8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

i have an ebd that is giving me fits.
symptoms:
was working fine then stopped ejecting ball into outhole and it will drop the first target. the light next to the solenoid expander is off. it's not the bulb

playfeild gi is ok but none of the feature lights are on
there is a loud buzzing in the speaker that chages when I will top right connector on driver board
sound changes too has a static hiss then goes clear and says 7 ball over and over when I wiggle connector

it has an as-2518-16 driver regulator board in it. the connector on the top right I believe is j3 but it's not labeled on the board. it appeared that there was a loose conection and there were black marks on a few of the pins inside the red connector housing. I changed out the connectors and the headers on the board. same issue. if i wiggle it the connector it does the same thing. then I jumpered pin 13 to pin 25 on the board since theres a jumper on the connector. wiggling has a way smaller impact now but still no dice on the game working. the driver board is pretty hacked up and I think I want to replace it.

so after all this long explanation here is my main question. i have a centaur with a similar board and a n elektra with the same one as centaur. both work but the numbers are different. they are both as-2518-22. i think they are both newer games. does anyone know if they are backwards compatable? one or two of the connectors has more pins on one or the other cant remember which. would like to try a swap before I buy another board if possible. really appreciate you guys and all the help you have given me!

btw I have swapped in working lamp driver and aux lamp driver boards with no luck.

#2 8 years ago

Basic Bally advice - rebuild all of the harness connectors in the head (especially if they are the worthless red idc type) and re-flow the solder on the board connectors if decent, replace if burnt. If you don't, you will be chasing your tail trying to fix issues.

I do this on every single Bally I get 'non-working' and so far it's brought them all back to normal, as long as the battery hasn't leaked all over...

#3 8 years ago

+1

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from cpu-slave:

Basic Bally advice - rebuild all of the harness connectors in the head (especially if they are the worthless red idc type) and re-flow the solder on the board connectors if decent, replace if burnt. If you don't, you will be chasing your tail trying to fix issues.
I do this on every single Bally I get 'non-working' and so far it's brought them all back to normal, as long as the battery hasn't leaked all over...

thanks man. i will do that but i have already rebuilt the one where I have isolated the (a problem) problem to. there are 4 others that have been rebuilt too. I did that one and the one belw it last night. plus one on the lamp driver board and mpu. any idea if I can swap the two different numbered driver boards/ I would like to get it working an d start rebuilding connectors at that point otherwise I am introducing more variables possibly

#5 8 years ago

I believe as long as it's a two flipper driver board they are all interchangeable same with the standard lamp driver. From my experience

#6 8 years ago

I have 14 of these games, and have never had a problem moving SDBs between games. Same goes with LDBs.

#7 8 years ago

retin the solenoid expander under the playfield , i have fixed several over the years with the exact same symptoms

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from cpu-slave:

+1

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Astill:

retin the solenoid expander under the playfield , i have fixed several over the years with the exact same symptoms

already did that. no dice. i think the light needs to be working for the seb board to work. light no worky. gi works but none of the feature lights work

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Validpowerdetect:

I have 14 of these games, and have never had a problem moving SDBs between games. Same goes with LDBs.

wow! cool man. I will give it a shot...

#11 8 years ago

The SEB light is fired by the AUX Lamp Board, so check the connectors there and use the Bally F.O. manual to manually trigger the SCR for the lamp.

#12 8 years ago

did that and swapped in an aux lamp driver board. might try and replace those connectors too but it didnt seem to be over there. could be multiple problems though

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 179.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-an-early-bally-ss-expert and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.