game is off, neither hold switch is coming on. The replay relay is definitely getting energized somehow. Much progress today. Thanks.

#10 6 years ago

Sorry, when the game is powered on, the replay relay coil activates, and never lets go until i power the game back off.
When i kill power, the coil releases (de-energizes).

So that is definitely the issue. I am just trying to figure out what is causing the coil to activate and stay on.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Even when you've put a piece of paper in the hold switch for that relay?

Correct. I actually blocked all three switches from closing on that replay relay (hold switch for this relay, decrement credit, and triggering coin relay) with tape.

But the relay itself is still fully charged the whole time.

I actually was fine just leaving this as is and playing many games. Rookie move. That relay, being on the whole time, eventually cooked, and is now a dead coil (no resistance on the lugs). I got a nice poof of smoke, and killed a fuse. but thankfully no other issues as a result of that bonehead move.

As it sits, i now have the replay coil out of the game, and have a replacement coming.

With the coil out of the way, i checked the 3 switches on that relay. One of them is ALWAYS ON, despite the switch not closing physically, it reports continuity across the switch. this is the switch to trigger the coin relay.

I then looked at the coin relay, and it too has a switch that is always on (the in hold switch to its relay).

Seems like I am getting closer.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider micro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-em-help-from-yall-on-my-dipsy-doodle?tu=micro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.