(Topic ID: 210564)

Need advice on Who Dunnit price..(nope lol)

By Frax

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I'm interested in one, but the asking price to me seems...off. I don't want to email this person explaining why I feel it's off and come off as a nutjob, so some backup here would be appreciated. Here's the issues:

Decal damage - left and right side of main cabinet both have half dollar bill sized chunks of black area missing, along with other small scuffs. Head on left side has edge damage, scuffs. Head right side has scratches, and the bottom left corner is chipped in what looks like an inch and a half triangle with at least the top ply gone. Looks like leg damage to the art on the front right corner too.

Coin door is single slot, so likely a reimport? I don't care but I feel it negatively impacts potential resale as I've sold 3 of my last 4 games to arcades. :\

Lower playfield GI and backbox GI are both out. Connectors on provided pictures don't appear burned, so probably someone pooched some traces or there's broken wires in the harness or at a socket along the lines on both.

Ebay prices for this game haven't averaged more than 2700, ever. Seller is asking 2600 OBO. Even if you take 2600 as the start point, ebay fees reduce that to 2340 after fees. Am I out of my mind thinking that 2k would be a fair offer given the condition of this thing? Playfield looks decent, I can't see the elevator ramp entryway however. It may be cracked, or intact. I don't know.

#2 6 years ago

Good luck getting a WPC DMD for 2K these days unless it's totally beat. ANd I doubt you'd be looking at it if it were totally beat.

$2200-$2500 is probably what i'd expect these days. It's kind of a shitty game though so choose wisely.

#3 6 years ago

I'm on the other end of the spectrum with WD. I paid $3250 for a HUO in mint condition. He was asking $3500 and I offered $2600 from others that I had seen online. Since, I have seen them going for ~3K for nicer machines. I disagree on it being a crappy game - has staying power with lots of features and ways to get multiball! Also, one of the better sounding games out there. I do agree that lower 2K is prob about correct given the issues listed.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

kind of a shitty game

I've played it before. I don't necessarily disagree but for some reason it keeps showing up in tournaments, and I like the theme. Wife likes it a lot more than I do, but I just sold her game so...looking for something a bit on the affordable side given we just sold Metallica (and last year, Farfalla) to help out with some bills. I also already have a deal lined up for a game I've been after for YEARS....Night Moves. Wait, maybe I do like crappy games. It's not like Crescendo is amazing.

It's definitely NOT a 3k game for either one of us, however. It might be a 2200 game.

Honestly, if it was entirely my choice, I'd much rather have Demo Man.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I've played it before. I don't necessarily disagree but for some reason it keeps showing up in tournaments, and I like the theme. Wife likes it a lot more than I do, but I just sold her game so...looking for something a bit on the affordable side given we just sold Metallica (and last year, Farfalla) to help out with some bills. I also already have a deal lined up for a game I've been after for YEARS....Night Moves. Wait, maybe I do like crappy games. It's not like Crescendo is amazing.
It's definitely NOT a 3k game for either one of us, however. It might be a 2200 game.
Honestly, if it was entirely my choice, I'd much rather have Demo Man.

I had a nice one and I believe I paid around 2400 for it as part of a package deal. It's...unique, I'll just say that, and has some of that W/B 90s magic. But the whole package just doesn't come together for me and the game seems incredibly easy on factory. And yeah, I'd much rather have Demo Man too!

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I had a nice one and I believe I paid around 2400 for it as part of a package deal. It's...unique, I'll just say that, and has some of that W/B 90s magic. But the whole package just doesn't come together for me and the game seems incredibly easy on factory. And yeah, I'd much rather have Demo Man too!

I think my wife likes it because it's the only game she's ever consistently won.

#7 6 years ago

Check the ramps good as they are unobtainable .I have this game is in my collection and it gets a lot of playtime , most of my guests are casual players

#8 6 years ago

I never have any guests, so not really a concern how other people feel about how a game plays. Trying to run a league out of a 950 sq ft. condo was fun for a while, but it's...limiting, and at times very awkward. DFW community is kind of terrible when it comes to things like just 'hanging out' to play some pinball for some reason, too. I've given up caring.

I offered the guy 2k with some potential wiggle room (if I can check out the game) after explaining my issues. I fully expect to be given the good ol' "GTFO YOU A-HOLE LOWBALLER" response.

#9 6 years ago

Good luck on the purchase, it is a good game to add to a collection. It also seems to be popular with female players.
The one you are describing sounds like a cautionary purchase though....pretty roughed up. Whats under the surface?
Like pinsiders above have mentioned, parts are not always easy to come by.
Have a good look at the ramps, especially the elevator one. Check the slot machine motor too. Used replacements are about all there is currently.

#10 6 years ago

Not happening. Guy wouldn't even humor some negotiation or make a counter offer. Best of luck to him, but when my choices are driving a few hours for a 2500 RFM, driving more hours for a 1400 Elektra, or buying a beat up W?D for 2600 that's not even fully working...

LOL. No. Just no. Homie don't play that. I look forward to seeing it on Craigslist for the next year or so until reality catches up to wishes.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

. Am I out of my mind thinking that 2k would be a fair offer given the condition of this thing? Playfield looks decent, I can't see the elevator ramp entryway however. It may be cracked, or intact. I don't know.

Ha...yeah um good luck with that one. W?D sell for 2700 regularly and has for years.
Decals and reimport aren't gonna get you many monies off. GI is always a good tool that you will probably fix for $3 but could get a hundy or 2 off is lucky. Ramps are always cracked and EQ inserts are almost always jacked up.

But you're right not taking it...it's a totally awesome game; one of the best...
for guests & ladies.
It's more nutty than NGG & lacks the hole-in-one shot. Get MB, hit the timer quick, rack up 30 Jackpots....over & over & over. There is a nice "adventure" angle to it with searching the sewers and yada yada but it really doesn't help or amount to much.
Plus you got issues with the reels all the time and it can be a headache. I jacked mine up one night and never need ot play it again.

#12 6 years ago

I paid $2500 shipped for mine, decent players game, intact center ramp, some playfield clear flaking and alot of bad wiring / switches. I did manage to find a replacement right side ramp that I'll install eventually.

It plays well now and is my wife's fav. It also gets the most play by visitors.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Get MB, hit the timer quick, rack up 30 Jackpots....over & over & over. There is a nice "adventure" angle to it with searching the sewers and yada yada but it really doesn't help or amount to much.

Thing is you can basically say this for every pinball game made. Just search pinside, every game will have someone at some point commenting how it's too easy and/or has no depth because you can just do _____ over and over, rinse and repeat.

Quoted from Flowst:

It also seems to be popular with female players.

I can definitely confirm that.

#14 6 years ago

Yeah, I've never understood that.. people say like "XYZ game has the same shots as everything else, you just shoot the lights!"

Like...really....what else are you supposed to do? There's only so many bloody things a pinball can me made to do with flippers. You can only sequence shots in so many different ways, and pinball is coming up on being 100 years old. It's bloody hard to come up with creative ways to disguise the same ol sh...

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Thing is you can basically say this for every pinball game made.

I understand that to some degree of course, that's the whole "fan layouts are all the same game" which of course isn't true.

Quoted from Frax:

Like...really....what else are you supposed to do?

Code makes games. Solve the the case MB and hit the phone for a full 100K. EVERY SHOT on the game is a JP; EVERY ONE.
It gets to the point if you miss the 100K it's almost not even worth it.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

EVERY SHOT on the game is a JP; EVERY ONE.
It gets to the point if you miss the 100K it's almost not even worth it.

Just want to point out this isn't materially different than the initial code release of Guardians of the Galaxy, except that they de-light and you have to make the last one to relight, and groot locks for multiplier. Big whoop. It's still a jackpot on every shot. I'm pretty sure I could come up with 15-20 other games that either have multiballs or modes that function in the exact same way. There's very few games that really break out of 'pinball trope' jail.

Varkon, Pinball Circus, Banzai Run, Baby Pac, Pin2k and P3. P3 is awesome. I can't wait to see more full featured games for it, because what I played of Lexi last June was amazing and unexpected, even after having played it in the years prior.

#17 6 years ago

I paid 2200 for one I had to do a little work to - replace in and outlane switches, add LED lights, and buy a new exit ramp.

It has some typical 'equipment' insert wear.

#18 6 years ago

Yes the jackpots go away in GOTG like MM or AFM, which isn't like this at all. I'll wait for your short list of games that work the same way.

Edit: appreciate that w? D having 5he same beta code and as a Stern is a good thing

#19 6 years ago

Never said it was a good thing, just noting similarity.

Basically every midnight madness mode ever made by WMS/BLY works as "all shots lit for X value"....most wizard modes for Williams/Bally, Lost in the Zone (TZ) and Final Fontier (STTNG) both stand out as examples on high profile games, though one is considered much easier to get to. Payback Time on No Fear (25M a shot, any shot, for 25 seconds). It's been done to death.

Not that I even needed to bother making the point, since as you say, GOTG is like MM, which is like AFM...etc...etc..

P3 is the only player in the market doing anything innovative at all as far as code/forcing players to make an infinite variety of potential shots. The screen tracking seems like a really really stupid gimmick on the surface, but it's absolutely not.

#20 6 years ago

Dude, midnight madness modes? You usually don't have to reach this far but you're stretching here

I've been listening to you tell us how good you are for a long time so I'm pretty sure you know LITZ does not have jackpots lit on all shots.
I really think you're missing my point only mentioning wizard modes when I'm talking aboot MBs that happen 5+ times a game.

So do some research on these MBs and get to me. No rush

#21 6 years ago

I sold my Who Dunnit years ago. Never clicked for me.

But my good buddy was gagging for one, so I’ve been looking for him for ages. Over a year.

Finally got a really sweet one from TeeKee (listed on Pinside) for $3000 last month. It’s 9/10.

Very rare to find one with no wear around the weapons inserts (the little dagger etc)

As others have stated, that centre ramp is often broken and never available.

If the one you’re looking at has a mint playfield, and a good centre ramp, it’s probably worth close to what he’s asking, IMO. It’s no big deal to replace cabinet decals ... a lot easier (and cheaper) than doing a playfield!

My 10c

rd

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

pretty sure you know LITZ does not have jackpots lit on all shots.

To be honest, it's been a long time so I'm more than willing to admit wrongness here. I only ever got LITZ like once when I owned it, and TZ doesn't show up in tournaments around here (sadly!).

I don't need to do any other research. It doesn't matter, man. You have your preference, I have mine. I don't have an issue with W?D because I'm *terrible* at the game, and could use some practice, so I wouldn't mind owning it for a while. Nothing complicated to understand there. Will I get bored with it? Hell yeah. I got bored with LOTR! There's not a pinball machine that's ever been produced that I won't be bored of after owning it for 6 months. Sucks for me, but it's GREAT for the community, as I have previously brought in a lot of games into our market from other areas, so everyone gets to benefit from my short attention span.

Just to be clear: This guy responded, did not budge at all, and I'm not spending 2600 on a beat up cabinet with missing wood. I don't give a shit if the ramp IS intact, and that there's no apparent wear on the weapon inserts. It's not a 2600 buck game to me, or my wife.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

no big deal to replace cabinet decals

In a 950 square foot condo with 2 kids, a wife, and no garage? And no decals available for this game?

Yeah. Good luck with that. Not everyone has the privilege to have the space to do this, or the materials and access to printing equipment to remake cabinet art.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

In a 950 square foot condo with 2 kids, a wife, and no garage? And no decals available for this game?
Yeah. Good luck with that. Not everyone has the privilege to have the space to do this, or the materials and access to printing equipment to remake cabinet art.

I think Pete at retrorefurbs can print you a set of decals...if you have a 10x10 bedroom you can clear out for a weekend your all set.

#25 6 years ago

Cool game and getting expensive but poor condition really kills the price on this one because no one makes a PF, translite, cab decals, plastics or any of the ramps or special bits.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I think Pete at retrorefurbs can print you a set of decals...if you have a 10x10 bedroom you can clear out for a weekend your all set.

SMH.....days like this I wonder why I ever bother posting anything, because clearly nobody actually reads anything anymore.

How many bedrooms do you guys have in your 950 sqaure foot condos?

Draining my own thread now. Thanks to the people that offered actual useful feedback.

#27 6 years ago

I don't know why you'd need that much space to do decals. Just be sure to do all your sanding outside!

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

SMH.....days like this I wonder why I ever bother posting anything, because clearly nobody actually reads anything anymore.
How many bedrooms do you guys have in your 950 sqaure foot condos?
Draining my own thread now. Thanks to the people that offered actual useful feedback.

Wow, ok change "bedroom" to eating area or living room...my point is you can do it quickly without a lot of space...
SMH...I guess pointing you in the direction of getting decals you thought you couldnt get and offering a suggestion on how to get it done is not "actual usefull feedback

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Frax old mate, I don’t know if I’ve ever met such a “glass half empty” guy ...

Try being more positive! It will make each day just that little bit happier.

rd

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, NJ
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Altoona, PA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Sussex, WI
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-advice-on-who-dunnit-price and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.