Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mollyspub
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I've been looking for a Bally Indy500 and have a Starwars pro for sale. A Pinside member reached out to me saying he's willing to trade. He's 6 hrs away but willing to make the drive. We've exchanged texts and has sent me some pics. He's only asked me for a pic of a flaw on the playfield and asked if SW is like new.( which it is )
    So what happens if he makes the trip only to find out his game isn't what he's said it was / pics arent accurate? He just takes a hike and made the drive for nothing? Do i set up his game to make sure it boots up/ plays ok?
    My collection is in my basement . Do I help him get SW out? What if he hurts himself and decides to sue?
    What advice can you guys give me?

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from mollyspub:

Do i set up his game to make sure it boots up/ plays ok?

I would.

Quoted from mollyspub:

Do I help him get SW out?

Yes.

Quoted from mollyspub:

What if he hurts himself and decides to sue?

Sounds a little to paranoid to be trading games. Gets yours to the main floor so easy out if he makes the trade. Lest you can do since he's making a 6 hour drive.

Quoted from mollyspub:

So what happens if he makes the trip only to find out his game isn't what he's said it was / pics arent accurate? He just takes a hike and made the drive for nothing?

Yes.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

Agree with LTG. I would definitely setup the I500 and play it to make sure it’s working okay. If it’s cold outside you’re going to need to let it warm up before you turn it on, while you're waiting he can inspect your SW and play it. If you post the Pinside member’s name people may be able to vouch for them...or tell you to steer clear.

#4 2 years ago

Ask for a new batch of pics and maybe ask him to Facetime the game and include some gameplay. Is this an established member of Pinside with good feedback or a 7 day old account with 1 forum post and no location? Do your homework, there’s a lot of “new guys” that pop up whenever a game goes up for sale. Trust your instincts, If he brings the game set it up and offer for him to check yours out as you do the same. I always give people a hand loading and unloading.

#5 2 years ago

I’d ask for more pictures detailing all the flaws and make a better decision. If the I500 isn’t to your standards but really want it, ask him for cash on top? If the deal proceeds, help a guy out loading and unloading both games.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from mollyspub:

What if he hurts himself and decides to sue?

Your homeowners policy should have coverage for liability. Talk to your insurance agent. Get it in writing.

#7 2 years ago

I always say exactly what I am doing before I show up and pick up a game- I am going to arrive, look at the game, I do not plan on renegotiating, Pay you, break it down, Do you have a dolly? Stairs?, I need your help getting it out the door And load, I say Thanks for selling And be on My way. Any of this a problem??

Do this for the trade. Don’t have him get there and then decide.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from BudManPinFan:

Agree with LTG. I would definitely setup the I500 and play it to make sure it’s working okay. If it’s cold outside you’re going to need to let it warm up before you turn it on, while you're waiting he can inspect your SW and play it. If you post the Pinside member’s name people may be able to vouch for them...or tell you to steer clear.

Jollyjoker82

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from mollyspub:

So what happens if he makes the trip only to find out his game isn't what he's said it was / pics arent accurate? He just takes a hike and made the drive for nothing?

He's taking the bigger risk - packing up an old game and driving with it for 6 hours and hoping nothing breaks/comes loose in transport. I would exchange as many pics and ideally videos needed (or even a facetime walkthrough) to get comfortable with everything.

Quoted from mollyspub:

Do i set up his game to make sure it boots up/ plays ok?

I would for sure, and inspect the boards, etc. as if I was buying it anywhere else. Keep in mind that he will have loaded it up and driven it for 6 hours, so a wire may come loose, etc.

Quoted from mollyspub:

Do I help him get SW out? What if he hurts himself and decides to sue?

I would try and get it out before hand and up to your garage, etc. if you can. If he is loading up his game I would assume he is comfortable, but I always am nervous helping people move a game out of their place in case I were to accidentally damage their house, door frame, etc. The more you can prep on your end the better.

#10 2 years ago

I traded my RFM for a Tommy and JD.

All 3 were sight unseen, neither of us knew each other and we swapped games at a gas station in the middle of nowhere. Neither of us inspected or powered up each other’s games. Stupid move on my part and probably his. Both of us went home happy.

That’s pretty much your best case scenario for playing the “what if” game. I wouldn’t do it again.

#11 2 years ago

I have never made any trades yet.

But I think if I was going to, and drive 6 hours, I would bring cash with me in case I liked the game I was wanting, and the other person did not like my game after seeing it.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I have never made any trades yet.
    But I think if I was going to, and drive 6 hours, I would bring cash with me in case I liked the game I was wanting, and the other person did not like my game after seeing it.

That sounds like a good way to go if you are the one driving.

#13 2 years ago

I always wondered how it decided who is the one to got to the other. I'd have a hard time just exchanging wrapped up games middway.

2 weeks later
    #14 2 years ago

If anyone cares about the outcome...
    I bought the Indy500 and ended up selling my Starwars to seperate Pinside members
    Thanks to all for the advice !

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-advice-on-trading-games?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.