7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by wizzardz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dlbuller.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

So back in May I purchased a machine from a pinsider (It's actually the machine that temporarily took me out of pinball!). It played nice at his house. It played nice at my house for about 3 hours. I started to get Check fuse 106 and 101 errors and the machine started messing up. I did a little troubleshooting and asking for help on here. Seller was nice at first but claims nothing was done other than fixing a few switches (game is CP....switches were under the boxer). I have an e-mail confirming this as well.

Problem was something was being shorted somewhere. I decided I didn't have time for it and wanted to just sell it (along with my other machines). The buyer of all the machines wanted me to fix the machine and then he would buy it. I agreed. I decided to send it to a well known pinball repair tech in the area (turns out the seller has used him before as well).

Well after about 2 months of troubleshooting and 2 CPUs, a rebuilt power driver and countless parts, the problem winds up being under the boxer. The tech cannot believe the "repairs" that were done (I'll have a picture of it soon). Turns out the repair tech knows of the seller and has directed me not to buy ANYTHING from him. The seller keeps insisting that "you had plenty of time to play the game and check anything out...I am not responsible".....Well, I can't exactly tear apart the whole boxer assembly. Like I said, it worked fine there and it worked fine for a while at my house. Is he responsible if he "fixed" under the boxer?....is he responsible even if he didn't...he obviously knew about the mess under the boxer.

Now, I'm in around 800 bucks and its not fixed and the buyer backed out. The CPU is off to rottendog to see if it can be repaired. I'm sorry if I'm jumping around or something isn't clear...I have more details, just don't want to write a novel.

Do I just cut my losses and fix the machine or what??

thanks

#3 7 years ago

Yeah, but I guess I can't help but feel cheated. The seller has told me that he specifically worked on that part of the game, it broke day 1, and the repair tech says he has worked on the sellers machines before and says "he blows them up."

I suppose I should just quit but it just sucks.

#4 7 years ago

Also, not that its really 100 percent related, but kind of in the sense that the seller does not let people know about major issues (which could be common I guess since I'm a new pinball person), he recently sold a machine that fell down a flight of stairs.....I found this out from the pinball tech and saw his craigslist ad. It never mentioned this.

I'm really not trying to bash the seller, he was a really nice guy....just not very honest I feel.

#7 7 years ago

hmm, yeah I guess you could be right. Still stings though. Just hoping he doesn't do it to anybody else. I'm not furious, just sucks....the pinball tech on the other hand is pretty pissed. I guess he has seen this happen before.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from examiner:

but in my opinion it's unreasonable for you to expect any kind of action or compensation from him at this point.

Well, I guess thats where we differ. I grew up being honest and if by ANY chance at all something happened and it MIGHT have been my fault, I would AT LEAST offer to pay half if not all of the repair cost.

But I suppose I'm the minority.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from TZBen:

tweaking and fixing

yep, that would be fine if tweaking and fixing were the case...its not a normal wear and tear issue...the problem is that the seller completely screwed up all of the wiring inside.

Quoted from TZBen:

see if you can find someone who fixed a game with the same problems your having.

The issue isn't finding the problem anymore...the wiring harness is basically bare wire and tape. Was just seeing if I'm in the wrong in thinking the seller is wrong.....but apparently I'm in the wrong for expecting information about repairs (when I asked) and having a somewhat working machine.

If it were something small, that would be fine.

#13 7 years ago

Ok, well I guess I'm just out. Anyway, anybody in the midwest looking to buy machines, specifically in Michigan, feel free to PM me. Not saying the seller is all bad or evil, but based on experience with him and with his/my tech, you might want to triple check his machines. I would feel horrible if you got screwed too.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

I think the point here is that what if the seller told you all he knew? What's to say for the seller that you dropped it unloading it? (not that you did) Just saying too many unknowns.

good point, but the issue with the machine is completely bare wires surrounded by tape shorting the boxer motor.....maybe I'm wrong, but if I dropped the machine, I don't think that would happen.

Quoted from ovfdfireman:

However, as you said you didnt take apart the boxer prior to buying. Maybe he didnt either? Who knows,

I know! He told me he took it apart and changed switches!

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from examiner:

Sorry you ran into the snake.

Me too. I guess I know I'm out...I think I'm trying to get it fixed still....lets hope my 3k champion pub doesn't turn into a 6k one!

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

The bigger issue here is that you spent ($800?!?- Am I reading that right) on a tech/troubleshooting?

That includes the price of a rottendog cpu board, parts, and a power driver rebuild. Yes, 800 so far.

#25 7 years ago

I'm sure I could have figured it out eventually myself....even though I ask a lot of dumb questions, I am a computer engineer by trade. Haven't had a lot of experience with pinball related issues. The problem is I didn't have any time and since I just bought it, wanted it up and running quick. The issue isn't how much I paid the tech. 2/3 of it is for boards and parts.

#27 7 years ago

i purchased the board for 299, had to buy multiple security chips for 60 bucks...he charged me 150 for power supply rebuild. There are a bunch of other things that were needed....thats not the point.

#29 7 years ago

ah sorry you're right 185 for cpu board. regardless, thats not the point of the thread.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

From what I am reading, it sort of is. You have a tech that is badmouthing a seller, swapping out multiple boards, and you are into for $800.00 at this point. Not exactly what I would call profesional (no offense, only going by what I am reading here).

No, he wasn't badmouthing him at all. He simply asked me who sold it to me so he could get to the bottom of the problem. Sorry this is getting out of hand....the point wasnt to shift the blame from the shady seller (my opinion) to how much I paid a tech and how he deals with business.

Like I said earlier on, you aren't seeing all the e-mails that went back and forth between me and the tech and all the troubleshooting and what went into the repair process. I'm fine with how much it costs, just sucks I HAVE to pay it in the first place.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

He may have known exactly what he was selling you. He may have thought he fixed it and was selling you a god game. You might be having a completely different problem with the same part. No way to know. Moving machines with this kind of age is always a risk. Its not uncommon for a move to cause problems in a pin. Or anything electrical/mechanical. In the pinball hobby you have three choices. Buy new, learn to fix them or pay a tech. If your not willing to chose one of these options this hobby is not for you. You will never buy a pin and play it for years to come with no problems. At the very least you will have maintenance. I would never go back to a seller after I get a pin home. If you were given the opportunity to play and thoroughly inspect the pin before buying it, its yours now. If your not experienced enough to find these problems or fix them when they happen then you shouldn't be buying old pins alone. What would you do if your pin tech didn't tell you he had already worked on the pin and that he screwed it up? I ask because you could easily be in the same boat with any pin you buy. It happens with pins. If thats not a risk your willing to take then you shouldn't be buying pins alone. This could have easily happened with no one to blame it on. My point is, you are where you are. We have all made mistakes. We have all gotten pins home and kicked ourselves for missing something or gotten home and said "what did I get my self into".Learn from this, don't agonize over it. Take a tech with you. Take a pinsider with you. Learn, learn ,learn. This hobby is so much more fun(IMO) if you learn how to do your own work.

thanks for the advise. I've accepted this already and I'm fine with it I guess. Just sucks.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

This hobby is so much more fun(IMO) if you learn how to do your own work.

I agree with this totally, I have fixed a few problems with other machines....kinda stings more though when it breaks day one.....and the problem deals with what the seller said he repaired.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

CP is known for boxer issues anyway... it is an inherant problem..

CP is known to have bare wire covered with electrical tape?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 8.50
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 114.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 499.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 60.00
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 10,999.00
    $ 35.00
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 263.55
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 27.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dlbuller.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside