(Topic ID: 206131)

Need an Education: Play Field Plastics

By KYBingo

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8645 (resized).JPG
    DSCN8644 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

Working on restoring my first EM Bingo (Bally Laguna Beach). Presently I am working on the play field. My questions are about the plastics that I have removed during the restoration process. I have searched Pinball Resources and Marco Specialties for replacement parts because of discolored, chipped, or missing originals. I have worked to remove all the old wax from the bumper posts and I can reuse them with new mounting screws (some of the originals are bent).

Here are some of my questions to begin my education:
    1. Can the white (in my case discolored) lamp covers be restored/cleaned?
    2. Do I paint the top red?
    3. When looking for roll overs, do I look for the button only or should I be looking for the insert/holders also?
    4. Is there a way to insure that replacement play field inserts and rollover buttons match (yellow not orange, etc)?

Thank you for the education.

DSCN8644 (resized).JPGDSCN8644 (resized).JPG

DSCN8645 (resized).JPGDSCN8645 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

I have not found a way to bring back faded/browned out light covers,
    tried putting them in bleach, no go!
    I did find some locally, I painted the top(s) with red gloss nail polish.
    You want your roll over buttons to move freely in the hole(s).
    I also found, that if I adjusted the contacts under the roll overs
    carefully, the ball(s) would roll over them nicely with out deflecting their
    movement; i.e. the contacts just make contact with a slight/light press!
    As far as the actual roll over buttons, I like the Yellow to be nice and glossy
    as well as the Red!
    Terry K

#3 6 years ago

Am I dreaming thinking I am going to find replacements for these parts?

I have located the opaque red and yellow playfield inserts at multiple suppliers; however, the light covers I think are a rare beast.

Should I paint the roll over buttons? I worked today to get the excess wax off of the bumper posts and will purchase new mounting screws (stainless steel). I began cleaning up the ball shooter assembly. A shopping list is being generated.

#4 6 years ago

Trying putting the plastics that you want to turn white into a strong hydrogen peroxide. The stuff you buy at a drug store will work but it takes way longer. My friend got some from the university that was super strong.

We put everything in a clear container with a lid, filled it with the peroxide, and put it in the sun, shaking it every chance we got. After about a week all of the yellowed/browned plastics were super white. It made the old lane guides look basically the same as the new ones we purchased.

It worked really good on the gottlieb game, and worked fairly well on a Williams but I didn't leave them as long for the Williams.

#5 6 years ago

I bought a parts game of similar vintage to my collection games. It has repaid me several times more than its purchase price. You can go to Joe Shope ( a very nice and fair collector) when you need a specific part, but you will do yourself a favor by having your own parts game. I'd check Craigslist in your area for a ~$100 game.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from KYBingo:

Am I dreaming thinking I am going to find replacements for these parts?
    I have located the opaque red and yellow playfield inserts at multiple suppliers; however, the light covers I think are a rare beast.
    Should I paint the roll over buttons? I worked today to get the excess wax off of the bumper posts and will purchase new mounting screws (stainless steel). I began cleaning up the ball shooter assembly. A shopping list is being generated.

I have bought light covers sets off eBay twice in the last few years. Never thought of them as too rare.

2 weeks later
    #7 6 years ago
    Quoted from KYBingo:

A shopping list is being generated.

This may help: https://bingo.cdyn.com/techno/parts.html

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-an-education-play-field-plastics?hl=kybingo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.