Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by gmkalos
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Long time Simpsons fan, brand new pinball enthusiast...I am looking at TSPP for my first home pinball purchase, but I can't help but notice the price discrepancy between "The Pinball Company" and individuals selling their machine privately. Is it really worth the 3K to get that one year warranty, know that you aren't getting a ticking time bomb, and potentially getting a lower-maintenance machine? Can anyone vouch for The Pinball Company? Thanks!

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinpals:

Long time Simpsons fan, brand new pinball enthusiast...I am looking at TSPP for my first home pinball purchase, but I can't help but notice the price discrepancy between "The Pinball Company" and individuals selling their machine privately. Is it really worth the 3K to get that one year warranty, know that you aren't getting a ticking time bomb, and potentially getting a lower-maintenance machine? Can anyone vouch for The Pinball Company? Thanks!

That sounds crazy. Must be a place in an affluent area that takes advantage of people who just get whatever they want and don't want to deal with the day-to-day of maintenance.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinpals:

Is it really worth the 3K to get that one year warranty, know that you aren't getting a ticking time bomb, and potentially getting a lower-maintenance machine?

It is to them.

#4 1 year ago

No, But you really need to do your homework on the game for sale. I do not know a lot about TSPP but there are guys on here that do. Ask for advise on what to look for. It is always best to go to the game's location and play it before buying. I know if you want to buy across state line that you might buy from pics. Do a face time while the owner plays a couple of games.

#5 1 year ago

Youre always going to pay more than a premium price going with a business vs a private collector. There are plenty of honest sellers here that wouldn't knowingly sell you a dud. To be honest I can't think of anything on that machine that would cost even remotely close to 3k if it broke. Even if you put 1k in repairs in, you'd still be 2k up !

Honestly TSPP is a pretty solid title ( before Stern began value engineering every title). I don't recall ever hearing about any major issues. That being said do your homework and know what to look for. The club is a great resource.

Just make sure you really like it before purchaisng. It's easy to get sucked into that " dream theme" mentality especially with your first purchase. The Simpsons is pretty polarizing. People either love it or hate it.

#6 1 year ago

Buying a used pinball machine is a lot like buying a used automobile. Spending more money usually means buying a pin in better condition. If you’re looking for a machine in perfect shape, expect to pay more. Don’t overpay and buy from someone charging too much. Unfortunately most private sellers would never offer a warranty. This pin is almost 14 years old, but expect to pay $6000-7000 one in great condition. Also, put some time into the pin to make sure you want to spend that much money. Have fun!

#7 1 year ago

Thanks everyone!

#8 1 year ago

Might consider starting with a DE Simpsons. Much cheaper, still fun, and simpler to learn on for sure. Plus you don't run the risk of being invested 5k or more if it doesn't hold your interest.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Might consider starting with a DE Simpsons.

That's what I was thinking! I just couldn't put it into words.

#10 1 year ago

I see where you guys are coming from, but TSPP vs DE Simpsons is like comparing apples to turnips. Completely different games. You'll get more replayability with TSPP IMO. If you wind up not liking it you'll have no trouble off loading it in the future either.

#11 1 year ago

Don’t buy the data east, TSPP is way better. I bought one as my first pin I had ever purchased and had to sell it about two years later. I just bought another one because for me it is one of the best games out there.

#12 1 year ago

Prices with retailers are often negotiable. I would get familiar with pricing and make a reasonable offer. You will still pay a lot more from a retailer but may be worth it for your first pin if reputable retailer. They will make sure everything is working, have a warranty, deliver, and maybe offer service after sell.

#13 1 year ago

First rule of buying a pinball. Price is ALWAYS negotiable. Do your home work and set a price your happy with- then go buy the game you want. If more than a few slip through your fingers and seller will not come to your price and the game is no longer available a week or two later... you need to re-evaluate. Else take your time and stick to your guns until your sure your wrong on price.

If your unwilling or otherwise uninterested in fixing a game then a warranty may be of value but figure out what a House call runs for a good tech in your area and decide what it’s worth. Remember- a good tech will be able to diagnose an issue in an hour or two almost always- and generally- the most expensive part is usually less than 100- boards and displays are more and can be several hundred but but if working when purchased are also less likely to break.

Good luck!

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinpals:

Put your location down to let sellers and those who can help you know where you are at. A nice TSPP sells for $4000-$4500.

#15 1 year ago

I've seen a few very nice TSPP machines here on the east coast that are near perfect HUO (Home Use Only) go for around $5,000 and it's worth the extra money, going from a 8.5 to a 10 for $500 is a no brainier. If your not interested in learning about the machine or paying someone else to service it then go for the warranty. There's no rhyme or reason to when these things break down, but generally it's like miles on a car, a HUO pin just has less plays and that typically makes for a more reliable game for pins made within 15 years.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rochester, MN
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Machine - For Sale
Drums, PA
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 1,000.00
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
PinBoss Mods
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 218.00
$ 430.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, NY
£ 80.00
Playfield - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside